MOVIE POLL 2015: Best Sam Mendes-Film Poll (TOP 6, DEADLINE OCTOBER 18TH!)

edited September 2015 in General Movies & TV Posts: 11,119
I think there's no such topic dedicated to Sam Mendes' filmography. So it's time to indulge in the wunderful movies British director Sam Mendes has created so far. I kindly ask you to make a TOP 6-ranking of all 6 films Sam Mendes has directed so far. So....which are your favourites?

I kindly ask you to judge all titles as "films" in the broadest sense. Try to judge the film unbiased; try to judge the films by putting your "Bond fandom" away for a bit ;-). Here's the list:

1999, 8.4 IMDB: "American Beauty" (nominated for 8 Oscars; of which 5 Oscar wins)
2002, 7.7 IMDB: "Road To Perdition" (nominated for 6 Oscars; of which 1 Oscar win)
2005, 7.1 IMDB: "Jarhead"
2008, 7.3 IMDB: "Revolutionary Road" (nominated for 3 Oscars, 1 Golden Globe win)
2009, 7.1 IMDB: "Away We Go"
2012, 7.9 IMDB: "Skyfall" (nominated for 5 Oscars; of which 2 Oscar wins)

Comments

Anyone? This would be my TOP 6:

01 - "American Beauty"
    02 - "Revolutionary Road"
    03 - "Skyfall"
    04 - "Road To Perdition
    05 - "Jarhead"
    06 - "Away We Go"
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 11,425
    1. American Beauty
    2. Away We Go
    3. Revolutionary Road
    4. Jarhead
    5. Road to Perdition

6. Skyfail
    "Skyfall" 6???
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    1. AB
    2. RTP
    3. SF
    4. RR
    5. AWG
    6. JH
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 11,425
    "Skyfall" 6???

I said Skyfail.

We must have seen watching different movies. ;)
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    1. Skyfall
    2. Revolutionary Road
    3. Road to Perdition
    4. American Beauty
    5. Jarhead

I didn't see Away We Go.
    You should see it.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 1,407
    1. American Beauty
    2. Road To Perdition
    3. Skyfall
    4. Revolutionary Road (I LOVE that Michael Shannon performance)
    5. Jarhead
    6. Away We Go (Not bad, but really isn't anything special)
    I would put "RR" higher than "SF". The movie truly touched me. It basically answers the question: "What happens if you can not fulfill your dream job?" Roger Moore once said that luck is so damn important for becoming such a generously paid actor. More people should realize that.... Not every dream can be made possible.
    I think RR is an underrated gem. It kind of hits on the same notes as American Beauty in the fact of "being stuck in the suburbs", which I can relate to highly, so both films hit a personal note for me. I put Skyfall ahead of it because I truly think it's a better overall film but RR is only just below it.
    bondbat007 wrote: »
    I think RR is an underrated gem. It kind of hits on the same notes as American Beauty in the fact of "being stuck in the suburbs", which I can relate to highly, so both films hit a personal note for me. I put Skyfall ahead of it because I truly think it's a better overall film but RR is only just below it.

I can relate to "RR" so much, because also I tried so hard to pursue my dreams, like doing radio, presenting. It....just never truly worked out :-(. Sometimes I really envy TV and movie stars. It's just the kind of job...you need a big dose of luck with.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2015 Posts: 15,690
    1. Road to Perdition
    2; Skyfall
    3. Revolutionary Road
    4. American Beauty
    5. Jarhead

Haven't seen Away We Go.
    1. Road to Perdition
    2; Skyfall
    3. Revolutionary Road
    4. American Beauty
    5. Jarhead

Haven't seen Away We Go.

Not a big fan of "AB" and "RR"?
    I highly recommend Away We Go, but I may be a little biased as my fiancé was an extra in it! ;-)
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    1. American Beauty (one of the best movies ever)
    2. Road To Perdition
    3. Skyfall
    4. Revolutionary Road
    5. Jarhead

I've never seen Away We Go.
    Sam Mendes had top films?
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Sam Mendes had top films?

