Everything you like about Die Another Day

DAD gets a lot of flack, but it can't be all bad. I would like to know what people actually like about the film, the parts that you find positive and, even if you absolutely hate the film, make it bearable for you when watching it as part of a Bond marathon? I don't want any negativity, I don't want flaws pointed out - I just was the positives!

Let me start...

The PTS. I like the idea of Bond actually being captured, held and tortured for a period of time. It adds a sense of humanity and believably to Bond. Bond was never meant to be a superhero, he's a spy who is extremely good at his job. Even the best spies can get caught eventually - what elevates him is that, through the burnings, the beatings, the near drownings, the poisonings etc, he never breaks and releases the information. He won't give them the satisfaction.

The little touches. I liked the idea of Bond picking up the Birds of the West Indies field guide (by James Bond) and it giving him the inspiration to pose as an ornithologist. It's where Fleming got the character's name from originally.

The first time viewing of the VR firing range. I know the VR isn't that popular, but on initial viewing it gave viewers a shock. Moneypenny laying dead, MI6 breached, M held at gunpoint - I think this scene worked well.

That's a few examples I could find, now I'd like to hear yours...

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Rosamund Pike, Rosamund Pike, Rosamund Pike..........etc. etc.
    She was brilliant and it was a perfect setup for her career. Outshone Halle in more ways than one.

Also Pierce Brosnan delivered a very good final performance as James Bond. Assured & confident, with a hint of the steely arrogance that we expect of Bond but which he had, up to that film, rarely shown, particularly in his interactions with the fairer sex.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    The sword fight
    Brosnan, the villains, the PTS, and the locations.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    EVERYTHING, except for 10 seconds of stupid CGI.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Ice Inc.

The sword fight.

The car chase.
    This is a pretty short thread for one created in early 2015. It's good to see there's still some sanity in this world.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/2624/dad-is-actually-pretty-good#latest

hate to disappoint you @bondjames
    DAD has many fans, this was just a duplicate thread that's why it went nowhere :D
    Oh well. That was good while it lasted. Glad to see you're keeping the DAD end up @BondJasonBond006.
  • Brosnan's performance is noticeably better here, and while you can complain that it's way too over the top, I like the fact that they just went for it, whilst they were dawdling around in the last two films without actually going anywhere. They dropped the damage control and unashamedly went for an all-out campfest. I enjoyed Moonraker and Diamonds Are Forever, so I actually much prefer Die Another Day to The World Is Not Enough and even prefer it over Tomorrow Never Dies.
    - PTS (if very similar to TND and TWINE - big set piece Bond chasing or being chased in a vehicle of some kind)
    - TS
    - Scenes with Bond in North Korea
    - Sword fight
    - Rosamund Pike
    - Judi Dench
    - Pierce Brosnan
    - Peter Lamont's sets
    - David Arnold's score
    - Buckingham Palace in a Bond film
    - The Clash
    - Aston Martin (when it's not invisible)

After that I'm struggling.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited July 2017 Posts: 4,416
    2 disc Special Edition DVD with Double side cover, slipcover, booklet, extra's also have Dutch subs and very nice to use now, the movie have DTS.

MV5BODNkYmIwYTMtYzdhNy00YWE3LThkYmEtNzA5ZTE5YmVjYzZlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTIzOTk5ODM@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
    Poster in 100x70.

Title song is avaible on the soundtrack.

Sword fight
    Maintitle and title song
    A View To A Kill (showing Icarus)
    Van Bierk aka Hey Brother (Helicopter must turn) as part of the PTS
    Opening of the movie (waves)
    Ice Palace
    Invisible car
    Car Chase
    London Calling/Scene with Roger Moore his daughter
    Vlad, hotel guy and Key guy.
    Big part of the music
    Zoa have Diamonds in his face
    Brosnan as Bond (exept Cuba and some ice pales scenes with Halle Barry)
    Rosamund Pike as MIranda Frost (Exept Airplane)
    Will Yun Lee (Moon) in the PTS
    Judi Dench as M
    John Cleese as R/Quatermaster
    Colin Salmon (Don't blame him) as Charles
    Samantha Bond (Don't blame her) as Moneypenny
  • Thunderball007Thunderball007 United States
    Pierce Brosnan
    PTS
    Colonel Moon
    Gustav Graves
    Zao
    Music