'The Spectator' Article - The Heckler: Why it's time to kill off James Bond

DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
in Bond Movies Posts: 17,786

Comments

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    What's more worrying is the comments on the article.
    I see no reason to kill the franchise, it's currently profitable, getting critical acclaim and for what it's worth I think they're doing a very good job.

On a related note, I think it would be fitting if Craig's Bond retires or dies is his last film. If the crew as the guts to do that I don't know, but I think it would be awesome to have Craig's Bond have a true end. Whatever they do they can still reboot the series with a new actor.
    The "provincial loan shark's enforcer" comment was absolutely hilarious, and oddly poignant.
    Looking through, I wouldn't be surprised if they personally emailed everyone who has ever commented on that CnB site and asked them to comment to give their article credence.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 591
    The way I see it is if these people got what they wanted and we were still doing Bond films the way they did them in the 60's and 70's and so on, then people would still be moaning and complaining.
    I am so tired of this "home alone comparison". Setting traps does not make something home alone. Far cry from a "ripoff"
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 7,500
    No reason to be offended or even take any of this incoherent bollocks remotely seriously. Neither the comments. Hateful people in the minority on a viewpoint, tend to be barking the loudest.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited April 2015 Posts: 13,894
    Agree: that's why I've never been a great consumer of Bond films. The last one I saw in a theatre was Timothy Dalton's (and I was very young then). And the featured woman, who seemed to be a mouth-breather and nothing special in any department, was really disappointing - Callipygian.

32397364.jpg
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 4,622
    There's nothing more fun than watching a Bond movie, preferably a double-bill, and any two Bond fims really, with good sized picture decent sound.
    Actually the critique and comments, I find to be funny in parts, but it doesn't change the fact, all Bonds films IMO, are greater than the sum of their parts.
    They all work as grand entertainment, and as escape into the exciting world of 007.
    Most of that was a load of shite but to be fair I did find this bit sort of interesting

"Despite the current tensions between Russia and the West, we can expect to see Bond praising the fine people of Mexico, or taking photographs of it with his Sony mobile phone."

I like having escapist plots detached from reality but I think it is a shame that the series can't really play on real world events like it could in the past. This is more a problem with films as a whole though. I mean the only acceptable real world target seemed to be North Korea (the Red Dawn remake, originally featuring a much more plausible Chinese invasion, pussied out and replaced them with the Koreans) but after everything that happened with The Interview I bet even they won't be used as bad guys anymore.

Still, in some scenarios it's for the best. I mean for example, as satisfying as it could be to watch Bond defeat ISIS in the PTS or something (as a full film it wouldn't work because they're just not Bondanian enough to be villains), it's not worth the risk of some jihadist setting off a bomb at the premiere.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Yikes, It's like a social justice warrior convention. =))
    What a load of bull.
    Are we really making an issue out of 21 comments? Come on. Not worth the time. As for the article, its easy to find something to moan about in everything you choose. Easy...
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I agree with @Germanlady.
    Some folks don't like Bond. The rest paid for Skyfall's 1 billion plus results.
    What's more worrying is the comments on the article.
    A loud but VERY SMALL vocal minority, I think.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I agree with @Germanlady.
    Some folks don't like Bond. The rest paid for Skyfall's 1 billion plus results.
    Exactly.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    What a sorry piece of shit.
    An amusing read that questions the franchise which is fair enough as every other franchise gets the same treatment and the 007 franchise is nothing special in that aspect.
    And the responses are funny and give a good insight in those who wrote them.
    I'll pass on reading it as it sounds like a dull attempt at clickbait. Anytime there's an article about "Is it time to end... (insert name of incredibly popular and beloved thing)", its a ploy to get angry comments.
    The_Balm wrote: »

On a related note, I think it would be fitting if Craig's Bond retires or dies is his last film. If the crew as the guts to do that I don't know, but I think it would be awesome to have Craig's Bond have a true end. Whatever they do they can still reboot the series with a new actor.

