The "Blofeld Trilogy" and was Diamonds are Forever a dream?

I watched the "Blofeld Trilogy" over the Christmas period and have a few thoughts to share.

Firstly Connery is my favourite Bond but I also consider OHMSS to be one of the best Bond films made and contrary to popular belief, I actually think Lazenby was pretty good. Now, remember this, as I will come back to it later, Blofeld is very clearly paralysed at the end of the film, when Tracey is murdered.

Diamond are Forever however totally baffles me. The reason is that despite Bond hunting down (the perfectly mobile) Blofeld at the start of the film, there is seemingly no other mention whatsoever of the events of OHMSS. For goodness sake! His wife was murdered in the film before and yet Bond has no hostility towards Blofeld at all, indeed, the only dialogue between them seems rather jovial.

The next time we see Blofeld is as the "man in wheelchair" in For Your Eyes only. Now, this definitely remembers the events of OHMSS as we see (Roger Moore's) Bond placing the flowers on Tracey's grave. He then confronts Blofeld, but wait, how did Blofeld end up in the wheelchair?

This leads me to my theory. Diamonds are Forever MUST have been a dream sequence. OHMSS happened, Tracey was killed and Blofeld paralysed, but we then skip to Live and Let Die, Spy Who Loved Me (again a brief reference to the marriage) then Moonraker and on to For Your Eyes Only.

Can anyone offer any other sort of explanation for how Diamonds are Forever can possibly exist?

Comments

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited January 2015 Posts: 4,399
    OHMSS wasn't very well received back in the day.. critics and fans alike scoffed at it.. I'm sure they originally planned for DAF to be a direct continuation had Lazenby stayed on - but since he left (before OHMSS debuted) and since the film was so poorly received, they decided to downplay the events of OHMSS for DAF - especially since Connery was back onboard - they almost wanted to treat OHMSS as if it never happened, that is why there no passing reference at all to OHMSS in DAF... we are only left to assume, that the PTS was Bond's payback for Tracy's death - and then it's never dealt with again... not until later of course, where we got nods to it in TSWLM, FYEO, LTK and TWINE.

that is my best guess anyway...
    how about Blofeld not recognizing Bond in OHMSS after they met each other in YOLT
    continuity was just not important in the blofeld trilogy I guess.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited January 2015 Posts: 12,459
    That was well said, @haserot. and I have nothing to add. No dream, just the reality of show business. You are not going to find good continuity in Bond films. And that actually does not bother me at all.
    the bottom line is they screwed up Blofeld in the movies.If it was the same actor and there was continuity it would have been way better.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    how about Blofeld not recognizing Bond in OHMSS after they met each other in YOLT
    continuity was just not important in the blofeld trilogy I guess.

this has been brought up before, by myself and others... and the best explanation there is, is that they wanted to follow really close to the book - in which this was the first meeting between Bond and Blofeld - so they had no prior history of meeting... the other explanation, is that with the "disguise" and Bond putting on the phony voice, it was enough to throw Blofeld off - as unrealistic as that sounds...... we know they didn't reboot and break continuity because of Bond's mementos from the previous films... it's just something you kind of gotta suspend a little disbelief with.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    All these replies are basically correct @MartinAston. Films that appeared every couple of years are now being assessed in as a collection and we can see the basic problems that they chose to ignore back in the day.

Bond's world makes no sense at all, even when it tries to. It's why I can't be bothered to fret over Craig's alternative universe Bond. They are all the same series, and that's all.
  • I suppose you could always view DAF as taking place in between YOLT and OHMSS. DAF opens up in Japan so one can view that as a direct continuation of YOLT.

But really @haserot provided the best explanation. Suspension of disbelief and subpar attention to continuity are to blame.

@bondjames has stated that he feels that OHMSS was a sort of "soft reboot" of the series. True we have that momento scene but at the same time the film feels like it's a fresh start for the series. It even had the Saltzman/Brocolli credit in the middle of the gunbarrel intro ala Dr. No.
  • I suppose you could always view DAF as taking place in between YOLT and OHMSS. DAF opens up in Japan so one can view that as a direct continuation of YOLT.

