No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I think you can show him in control and confident like the 2nd half of SF but he still needs some depth and cheesy one liners and lack of threat is not somewhere his interpretation thrives.
    Yes, I agree. This was my earlier point that he is best within certain confines and with some depth in the writing.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    If o
    bondjames wrote: »
    I think you can show him in control and confident like the 2nd half of SF but he still needs some depth and cheesy one liners and lack of threat is not somewhere his interpretation thrives.
    Yes, I agree. This was my earlier point that he is best within certain confines and with some depth in the writing.
    If you think giving him Moore one liners and Brosnan swagger is confined than yes he is confined.

If o
    If you think giving him Moore one liners and Brosnan swagger is confined than yes he is confined.
    SP clearly demonstrated his limitations for me in certain areas. I'll leave it at that.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    boldfinger wrote: »
    For Craig to really shine, there will have to be some depth, subtlety and nuance in the script. Some meat for him to sink his considerable acting chops into. Otherwise, I'm afraid he will not impress me, and I'd prefer if the role go to someone else.
    A good actor should be able to make the simplest material shine.

Exactly. QoS.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 5,767
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    I'm all for Craig doing one more, especially because there seems to be no one strong enough to replace him at the moment. Plus, 5 is a good number of films. Connery should have kept to 5 and Sir Rog should have bowed out with FYEO IMO.
    It´s a shame Bond films will always be so much judged according to the lead actor, and not according to how good the films are. I could imagine one or the other actor being Bond, but in their own style. For instance, I found Hiddleston´s way of talking to people in The Night Manager much more interesting than Craig´s as Bond (his way of talking to people in Layer Cake is by far more interesting). Of course, Hiddleston, while having his own strengths, doesn´t have what Craig has. And, Craig being so successful, the producers will aim for someone resembling his charisma. And of course such actors are sparse.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I'm all for Craig doing one more, especially because there seems to be no one strong enough to replace him at the moment. Plus, 5 is a good number of films. Connery should have kept to 5 and Sir Rog should have bowed out with FYEO IMO.
    It´s a shame Bond films will always be so much judged according to the lead actor, and not according to how good the films are. I could imagine one or the other actor being Bond, but in their own style. For instance, I found Hiddleston´s way of talking to people in The Night Manager much more interesting than Craig´s as Bond (his way of talking to people in Layer Cake is by far more interesting). Of course, Hiddleston, while having his own strengths, doesn´t have what Craig has. And, Craig being so successful, the producers will aim for someone resembling his charisma. And of course such actors are sparse.

The Bond actor and their performance is what everything is built around, so of course it'll be judged accordingly. Imagine anyone but Connery in his films, for example. His removal threatens the ability for another actor to sustain DN, which is built on quiet moments of performance, or to sustain the tension in FRWL's train section. GF without Sean would be even more of an issue, as that film is all him.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I agree, and that is why some actors are more loved than others. Ultimately, their performance can more often than not be central to how we perceive a Bond film.

Two films that will probably work for me without the respective Bond actor in it are SF and GE. Much as I love those films, I can see someone else playing Bond in both and still enjoying them. The supporting cast drive both films, for me.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 5,767

The Bond actor and their performance is what everything is built around, so of course it'll be judged accordingly. Imagine anyone but Connery in his films, for example. His removal threatens the ability for another actor to sustain DN, which is built on quiet moments of performance, or to sustain the tension in FRWL's train section. GF without Sean would be even more of an issue, as that film is all him.
    No doubt Connery was great. But they also managed to make great films. Brosnan is by far not that talented, but some (parts) of his films are great nonetheless, and they would be even greater if Brosnan wouldn´t have tried things he´s not good at. If he would have simply gone on doing his Remington Steele thing he could have done simple but fantastic Bond films, instead of the over-ambitious stuff he and everyone else involved didn´t manage. It is clear as day that Brosnan´s films were not built around the Bond actor and his performance.

OHMSS has the worst Bond actor, yet remains for many the Bond film with the deepest and most lasting impression. So, yes, on OHMSS everything might have been built around the Bond actor and his performance.

edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Brosnan is by far not that talented, but some (parts) of his films are great nonetheless, and they would be even greater if Brosnan wouldn´t have tried things he´s not good at. If he would have simply gone on doing his Remington Steele thing he could have done simple but fantastic Bond films, instead of the over-ambitious stuff he and everyone else involved didn´t manage.
    This is the key point. Know your pay grade and stick within it, because the #1 sin for a Bond actor is to give an inauthentic performance.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Let's get back on topic, gentlemen.
    Yes. Um... what were we talking about?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited April 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Bond 25's status kept under wraps? ;)
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Seriously? What a belligerent oaf. Royale '67 and Never Say Never Again are not part of the Bond saga. Thought someone who's suing someone else would do a thorough research, first.
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    Look up the conjuring film series lawsuit.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

Which has nothing at all to do with Bond 25.
    Craig was back,
    and Martin Campbell had agreed to direct
    David Arnold back on soundtrack :x
    http://i.imgur.com/SiN92.gif
    edited April 2017 Posts: 3,126
    Benny wrote: »

Which has nothing at all to do with Bond 25.

@Benny I know I don't know what thread is out there to post it on
    :-??
    In @007Blofeld's defense, it could have been having a little to do with the future of Bond 25, with MGM going into a lawsuit and all... Halting MGM's process with getting the production of the film going and whatever...
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Another day, another rumour ...

'I can't wait to see him as James Bond': Oscar winning writer John Ridley lets slip Idris Elba is set for iconic 007 role
    dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4390998/Oscar-winner-lets-slip-Idris-Elba-set-007-role.html
    That's just crying for attention. Remember, bad publicity and click bait are good for business rates. ;)
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited April 2017 Posts: 7,891
    B.S. !
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender

Red_Snow wrote: »
    Another day, another rumour ...

'I can't wait to see him as James Bond': Oscar winning writer John Ridley lets slip Idris Elba is set for iconic 007 role
    dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4390998/Oscar-winner-lets-slip-Idris-Elba-set-007-role.html

Never have my eyes rolled this hard.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 3,126
    Wow this site is back up I was a bit worried there :-S

[quote

It looks different too!!
    jamesdut wrote: »

[quote

It looks different too!!

Yeah definitely things were changed
    I reckon we'll get Craig back, but they won't Start filming till early next year at the earliest. Next bond prob winter 2018. Just a prediction
    Idris Elba is like Clive Owen, rumoured to be the next in line, but never actually becoming Bond. Obviously next Bond will be Hugh Jackman ;)
    I predict press conference for December or January and filming starting January
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    I predict press conference for December or January and filming starting January

If only.