And On That Bombshell The Grand Tour is with us what do you think ?.

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    If the format is shaken up, I might start watching again.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    And on this bombshell

they did end the show. Could've made a more interesting end to it. Like, in the show itself. But i must say I can't blame the BBC if their statement is true.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I'm guessing another channel will get the three lads, a similar format, and off they go.
    It's a sad mess, could've been delt with better.
    Loved the reaction interview on Sky from James May. When asked who he would like to work with now? He said "Although I think he is a knob, I would like to work with Jeremy!"
    :)) Nice one Captain Slow! :-bd

And he said they come as a 3! So no May or Hammond either. They already said Sky, ITV and Netflix are circling to offer JC a job! Say bye bye to a lot of money BBC!

PS. Don't put our TV licence's up to cover your losses!
    Yes it's a Threesome or Nothing ! :D
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    But it also means half of continental Europe which does have BBC one and 2 for free, won't be able to see the new shows.. :-(
    But it also means half of continental Europe which does have BBC one and 2 for free, won't be able to see the new shows.. :-(

They can always torrent them...
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    My reaction to the whole cancellation was rather.... 'meh'.

Top Gear was fresh and daring when it revealed itself in it's 'new' fomat at the beginning of the century, but it is growing tired and repetitive to be honest.
    It used to be one of those 'can't miss' kind of programs back in the 00's, but these past years it's more tepid.
    could it be the programme stayed young, and You got old ? ;)
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    That sucks. I only watch the BBC for Top Gear.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 2,189
    I hope the executives at HBO and Netflix are trying to get the three of them on the phone today. That would make the most sense to me. They already have huge budgets working around the world and Top Gear is a huge draw and would fold in perfectly with their business models.
    Apparently James may has changed his twitter bio to " Former bbc presenter ...." ?
    ( so I've been told)
  • All three of them should go to Netflix and start a similar show with a different name .
    House Of Cars anyone?
    I wonder if Clarkson could go around doing guest spots on all the other Top Gear shows, in different countries ?
    DrGorner wrote: »
    Apparently James may has changed his twitter bio to " Former bbc presenter ...." ?
    ( so I've been told)

Clarkson is a moron. And worse than that, a bore. In an era where responsibilities and consequence are non-existent the only shame is that the boorish oaf didnt get the push sooner.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I don't disagree that JC probably brought this on himself. However, I don't watch Top Gear, I watch Clarkson, Hammond and May cocking about - as such Top Gear is no more in my house.
    Yes, it's not a motoring show, it's the three amigos go to, Africa, Vietnam etc.
    all very silly and all great fun, In many ways I think of Clarkson as a cartoon character
    not a real person at all. :D
  • OnlyManWhoCanOnlyManWhoCan Greater London
    So I have read the quote from the BBC Director General here and his first point underlines, under no uncertain terms, that anyone who feels that Clarkson should not have been fired is also supporting assault of co-workers.
    A member of staff – who is a completely innocent party – took himself to Accident and Emergency after a physical altercation accompanied by sustained and prolonged verbal abuse of an extreme nature. For me a line has been crossed. There cannot be one rule for one and one rule for another dictated by either rank, or public relations and commercial considerations

I completely agree with above quote and I think that anyone who signed that petition is wrong in the head.

I find it disturbing that a few people on this thread are blasé about the assualt-of-a-co-worker aspect and would love to see Clarkson on telly again. The producer is an innocent victim and Clarkson acted like a thug. He shouldn't be idolised.

He reminds me of Drax in the novel Moonraker - who thinks he is above everybody else.
    You seem to think the on line petition has some legal standing, and not the
    Bit of fun, most others did. ;)
    @DrGorner I don't like to be 'Mr Prim and Proper' normally but I really don't think sending a man to A&E is a bit of fun. Next time you go to A&E tell me how much fun it is.

Judging from the comments, most of the people who signed the petition felt it was a grave injustice that Clarkson was even suspended while the investigation happened - which is totally wrong.

I don't think the petition is legal - but I think there are a million+ humans out there who think this kind of brutality and behavior is acceptable. I wouldn't want to meet any of them.
    It seems to be very important to you to be right ( as anyone with a different opinion is
    Wrong in the head) so I'll conceded to your point and move on.
    Spinning my wheels for MAX power !!!!!! :D
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited March 2015 Posts: 13,894
    AceHole wrote: »
    My reaction to the whole cancellation was rather.... 'meh'.

