The New Spectre Logo

Comments

• SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Old topic of other members tattoo's if your interested. http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/3982/bond-related-tattoos
    HMBFF wrote: »
    The 2015 logo.

spectre_mk_logo.png

This is from Sony or did you make it?

It looks just fantastic, seems to be an Original Sony logo!
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    Funny, I was watching FRWL a few weeks ago and noticed then that what I'd always understood to be a octopus looked actually far more like a ghoul or a ghost...a Spectre if you will ;).

The one in TB though is definitely more 'octopussy'. Perhaps something changed between the films for EON to rebrand the organisation slightly, with the tentacles being a strong visualisation of the influence of the organisation? I'm guessing Ken Adam was responsible for the designs so wonder if he's ever made mention of it.

As for the new one, I think it's somewhere in between so perhaps the new designers weren't sure either.

I agree with you. I'm fairly convinced that the original logo was always intended to be a ghost. I don't see anything other than some kind of ghastly spirit when looking at the FRWL design.

What tickles me the most is the fact that even after all these years, there doesn't seem to be any definitive answer though.
  • eddychaputeddychaput Montreal, Canada
    Funny, I've actually always seen the logo as an octopus. I understand that that doesn't correspond to the name of the organization itself, but that's what my eyes and mind always saw.
  • ChiefTannerChiefTanner Wilmington, DE, USA
    I think the ghost is what it was meant to be. That said, in the films, Thunderball most notably have SPECTRE dealing often in undersea exploits. That, plus the later twisted nature of Blofeld and the points made about Octopussy could have led to the shift in view of the symbol.

Also I want to note that in the FRWL playstation video game, some issue with rights (I believe the Mclory thing) meant they couldn't use Spectre, so instead they called it O.C.T.O.P.U.S
    eve.jpg
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    jTap6zj.jpg
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I like the logo but it looks nothing like an octopus but clearly a ghost/ghoul
    Octopus
    Only Seven arms
    7 letters in SPECTRE
    Cthulhu, maybe?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Giugiaro wrote: »
    Octopus
    Only Seven arms
    7 letters in SPECTRE

The colour spectre has seven colours.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    All is speculation until we see the finished product in full in the cinema. Only then will we truly know what the new SPECTRE and its new logo is meant to represent.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    All is speculation until we see the finished product in full in the cinema. Only then will we truly know what the new SPECTRE and its new logo is meant to represent.

The latest photo came from the official profile on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBond007GB/photos/a.175707369188755.40681.167093060050186/901731263253025
    Wouldn't mind one of those rings to be honest!
  • DsyferDsyfer Philippines
    edited August 2015 Posts: 16
    I'm a new James Bond fan. And to be honest, at first glance I thought the SPECTRE logo was a spider. I just recently realized that it was an octopus.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    It's neither. It's a ghost.
    It's not officially any of them. It's still conjecture, unless explained on screen in SPECTRE.

As others have pointed out:-

In FRWL it looks more ghost like ghost
    In Thunderball it looks more like an Octopus
    In YOLT it looks like it's definitely an octopus.

In the FRWL video game, SPECTRE is renamed OCTOPUS.

In GoldenEye: Rouge Agent, the SPECTRE logo can be seen at the Octopus Black Market.

I think it's left up to us what the logo is meant to be. If you think it's a ghost, it's a ghost, if you think it's an octopus, it's an octopus B-)
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Always thought it was an octopus. The arms symbolize its tentacle-like reach into every aspect of crime.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Except that the name SPECTRE aligns correctly with the ghost or apparition, to me that is conclusive enough.
    Exactly.
    Also there is this version

jamesbond007goldeneyerogueagent-02.jpg
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited August 2015 Posts: 7,518
    the 007.com website references it as an Octopus, for what it's worth.
    I've always thought octopus, but obviously ghost makes a lot of sense.

Source: http://www.007.com/iconic-spectre-prop-added-to-exhibition/
    If Eon/007.com are referencing "a more up-to-date version of the SPECTRE octopus ring" then that's quite a strong reference/provenance.
    How about the ghost of an octopus?

Part of me still think it's Cthulhu.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Blofeld's a Lovecraft fan?
    JCRendle wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Blofeld's a Lovecraft fan?

Or a Cthulhu worshiper. Maybe that was the ultimate plan: wake up the Great Old One.
    Giugiaro wrote: »
    Octopus
    Only Seven arms
    7 letters in SPECTRE

The colour spectre has seven colours.

Don't you mean colour spectrum.

I've always seen the logo as a ghostly apparition rather than an octopus but like the references to each arm of the one organisation.

It's all just a terrible ponderous fudge anyway when you hear the spelled out acronym and the SP twin letters bridged into SPECTRE! No wonder someone hid the whole thing with a scary looking ghost/ octopus logo thingy!
    I guess that settles it. I don't see a ghost resemblance to be honest. Can you share some pictures of ghosts that look anything like the spectre logo?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    SD_Villan_309.gif
    In those (and any other picture of a ghost) the tail to torso ratio greatly favors the torso. In the spectre logo the tails (or tentacles in my mind) are longer than the torso. That's why I've never thought of a ghost.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited August 2015 Posts: 7,518
    I fully expect the film to reference Quantum as one of SPECTREs many tentacles