OHMSS Surround Sound Mix

PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
in Bond Movies Posts: 3,675
Why does the 5.1 Stereo Mix on Blu-Ray have different machine gun sounds when Tracy is killed? It bothers me, but thankfully the original is still in the mono track.

Comments

In addition, the sound gets very strange during Blofeld's first conversation with Bond, when he's revealed. Ernst sounds tinny or stereo from shot to shot.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Hmm, I never noticed that. May have to go back and rewatch it.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    :) Me too, I'll have to check it out again.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    They did add some new sound effects to several Bond movies in the ultimate mix. I've noticed it in TB, YOLT OHMSS and DAF.
    It's on the Blu-ray at least. I'll have to go back and check the DVD. Specifically, when Ernst is garnishing the christmas tree while explaining his plans.

That picture also has the most hilarious intentional sound gag, where when Bunt sits up and catches Bond, there's an awesome hissing cat sound that makes me laugh every time.

Clever lad, that Hunt fellow.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    But wrong pussy;)
    @Murdock Is there a list of added sound effects anywhere on the internet?
    @PropertyOfALady I don't think so. But off hand the changes I do remember are mostly for gunshot sound effects. In the Ultimate Edition of YOLT, they added a little beep sound effect to Connery's little safe cracking device when he pushes buttons on it.
    Gun shots are sore spots it seems.
    It's a bit more complicated than that really.

It depends if you have been watching the "Special Edition" DVD's (released around 2000) or the newer "Ultimate Edition" DVD's (hit stores around 2005/2006). Because the latter ones have re-edited sounds. To such an extent that the great sounds from Norman Wanstall (Oscar winner "Goldfinger" for Best Sound) were actually deleted and replaced (!! :-O X() by new ones.

A good example is the opening of the secret door of the SPECTRE-lair in "Thunderball" which Emilio Largo opens. The original one sounds way more "sixties" than the new sound. Which is quite offensive towards the original sound department if I may say so.

Luckily, the original sounds are back on the new BluRay's, just like the old "Special Edition" DVD's.
    It seems that they must always make movies "better" whilst actually making them worse.
    I need to watch the first 7 bond movies again so I can make a detailed list. I have an ear for new sound additions.
    Well, you needn't do it just for me.
    Oh I don't mind. I haven't watched any Bond movies in a while. I need a Bond binge. :))
    We all need a good one of those at points. Just finished Thunderball actually.