CharlieHebdo

CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
R.I.P. to the victims of this terrible attack on the freedom of press and speach.

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Thats what happens when you criticise the religion of peace.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    IINO.
    (Islamist in name only)
    Welcome to the New Crusades. Everyone needs a hobby.
    Now we just need a group that kills in the name of Santa Clause. He knows when you've been bad or good, so be good or your life he will take.
    Too many nuts in the trail mix...
    Je suis Charlie. That is all I will say for now.
    speaks volumes when you believe your one true god is too weak to do his own dirty work
    Stephane Charbonnier - Editor in Chief of Charlie Hebdo (deceased):
    "I have no kids, no wife, no car, no credit. This may be a bit pompous what I'm saying, but I prefer to die standing up than live on my knees."
    "Our job is not to defend freedom of speech, but without freedom of speech we are dead... I prefer to die than live like a rat."~
    Remarkable bravery - RIP
  • Mi6LisbonBranchMi6LisbonBranch Lisbon, Portugal
    This are very sad news. The tv footage is just shocking.
    My heart is with the victims and loved ones. RIP
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Crazy attack by crazy people. They're trying to kill an idea.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 2,015
    Several entertainement TV and radio shows are cancelled tonight. Even a few ads display this in the street

B6w522RCcAE_Q6U.jpg

You don't know them abroad, but they were "funny people", and one was even part of French most popular kid shows a few years back. Many 30-50 yo French grew with him. It has a strong impact here, even more than the terrorist act itself.

Cabu, in the center with glasses, one of the 12 victims :
    recrea2-3.jpg

Nice to hear John Kerry's French speech.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Terrible deed. Though committed by a few (undoubtedly fuelled in their rage by many), today is the day I allow myself to be pretty hateful towards a certain group of people.
    patb wrote: »
    Stephane Charbonnier - Editor in Chief of Charlie Hebdo (deceased):
    "I have no kids, no wife, no car, no credit. This may be a bit pompous what I'm saying, but I prefer to die standing up than live on my knees."
    "Our job is not to defend freedom of speech, but without freedom of speech we are dead... I prefer to die than live like a rat."~
    Remarkable bravery - RIP

A most admirable man. Who did not choose martyrdom, but accepted the consequences of his freedom and paid the heavy price. And a great cartoonist too. His work was hilarious. And while we cry now, his drawings will make us laugh again. Because they are funny. Because his enemies are pathetic, sinister jokes.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    Religion is the cancer of this planet.
    All papers and TV stations should reprint or show the cartoons, so they get
    An even bigger audience !
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DrGorner wrote: »
    Agreed!

Tokoloshe wrote: »

Well said Sir.

chrisisall wrote: »
    Agreed!

The next edition of Charlie Hebdo should have cartoons of Mohammed shagging a pig just to stick two fingers up to these medieval retards.
    The pen is truly mightier than the sword: I watched some of their cartoons on the news and I laughed.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC

Nice to hear John Kerry's French speech.
    I heard NPR mention that he gave a speech in French as well as English. I thought that was a good touch.
  • Cabu was also considered a genius of caricature, able to caricature anyone with a few strokes. I'm pretty sure I've seen caricatures done by him of Craig, Brosnan, and possibly Connery or Moore, all for Bond related gags (mostly each time a movie was released, or each time some news were about the real spy world) but Charlie-Hebdo and other magazines he worked for never had a strong Internet presence, so I can't find them online and they probably never were online. And all my Charlie Hebdo archives are far away at the moment.

If the culprits are caught? Show them no mercy and don't let spout out anything about human rights!
    It's like the murderers of Lee Rigby, appealing their sentences WTF ?
    The poor lad's blood dripping off their hands.
    I say all bullets for police ,army etc should be dipped in pork, then they'll
    Never get to their 72 virgins !
    I say all bullets for police ,army etc should be dipped in pork, then they'll
    Never get to their 72 virgins !

Lovely stuff!

RogueAgent wrote: »
    If the culprits are caught? Show them no mercy and don't let spout out anything about human rights!

In the country of human rights, I sure hope they will treat them as humans, however repulsive their act. No need to turn them into martyrs either. I am all for prison for life. And cover the walls of their cells with the cartoons they so hated. This would be the most suitable punishment.

• edited January 2015 Posts: 11,425
    Ludovico wrote: »

In the country of human rights, I sure hope they will treat them as humans, however repulsive their act. No need to turn them into martyrs either. I am all for prison for life. And cover the walls of their cells with the cartoons they so hated. This would be the most suitable punishment.

I think just dropping them in the middle of a regular French prison wing with no special protection would do the trick.

Having trouble understanding how they appear to have driven across Paris and escaped though. Apparently there is much less CCTV in Paris than London so maybe it was hard to track them I guess.
    Getafix wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »

I think just dropping them in the middle of a regular French prison wing with no special protection would do the trick.

Having trouble understanding how they appear to have driven across Paris and escaped though. Apparently there is much less CCTV in Paris than London so maybe it was hard to track them I guess.

It's a question of time before they are caught, I think. And whatever I think of the best punishment, somehow I don't think there will even be a trial. The French police, whatever Hollywood comedies make of it, is not a bunch of choir boys.
    This made me chuckle - statement from the Vatican:

“Whatever its motivation might be, homicidal violence is abominable and is never justified.”

Easy to say sitting in your massive palace built on a mound of riches amassed by slaughter and conning the gullible.

All these years "you" grew up in our peaceful society. All these years "you" got served grand meals on that French table. And then....several years later....you do this. "You" create death and violence on innocent peaceful people. "You" should be damned shouting that you do this in the name of Allah. I'm not believing in a clearly defined God, but I am spiritual. And I think all peaceful Muslims in the world would agree with what I say here:
    May Allah punish you fiercely and fully deny you entrance to the heavens. Because "you" belong in hell and you should burn there.

To all gatekeepers of our western freedoms: Keep defending. Rest in peace devoted employees of Charlie Hebdo :(.

“Whatever its motivation might be, homicidal violence is abominable and is never justified.”

Easy to say sitting in your massive palace built on a mound of riches amassed by slaughter and conning the gullible.

Yeah, but at least Frank isn't sitting there going "Who's up for a tenth crusade?"

• KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    My condelences to the friends and family of those who were senselessly murdered over a cartoon. Please don't let the radical few suppress your freedom of speech.

B6xe4liCAAATFIn.jpg
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Tokoloshe wrote: »

Well said Sir.

chrisisall wrote: »
    Agreed!

The next edition of Charlie Hebdo should have cartoons of Mohammed shagging a pig just to stick two fingers up to these medieval retards.

Or declaring jihad on those supporters who are bastardizing his name.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars

I understand what you are saying. But ... would you rather they say nothing? I would prefer that they join the voices against this.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It appears that the youngest of the three shooters has turned himself in to the police.