Yeah I have wondered about this, will Craig be the first Bond to get a true Final Film that's a definite ending to his era, whether its Bond dying, retiring, or having a YOLT-style "goes missing" ending. It seems there's a specific arc running from CR to SPECTRE, so hopefully they have something in mind for the finish.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    People have been saying that Bond is dead since I can remember. It just keeps going though, doesn't it? The franchise hasn't been this healthy since the golden age of the 60's. A few detractors isn't going to derail it anytime soon.
    Half of the article is based on speculation based on the leaks and internet gossip, drawing conclusions about the finished film, without having seen it. The rest is just misinformed bias. (e.g. product placement as a sign of the series' decline? apparently the guy stopped watching Bond films in the 60s). isn't worth our time
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    The Spectator can go die in a hole.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 11,425
    Amusing article, some of which I agree with.

There are real dangers with the route EON have taken. But Bond will return - it's no reason to bump him off. The Craig films are far superior to the Brosnan era, but the writing is still all too often abysmal.

I agree Skyfall was a fiasco and the sense of genuine, well executed fun and tight plotting has been lost.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 1,595
    What a sorry piece of shit.
    The Spectator can go die in a hole.

Seems like a few of the comments here are equally full of hatred. The author of the piece is entitled to his/her opinion.

Obviously I don't agree with much of it, but there were a few bits that I agreed with. I really liked that line about frivolity and deftness of touch, as well as the bit about Craig's "plumber" Bond. What is odd about that comment, however, is that while the author spends time criticizing SF it was precisely that film that rubbed out some of the blue collar aspects of Craig's Bond and brought more Fleming in.

But yeah, most of the article I find amusing at best, and obviously disagree with its general thesis.
    Yes, that line about frivolity and deftness of touch is spot on although the author is wrong about EON not wanting to offend people - the EON films have always been like that really.

I feel the point about deftness of touch acutely. I think that's what's been missing since the end of the Dalton era. CR and QoS had it in parts, but it never really comes together as a whole package any more. It feels like we get flashes of greatness but not the real deal.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2015 Posts: 23,883
    An amusing diatribe, and obviously written by someone who may have been a member of danielcraigisnotbond.com, and who is evidently still missing the later Brosnan era and perhaps DAD in particular.

I wouldn't give it much thought.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 48
    It's gotta be an inside joke. The "Spectator"? "Kill James Bond"? Hahaha EW said the same thing before Skyfall and we know how that turned out. Either way it makes things a little more dramatic and interesting. So Bond has his villains both on and off the screen.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 1,068
    Well, if this is really what the world truly feels about Bond, they may as well not bother filming any more footage of SP.

Maybe do a movie instead about how fantastic and rewarding trolling around any opinion site on the net is and how it can give such an enormous feeling of importance, accomplishment and well being.

Back to this appropriate image then:

DC%20big%20issue_1.jpg
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    andmcit wrote: »
    Maybe do a movie instead about how fantastic and rewarding trolling around any opinion site on the net is and how it can give such an enormous feeling of importance, accomplishment and well being.

WAVE-LINK: Dressed to Kill.
    "Trust the trolls, they just know." =))

bondjames wrote: »
    An amusing diatribe, and obviously written by someone who may have been a member of danielcraigisnotbond.com, and who is evidently still missing the later Brosnan era and perhaps DAD in particular.

I wouldn't give it much thought.

Again, I don't see it that way at all. He goes out of his way to praise CR. I don't think this is coming from the perspective of someone who liked DAD.

Not sure why people insist on conflating criticism of Craig era with a supposed love of Brosnan.

It is possible to dislike the Brosnan films AND still have serious reservations about Craig's era. I should know!

SF and TWINE are disturbingly similar films.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2015 Posts: 23,883
    His comments on plumbing, ab gazing, exploding pens, pyrotechnics, and gadget laden cars in particular led me to conclude that he does in fact dislike Craig and indeed does miss the later overblown Brosnan years. If he had commented on that later period as well then I would have accepted it as more balanced.

He obviously hasn't got a clue. MR's studio work was filmed in France due to UK tax burdens in the late 70's so this has been going on for years, not just during Craig's run. The Omegas, Brioni's and BMW's were all over the place during the 90's as well so product placement is nothing new.

As I said, I wouldn't give this much thought. SP will do the walking in November. This fool can keep on heckling.
    I agree it's not a balanced view. But he clearly actually liked CR, so I don't think this is an attack on Craig, more the direction his era has taken since CR. The gym bunny physique does suggest a certain metrosexual vanity that previous Bonds lacked. How many times has DC been portrayed staring into a mirror?

I like DC, but am not sure how well he's been served by the scripts and directors. I still don't feel he's given the definitive fully formed Bond he's capable of.