I did sort of think about this whilst formulating my theory. But in the end I rejected it due to the very marked '70's styling of Diamonds Are Forever.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 1,778
    I suppose you could always view DAF as taking place in between YOLT and OHMSS. DAF opens up in Japan so one can view that as a direct continuation of YOLT.

I did sort of think about this whilst formulating my theory. But in the end I rejected it due to the very marked '70's styling of Diamonds Are Forever.

I think it'd just believable enough to pass for the late 60s. Kind of like how QOS was just believable enough to pass for late 2006/early 2007.

At the end of the day attempting to track the Bond films on any kind of timeline is truly a fruitless effort. EON payed little to no attention to continuity up until the Craig era and even then there are some big questions as far as that goes. Such as Bond going from a rookie agent in CR and QOS to a grizzled burnt-out veteran in Skyfall. Skyfall makes it seem like Craig's Bond has been 007 for upwards of 10 years instead of just 6.

What I do is silly view them as standalone adventures. Thinking about Bond's past missions isn't necessary in enjoying the vast majority of Bond films.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 238
    I suppose you could always view DAF as taking place in between YOLT and OHMSS. DAF opens up in Japan so one can view that as a direct continuation of YOLT.

I think it'd just believable enough to pass for the late 60s. Kind of like how QOS was just believable enough to pass for late 2006/early 2007.

At the end of the day attempting to track the Bond films on any kind of timeline is truly a fruitless effort. EON payed little to no attention to continuity up until the Craig era and even then there are some big questions as far as that goes. Such as Bond going from a rookie agent in CR and QOS to a grizzled burnt-out veteran in Skyfall. Skyfall makes it seem like Craig's Bond has been 007 for upwards of 10 years instead of just 6.

What I do is silly view them as standalone adventures. Thinking about Bond's past missions isn't necessary in enjoying the vast majority of Bond films.

True, they are (generally) great films in their own right. The reason it must be a dream sequence for me is that they do make a very clear attempt at continuity in For Your Eyes Only (the grave scene and paralysed Blofeld). So it is almost as though the skip continuity in Diamond are Forever only to resurrect it again a few years later.

The other reason for the dream possibility is that at the start of Live and Let Die, Bond is in bed, asleep. So maybe Diamonds are Forever is the dream that he is having at this time?
    The reason it must be a dream sequence for me is that they do make a very clear attempt at continuity in For Your Eyes Only (the grave scene and paralysed Blofeld). So it is almost as though the skip continuity in Diamond are Forever only to resurrect it again a few years later.

The other reason for the dream possibility is that at the start of Live and Let Die, Bond is in bed, asleep. So maybe Diamonds are Forever is the dream that he is having at this time?

i think thats reading a bit too much into it lol..

remember, at the end of DAF, Bond gave Blofeld a pretty good knocking about by bashing his sub into the control room on the oil rig - causing everything to explode.. he could still be wheelchair bound from that.... plus, i wouldn't say Blofeld was paralyzed at the end of OHMSS, surely he had head and neck issues - but he was still fully capable of driving a car.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 613
    it wasn't a dream ok Blofeld is just a shape shifter with the power of healing aka an alien.thats what they were going for.
  • Blofeld is just a shape shifter with the power of healing aka an alien.thats what they were going for.
    Where is your evidence for that?
    DAF was not a dream... unless you can point to factual evidence that proves otherwise.. him simply "waking up" at the beginning of LALD is not even remotely good enough proof.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Blofeld is just a shape shifter with the power of healing aka an alien.thats what they were going for.
    Where is your evidence for that?

Because blofeld was into weird shit
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 238
    HASEROT wrote: »
    DAF was not a dream... unless you can point to factual evidence that proves otherwise.. him simply "waking up" at the beginning of LALD is not even remotely good enough proof.

I am looking at this more as part of the greater tapestry of the "Blofeld Trilogy". The way it works:

Bond encounters Blofeld in YOLT.

Bond (now Lazenby, but still definitely Bond) encounters Blofeld in OHMSS, marries Tracy and then witnesses her murder at the hands of Blofeld.

Bond next appears in DAF, this time as Connery. But this is not real life. It is just a confused dream that Moore's Bond has just before waking in LALD. His dream is set in the 70's, but is still definitely Bond (Connery) but it is not real life.