Uhm. Yes.
    JET007 wrote: »
    I highly recommend Away We Go, but I may be a little biased as my fiancé was an extra in it! ;-)

You're a cute couple @JET007 ;-).

I'm actually curious to see a non American's view of American Beauty. Does it hold the same weight? I think it can relate to many people but I'm curious to what others think.
    JET007 wrote: »

You're a cute couple @JET007 ;-).

Thanks! She's my own Bond Girl for sure!
    1 American Beauty
    2 Skyfall
    3 Road to Perdition

haven't seen the rest
    Please continue voting in this poll ;-). I have a feeling that quite a lot of Bond fans aren't fully acquinted with the Mendes films...so far ;-).
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 4,619
    1. Road To Perdition 5/5
    2. American Beauty 5/5
    3. Revolutionary Road 5/5
    4. Skyfall 5/5
    5. Away We Go 4/5
    6. Jarhead 3/5

Btw Sam Mendes is one of my three favourite directors working today. I can still hardly believe that he directed a Bond film, not to mention that he is currently directing his second one. @-)
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    1. Skyfall.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 1,021
    This is quite a tough one. I really like all the films that Sam Mendes has directed. I would still put JARHEAD last though. They are all well made and brilliantly directed with fantastic performances throughout. I probably Watch SF more than the others but here goes -

1 - American Beauty
    2 - Skyfall
    3 - Road To Perdition
    4 - Revolutionary Road
    5 - Away We Go
    6- Jarhead

I was really happy when Sam Mendes was mentioned as the director of SF and like @PanchitoPistoles has mentioned above I can't believe that he is now directing his second! I hope this great director stays on and does his third after SPECTRE. As BB and MGW mentioned in a recent interview he is a great actors director and he has now proved himself as a great action director with SF and SP. He blends the 2 perfectly and from how they talk about him I can see them trying to keep him on for a few more. Lets hope so. We Bond fans are lucky to have such a great director at the helm of the Bond films...
    This is quite a tough one. I really like all the films that Sam Mendes has directed. I would still put JARHEAD last though. They are all well made and brilliantly directed with fantastic performances throughout. I probably Watch SF more than the others but here goes -

1 - American Beauty
    2 - Skyfall
    3 - Road To Perdition
    4 - Revolutionary Road
    5 - Away We Go
    6- Jarhead

I was really happy when Sam Mendes was mentioned as the director of SF and like @PanchitoPistoles has mentioned above I can't believe that he is now directing his second! I hope this great director stays on and does his third after SPECTRE. As BB and MGW mentioned in a recent interview he is a great actors director and he has now proved himself as a great action director with SF and SP. He blends the 2 perfectly and from how they talk about him I can see them trying to keep him on for a few more. Lets hope so. We Bond fans are lucky to have such a great director at the helm of the Bond films...

Jup, fully agreed. He's a real "coup". And for me he's already the Terence Young/Peter Hunt of our days. I'm particularly a fan of Young's Bond films DN, FRWL and TB. And off course Hunt's OHMSS
  • 1. American Beauty
    2. Skyfall
    3. Road To Perdition
    4. Jarhead
    5. Away We Go
    6. Revolutionary Road

Sam Mendes is easily one of my top 3 favorite directors, and I couldn't think of anybody better to be directing the Bond franchise right now. It's a really tight race for the first three movies, especially between SF and RTP, but American Beauty stands with There Will Be Blood as my all time favorite film.
    Hey @RC7 ! Please jump into this topic and give your thoughts ;-). I'm curious what you think.

1 - American Beauty
    2 - Skyfall
    3 - Road To Perdition
    4 - Revolutionary Road
    5 - Away We Go
    6- Jarhead

Great action director?
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    He's no Michael bay;)