The UK General Election

edited April 2015 in General Discussion Posts: 12,837
I remember we had a thread for the US presidential election so I thought I'd start one for us Brits :P

Who's everyone voting for then?

Comments

They're all as trustworthy as this party,
    monster-raving-loony.png
    So I will have to think long and hard before casting my vote.
    I wish I lived in South Thanet, as this guy would definitely get my vote
    murray.jpg
    Yeah I'm still not 100% sure who I'm voting for either. I know that I'm definitely not voting for UKIP though.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    The Ulster Unionists for me.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited April 2015 Posts: 11,139
    I'm really reconsidering if I should bother voting.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    You have to go with the party you think will deliver for you personally, rather than take some idealistic stance.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    n-film-machete-kills-2145-12.jpg

"Dimi don't vote."

Because I'm not British! :D

But I am looking forward to the results, guys, so happy voting. ;-)
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I know that I'm definitely not voting for UKIP though.

Well done. I'll send you a badge saying 'I'm not a racist' then which is, I presume, the reason you felt the need to state this.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    No matter who you vote for you still end up with a government .
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Democracy is the worst form of government on Earth (Winston Churchill).
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

Well done. I'll send you a badge saying 'I'm not a racist' then which is, I presume, the reason you felt the need to state this.

How kind of you Wiz. Very Alan Partridge that! :))
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    If voting changed anything, we wouldn't be allowed to do it ! :D
    Labour has said they wouldn't change the conservative plans so
    If you vote for the two major political parties, you get the same
    Outcome. How is that a " Choice". :))
    I think Douglas Adams put it best:
    Ford: On its world, the people are people. The leaders are lizards. The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people.
    Arthur: Odd, I thought you said it was a democracy.
    Ford: I did, It is.
    Arthur: So, why don't people get rid of the lizards?
    Ford: It honestly doesn't occur to them, They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates to the government they want.
    Arthur: You mean they actually vote for the lizards?
    Ford: Oh yes, of course.
    Arthur: But, why?
    Ford: Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, the wrong lizard might get in. Some people say that the lizards are the best thing that ever happened to them. They're completely wrong of course, completely and utterly wrong, but someone's got to say it.
    DrGorner wrote: »
    If you vote for the two major political parties, you get the same
    Outcome.

Not quite. If you vote Tory you get the same as usual. If you vote Labour this time you get SNP.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    The Ulster Unionists for me.

Out of interest Draggers (and because I'm terrified of Nicola Sturgeon draining all my money north to cover even more dole and deep fried mars bar induced heart disease) how does NI break down? Will there be a solid block of Unionist MPs who the Tories could do a deal with to block the Labour/SNP stitch up that is looking inevitable? Or are all the NI parties naturally drawn to old Labour values anyway so would never deal with the Tories?
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited April 2015 Posts: 5,131
    Conservatives, just as Bond would. Labour were in charge when the 2007 recession hit and Milliband is no PM/ Leader. Conservatives have served me (personally) well since their election and despite being watered down by the weak Lib Dems.
    Not sure yet. Probably Lib Dem. The Tory will get elected where I live as it is one of their safest seats (he's been here for 25 years or so). But I find them too socially conservative for my taste and Labour still needs to be punished for Iraq. So by default it has to be Lib Dem unless I'm very daring and vote Green. But I don't find them serious at all.
  • Democracy is the worst form of government on Earth (Winston Churchill).

..."except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time..."

Dictatorship, is best, like under Maggie ! :))
    Dictatorship, is best, like under Maggie ! :))

Hear, hear!!

No, I stated it because it's the only thing I was really sure of. There are many reasons I'm not voting for them.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Not sure yet. Probably Lib Dem. The Tory will get elected where I live as it is one of their safest seats (he's been here for 25 years or so). But I find them too socially conservative for my taste and Labour still needs to be punished for Iraq. So by default it has to be Lib Dem unless I'm very daring and vote Green. But I don't find them serious at all.

I voted for the Lib Dems last time but they left a sour taste in my mouth after the coalition with the Tories so I don't think I'll be voting for them this year. I'm really not sure.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    It Allways seems to me that the electorate have in the main short memories if you look back over the last fourty or more years the Country has Allways been in a much poorer condition after a period of Labour being in power just look at the mess we were left in before the last General Election .
    Ludovico wrote: »

I voted for the Lib Dems last time but they left a sour taste in my mouth after the coalition with the Tories so I don't think I'll be voting for them this year. I'm really not sure.

They disappointed me too, but since it's Lib Dem who got more chances (if any) to beat the Tories in my constituency, I'll probably vote for them. And their candidate looks like a likeable idiot so I'll be voting for him out of pity too.
    The problem is they all sound the same when it comes to the mainstream parties? I think it will be another coalition government though!
    I'm sure it will be, there's hardly any chance that any party will get enough seats for a majority parliament (over 326 seats) and they'd have to either be extremely brave or extremely stupid to go into a minority government, as there's the chance that whatever laws they want to pass get out voted.

It would be similar to the situation in America at the moment, where the President is Democrat, but both the House and the Senate are Republican, making it extremely difficult for him to pass any laws.
    I've heard a few political correspondents saying that we could have two
    Elections this year ! ;)
    we could have two Elections this year ! ;)
    How so?

They seem to think we'll either have a weak minority government or an equally
    Weak coalition, which will fail or fall apart quickly. The same thing happened in
    Weak coalition is much more likely than a week minority.
    I think instead of another election, they just stick the leaders names in a
    Tombola, and who ever is picked out forms a government. :D
    I found out that one of my local candidates was a "Gogglebox" celebrity. I love that they think D-list celebrity = votes... bless.