Top Gear was fresh and daring when it revealed itself in it's 'new' fomat at the beginning of the century, but it is growing tired and repetitive to be honest.
    It used to be one of those 'can't miss' kind of programs back in the 00's, but these past years it's more tepid.

This is how I feel. But I would prefer Top Gear to be more nuts 'n bolts than light entertainment (as it used to be). I don't know who I would choose for a new lineup. I know who I wouldn't want to see fronting TG, Tim Shaw. Now there's a grade A tw@ if ever there was one. Mike Brewer is alright, that is if he can keep his wideboy act under control.
    @DrGorner, my opinion is that is not cool to send your co-worker to hospital. I take it that you disagree with this?

I'd also like to say that I respect you as a fellow forum user and Bond fan, and I enjoy chatting away about any other topic with you on any other thread (especially as we seem to agree on so much - I see from your other posts you're a fellow Wittertainee! ;) ).

But I also find hard to understand how you are a-ok with the notion of beating up a man over what food you are getting. To the extent that the victim required medical attention.

As written in the investigation's report:
    4 March 2015 Oisin Tymon was subject to an unprovoked physical and verbal attack by Jeremy Clarkson. During the physical attack Oisin Tymon was struck, resulting in swelling and bleeding to his lip. The verbal abuse was sustained over a longer period, both at the time of the physical attack and subsequently

So I'd like to ask your opinion on this fracas. Was Clarkson justified? Should he have kept his job?
    edited March 2015 Posts: 13,384
    OnlyManWhoCan, don't worry I'm not a troll or trying to annoy you but I think we are coming at each other from two opposite positions.
    Firstly yes if it was an attack, then sure he gets sacked.
    Although I'm thinking of one slap or such thrown during an argument . while you seem to be coming from the point that Clarkson beat a guy to the point of almost killing him. There's bound to be a middle area, which might come out as I believe the Yorkshire police have asked for the BBC to give them all the information, so who knows you might get your wish and Jeremy may get a more official slap on the wrist.
    On a personal note, I have no wish to annoy you or make you think I'm starting an argument ( I'm no Clarkson).
    Was I wrong in your opinion to sign the petition, probably but as it was an on line bit of fun, I don't have a problem with it as it never had any power over any decision by the BBC.
    I hope this answers your question and hopefully we can continue as friends in Bond and bore others on here for years to come. Please sit back and have a virtual drink on me. :)

News just in ...
    On Twitter, Oisin has put up that it's all been blown out of proportion and that
    Clarkson, Didn't hit him ? So I don't know what's going on.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    :(|) ...except for chronic American bashing ...and not just crappy cars which we all admit but the actual bashing of my countrymen... Clarkson was otherwise entertaining.

So glad someone of such better breeding acted accordingly. Dumba$$
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    @DrGorner I can't seem to find that Oisin quote on Twitter are you shure it came from the man in question?.
    @DrGorner - I appreciate the gentlemanly response and am happy to keep things civil!

TBH it does sound like you come from a more rough and tumble background than I - I would argue that even a mere slap in an argument is unacceptable but you seem to think otherwise. However, we now all know the incident was more than a slap and I am glad that Clarkson was not treated any differently than anyone else would have been under the same circumstances.

I am sure the BBC would have loved to have kept Clarkson on board as they have pretty much sunk one of their cash cows, but this just proves that whatever happened must have been really, really serious and if they hadn't fired Clarkson the BBC would have been seen to support violence against co-workers.

I do think you were wrong to sign the petition, as while it has no real power (it seems few online petitions ever affect change) it is a vote of support to this sort of behaviour. Over a million people agree that abusing an innocent co-worker is okay, which is creepy.

However, even though I think you're wrong I appreciate you taking the time to explain your point of view, and will gladly raise a glass with you in the spirit of continued forum debate!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I think it has been confirmed that he had bleeding and swelling to the lip. Unless he accidentally fell after being confronted by Clarkson and hit his lip on the floor. ;)

I wonder if they checked Clarkson's knuckles?
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    As far as I could see there was only ever going to be one outcome in this mess and that is what we got from Lord Hall and the BBC today they had no choice JC had to be dumped
    A verry bad day all round for all involved .