Bond / Harry Palmer crossover

Could the idea that Harry Saltzman had in the 60's for a Bond/Palmer crossover be resurrected?

Who would be good to play Harry Palmer? I even wonder if it could be filmed as a flashback, with cameos from Connery and Caine?

Comments

Nobody cares about Palmer now.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I'd pay anything to see that, along with John Drake joining the team.
    I only want to see that if John Barry does the music.
  • SaintMark wrote: »
    I only want to see that if John Barry does the music.

Alas.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    They should just remake the Palmer films. The time is right.

Just like the Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy remake, I think people will accept a more serious spy if it's done well.

Just make sure it's not too boring.
  • bondjames wrote: »

Just like the Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy remake, I think people will accept a more serious spy if it's done well.

Would you go for remake or reboot?

I think the Ipcress File would make a great candidate for a remake, maybe with mind control tech, North Korea, something like that?
    bondjames wrote: »

Would you go for remake or reboot?

I think the Ipcress File would make a great candidate for a remake, maybe with mind control tech, North Korea, something like that?

I'm not sure what the difference is. I'm suggesting something along the lines of how they did Bond with CR. Sort of a modern re-imagining with a more contemporary story but drawing from the book. I think it could really work, as long as they don't attempt to make it too Hollywood friendly. Tinker Tailor is an example of a good way to do it.
    Why do we want remakes all the time and complain about them with an even more vigorous attitude.

Michael Caine is Harry Palmer and no remake will ever come close.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Why do we want remakes all the time and complain about them with an even more vigorous attitude.

No doubt, but my thinking is as follows:

Michael Caine can't make another Harry Palmer movie anymore and the last good ones he did were in the 60's. It's a great character and it's been a long time since we've seen him on screen, so I don't mind a remake of this one. It's not like Spiderman where we got a remake/reboot within 10 yrs - that I strongly objected to.
  • SaintMark wrote: »

Plenty of films that have been remade without complaint, Scarface?
  • RC7RC7
    A little off topic as it's regarding Deighton, but does anyone remember this being mentioned...

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2009/aug/14/tarantino-deighton-trilogy

I'd personally love to see Quentin tackle Deighton as a period piece. As for Palmer, I love the Caine movies and wouldn't be rushing to see any remakes. It's difficult to remake Caine movies, just look at The Italian Job and Get Carter.

• RC7 wrote: »
    A little off topic as it's regarding Deighton, but does anyone remember this being mentioned...

I'd personally love to see Quentin tackle Deighton as a period piece. As for Palmer, I love the Caine movies and wouldn't be rushing to see any remakes. It's difficult to remake Caine movies, just look at The Italian Job and Get Carter.
    RC7 wrote: »

RC7 wrote: »

That's interesting, I never knew that Tarantino had expressed an interest. My concern Is that it might turn out as a bullet fest.

As for Caine remakes - Italien Job, I didn't think that bad, but for a true car crash, look no further than Alfie.