"A licence to kill is USELESS if you can't set up a target." - M ordering Bond to murder

OnlyManWhoCanOnlyManWhoCan Greater London
edited March 2015 in Bond Movies Posts: 202
"A licence to kill is useless, if you can't set up a target."

So says M in OHMSS. Now, I loved the Spectre teaser and have found the Craig films to be mostly excellent, but it has struck me that Bond, whom I would describe as a sort-of state-sanctioned assassin, is often portrayed as more of a detective in the films. He's perhaps the most famous spy in fiction so of course his job will involve some sleuthing but it seems that it is very rare that his licence to kill is requested to be used by M.

I got some perverse satisfaction in SF when M ordered Bond to terminate Patrice, and I long for another nice-and-simple Bond film which begins with M ordering 007 to kill a target.

I think the pre-titles of CR work so well as it resets the playing field and reminds the audience that Bond has a dirty job at the end of the day. (It was also really refreshing in TLD that Bond was ordered to protect the defector at any cost). (I can't think of a Moore film where he's ordered to kill someone, rather than him stumbling into gunfights while following a MacGuffin).

I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth - like I said I think Spectre is going to be excellent (although I will be disappointed if Bond has a personal connection with the head of the organisation, because this is a tired trope across cinema that needs to be put to bed) - but it must be terribly difficult to run the 00-Section when your top agent keeps having to deal with his personal baggage!

What do you think? Do you think Bond's licence to kill should be requested more, or should it be down to Bond to decide when and whom he murders?

Comments

I have not read any of the leaked script info, thus I don't know the nature of Bond's secret. However, judging from the burnt photo, the person on the right whose head is missing would seem a person of interest. I hope this is not a brother, cousin, or school chum who has now become Blofeld. In fact, I hope it's just a kid with no connection whatsoever and the photo is something found along side the actual important document.
    That Blofeld says finally we meet, instead of again, gives me hope.

I have noted previously, I would like to see Bond unburdened by dead lovers, psychological scars, and just get on with the gratuitous sex and violence we know he
    is capable of.

I