Welsh actor Rhys Ifans joing Bond 23 cast according to reports

JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
edited July 2011 in Skyfall Posts: 1,380
According to he usually-reliable columnist 'Mandrake' in today's edition of <a href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/8642313/James-Bond-director-Sam-Mendes-lures-Rhys-Ifans-who-once-kissed-Daniel-Craig.html"; target="_blank">The Telegraph</a>, Welsh actor Rhys Ifans will be joining the cast of the <a href="http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/bond23/index.php3?s=bond23">23rd James Bond film</a>.

“Ifans will appear in the film, as well as Javier Bardem, who will play the baddie,” says the paper's source. “Much of the filming will take place in South Africa.”

Ifans and Daniel Craig, who are both 43, appeared together in the 2004 film "Enduring Love", although the Welsh actor is best known to movie fans for his star-turn in the romantic comedy "Notting Hill".

Comments

Great news, I love Ifans! The first thing that pops into my mind is that he will play Q...
    Ditto PanchitoPistoles. Just received the tweet and that was the first thing that came to mind. Rhys Ifans as Q. But isn't he busy filming The Amazing Spiderman? Even then, as Q would more than likely be a smaller role he would no doubt have time to film it.
  • Wow, Rhys Ifans is an incredible actor and he will be such an asset to the Bond franchise!

@007JamesBond They've already wrapped filming on The Amazing Spider-Man. B-) So unless Ifans has other things going on, he'll be able to put all his attention on Bond! :D
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Funny how many of us are thinking Q as a potential role for Ifans. Can't be a coincidence surely. His acting range and abilities would lend him to play such a role, and he is an actor who has mass appeal. The great thing about Rhys Ifans is that he (like Fiennes) can play either good or bad with ease.
    If all these casting rumours are true, then Bond 23 is going to have one hell of a cast.
    I seen that movie Enduring Love it was half good Half not. I don't of him as Q but it will good. I still want Q to return much you lot do.
    Wow, Rhys Ifans is an incredible actor and he will be such an asset to the Bond franchise!

@007JamesBond They've already wrapped filming on The Amazing Spider-Man. B-) So unless Ifans has other things going on, he'll be able to put all his attention on Bond! :D
    Thanks for the info there. Didn't realise that filming had finished. Cheers.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I can't think of Ifans and not then think of Twin Town or rather his character in it. But for a role in Bond#23, I don't know. :-?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Ah? Ah ? For once a great news concerning B23 ? Ifans is an amazing actor, and he is one of my top pick for Q !! :-bd
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

This man has a face that says "I belong in a Bond film'. I can so see it happen. Whatever his role, from villain to henchman, from ally to ... who knows, Q, I'll be happy to find his name in the credits. More talent, please! There's still a lot of 'making up for past mistakes' to do since the likes of Denise Richards, Halle Berry and Michael Madsen joined my beloved franchise's legacy.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    My only concern is whether such a great cast will all get their moment to shine and if they'll be the richley developed we deserve and need. No more wasted talent please. And Bardem in Bond 23 as thought - great. South Africa and India here we come.

It's interesting to note at the end of the article it mentions Patrick Marber was wanted as Morgan's replacement but it seems they had to settle on Logan.
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 9,738
    perhaps Marber will write bond 24? you never know. Marber and Logan for bond 24 I might like that.

as for Ifans great news this cast is getting better and better!
    Wow that´s quite some cast that seems to be assembled there! I´m not even sure I would want Ralph Fiennes too then, that would seem too many great actors in one Bond film. Unless it´s smaller roles of course, like M, Q, or the PM or something like that.
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    Wonder if Craig and Ifans will be sharing a snog in this film, too? Maybe Ifans is the new Bond girl? Craig can be in his Woman's Day drag, too. Awesome.

Happy couple on their Honeymoon, yesterday.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I think the potter movies have proven it's entirely possible to have quality thesp actors populate a big movie and for it to work. I see no reason why some of the Bond movies can't pull of a similar feat.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited July 2011 Posts: 4,416
    Dutch releasse date confirmd for 1 November 2012. This means that Belgium and Germany get a release on 31 October 2012.

http://www.nu.nl/film/2568017/rhys-ifans-genoemd-nieuwste-bondfilm.html

With a 1 November 2012 release there have 6 weeks before The hobbit part 1 (LOTR 4) who i expect have a second or third week of release date and 6 weeks after Bourne Legacy (Frst or second week of September 2012). QOS whas with a release date of 6 November 2008 the second movie of 2008 in The Netherlands.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Wow, a halloween release for a Bond film here in Belgium! :P Great stuff.
  • Says its confirmed here
    http://www.latinoreview.com/news/rhys-ifans-and-javier-bardem-confirmed-in-new-bond-film-14197

Bond 23 film director Sam Mendes has finally confirmed actors Rhys Ifans and Javier Bardem will have roles.

“Ifans will appear in the film, as well as Javier Bardem, who will play the baddie,” said Mendes to United Kingdom’s The Telegraph. “Much of the filming will take place in South Africa.
    @danslittlefinger, looks like they simply incorrectly stated that Mendes confirmed that to The Telegraph.
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    Yeup. Expect they will correct that lazy bit of blogging shortly.
    I am curious to see who winds up actually being in this film now lol what 4months till the start of filming. Just remember in by December we'll know the title and everything.
    I am curious to see who winds up actually being in this film now lol what 4months till the start of filming. Just remember in by December we'll know the title and everything.
    It really wouldn't surprise me at this point if we had Bardem, Fiennes, Harris and Ifans as there's been so much indication that they'll have each have a role from various sources. All you need is one, or maybe two, Bond girls and that's the cast.

If so, good job on EON's part using the extra time they had to get the casting sorted early - and to be honest, so they should.
    and I wonder who the girls will be this time around. I have my own opinions but i'll leave it be for now.
    edited July 2011 Posts: 13,350
    and I wonder who the girls will be this time around. I have my own opinions but i'll leave it be for now.
    We had the description for Camille released four months before filming began, which is the same time as now.

We may get something soon. The Bond girl race should be about to heat up.
    and i'm assuming title rumors should begin too.
    Wow. This is going to be an absolutely epic cast.

People often criticise EON for Oscar-baiting, but when you really look at it, Bondian lore is very rich and deserves talented people working on the films - not just whoever the producers could get for the lowest price. Granted, Sam Mendes would not be my first chocie as director (I would personally love to see Danny Boyle at the helm), but you've got Mendes directing, Deakins editing, Logan writing (his credentials are in question but if you read this article - http://www.cracked.com/article_16716_7-terrible-early-versions-great-movies.html - you'll see Gladiator really needed some work done before he came along), and then a Craig-Bardem-Ifans-Fiennes?-Harris? line-up in the acting ranks.

This could easily be the best cast and crew ever assembled for a Bond film.
    Agreed now hopefully we get a Fleming title :D.
    Uh, where is it written that a film with a Fleming title will be better than a film without one? After all, GOLDENEYE does not have a Fleming title - but it's better than THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN, which does have a Fleming title.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    He was VERY creepy in 'Enduring Love'. I could most certainly see him playing a henchman, but Q? Bring it on.
    Um, nowhere does it say Ifans will play Q.
    Pretty sure he just mentioned Q as his preferred alternative to henchman, Shadow. Or maybe that's just me.