What is Bond's salary?

jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
edited January 2015 in Bond Movies Posts: 10,586
For those of you like me who are curious, what do you think Bond's salary is? How much does MI6 pay him for what he does for queen and country?

Thoughts?

Comments

• No matter what he gets it's not enough for all he's done. :-o
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    He gets a pittance of a pension and a hearty "Well done!" from Her Majesty.
  • True but while he's on the job he get supplied luxurious take home Aston Martins and a limitless travel budget with the best food and accommodations around!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    True but while he's on the job he get supplied luxurious take home Aston Martins and a limitless travel budget with the best food and accommodations around!
    Don't forget the tuxedos.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 1,068
    Never thought about this one before - good query! A regular playboy millionaire lifestyle on her Majesty's purse is quite nice just so long as you're not fighting to keep yourself alive too much of the time! What salary does a RN Commander take home? A google shows a salary of £81,741 so Military Intelligence must bump it up somewhere north of this as 'danger money'?
    In the neighborhood of 100,000 ain't chicken feed.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 1,068
    Thinking about it - for the real double 00's it's really not worth all the crazy risks for the salary compared to DC's take home which must surely be a whole lot more than £81k a year? They must do it more for the love of their job and their country with the occasional close protection security duties for the reigning Sovereign as an occasional perk?
    Any serious Bond actor should refuse over 100k (per year)....
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 11,425
    I am pretty sure Moonraker (novel) mentions Bond's salary. Seem to remember it is 2 or 3k British pounds. Not sure what that would be in today's money.

I suspect MI6's salaries are similar to the grades in the Foreign and Commonwealth Office with similar perks and extras. All in all, not particularly generous, but not too bad either compared to the average UK salary.
    To be honest i have always wondered that? It also then makes you wonder how much the real security services earn? How could you put a figure on that?
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Getafix wrote: »
    I am pretty sure Moonraker (novel) mentions Bond's salary. Seem to remember it is 2 or 3k British pounds. Not sure what that would be in today's money.

I suspect MI6's salaries are similar to the grades in the Foreign and Commonwealth Office with similar perks and extras. All in all, not particularly generous, but not too bad either compared to the average UK salary.

I was reading Moonraker recently and did the conversion. It worked to almost exactly $50,000 in 2014 dollars.

It's safe to say he'd get a RN Commander's pay today. I don't know about the British military, but with the US military that base salary gets bumped up with all kinds of bonuses, so it can be considerably higher.

Bond also has his gambling income, which could be substantial.
    With no beneficiaries on his (assumed) death at the start of SF, the proceeds of his parent's estate, his flat and bank accounts etc would all be swallowed up into the state pot. It wouldn't have all been at the best available prices either so being a sulky git probably backfired on Bond even if Emm or Mallory straightened things out again for him...

I wonder if the new prospective owners of SF had finished the surveys and paperwork to get Skyfall insured before it had a helicopter added as a new distinguishing feature?
  • Whatever his exact salary was, Fleming suggests (or states outright, can't remember which) that it isn't very much and that, as Sark mentioned, Bond really earned his play/wiggle-room money through smart and purposeful gambling.
    More than mine.