When Bond wakes up in LALD the continuity from OHMSS restarts, culminating with FYEO when Bond finally gets his revenge on Blofeld.

In fact, I would go as far as to say that the true "Blofeld Trilogy" is in fact YOLT, OHMSS ending in FYEO.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    A lot of us have had dreams where we were sean connery, but it wasn't him in 1971;)
  • A lot of us have had dreams where we were sean connery, but it wasn't him in 1971;)
    It was James Bond dreaming about James Bond, except it was Roger Moore, who knew that really, in the past he was both Connery and Lazenby, but still James Bond.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    A lot of us have had dreams where we were sean connery, but it wasn't him in 1971;)
    It was James Bond dreaming about James Bond, except it was Roger Moore, who knew that really, in the past he was both Connery and Lazenby, but still James Bond.

Exactly. Roger Moore WAS James Bond. Even when he was Connery, Lazenby and Dalton. In the 90s he started having truly awful nightmares.
  • A lot of us have had dreams where we were sean connery, but it wasn't him in 1971;)

Exactly. Roger Moore WAS James Bond. Even when he was Connery, Lazenby and Dalton. In the 90s he started having truly awful nightmares.

All I am saying is that DAF was Moore's Bond dreaming about when he was Connery's Bond. Connery, Lazenby and Dalton were also James Bond as well. To suggest otherwise would be to say that Roger Moore was the only Bond and that all of the films were dreams which would obviously be ridiculous.
    its not a dream sequence.. period.

if YOU want to think it is, then thats your own opinion - but don't start claiming it is one, when it's simply not.
  • HASEROT wrote: »

if YOU want to think it is, then thats your own opinion - but don't start claiming it is one, when it's simply not.

Have you not read any of this? It clearly is a dream sequence.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 1,965
    IMO after reading OHMSS and YOLT they fucked up the Blofeld trilogy big time. They 100% should have made OHMSS first then YOLT (a true adaptation if the novel) and if they wanted to they could have countined the story from YOLT in diamonds are forever and finish the Blofeld trilogy there.
    i read through all of what you posted... and i can't take it seriously because it's just too ridiculous...
    It clearly is a dream sequence.

i asked on another thread for you to prove it that it is so... and all you came up with basket full of your own ideas, assumptions, and opinions... opinions aren't fact my friend... give me something tangible - an interview - a script - anything that says specifically it is what you say it is.... otherwise, its nothing but you saying "it is this, because I say so."

i've been a Bond fan for the better part of my life, and been a member here on this site for a long time - and this by far one of the dumbest theories i've ever heard.

Have you not read any of this? It clearly is a dream sequence.

Every film is. DAF certainly was a dream for Mankiewicz. Was he even out of puberty when he got the job?
  • HASEROT wrote: »

i've been a Bond fan for the better part of my life, and been a member here on this site for a long time

That is very nice and I am pleased for you, but how long you you have been a Bond fan for is totally irellevent. I have probably been a fan for much longer and seen the movies many more times.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    i can't take it seriously because it's just too ridiculous...

Let me 'splain it to youse guys.
    Ya gots YOLT, right? The sequel is actually DAF. In the end Blofeld suffers a massive concussion in his bathosub, and goes a little nuts (and also forgets what exactly Bond looked like). OHMSS comes next.
    Ya read me??
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

i've been a Bond fan for the better part of my life, and been a member here on this site for a long time

That is very nice and I am pleased for you, but how long you you have been a Bond fan for is totally irellevent. I have probably been a fan for much longer and seen the movies many more times.

Oh boy, here we go :(|)
    Besides, everyone knows the only dream sequence in the Bond series is Die Another Day, where the North Korean scorpions' poison causes Bond to have fever dreams about ice palaces, invisible cars and Madonna before he succumbs to the poison and dies. :D
    edited January 2015 Posts: 4,399

uh oh, look out now - i've met the alpha and the omega Bond fan - tryin' to put me in my place... lol... you're just as irrelevant as I am..
    Did he not have that naughty dream about Honor Blackman too? When he dreamt he was Sean Connery.