OHMSS 1968 Aston Martins

PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
in Trivia & Games Posts: 3,675
What exactly is the history of the two 1968 Aston Martins used in On Her Majesty's Secret Service? I'm most interested in learning the proper color name as used by Aston Martin Lagonda, Ltd. I know that DBS/5234/R registration GKX 8G, was used for exterior filming and DBS/5109/R, registration FBH 207G, was used for close-ups/interiors. Both had experimental engines with 282 HP. As GKX 8G was an early model, it appeared in various road tests by car magazines before Bond. Where are they now?

Comments

• Don't forget....the latter DBS/5109/R was also used in "Diamonds Are Forever":
    Aston-Martin-in-Diamonds-are-Forever.jpg
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Some fellow says that he owned one and the correct color is "Olive Bronze". I'm not sure still though.
    http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/12999/on-her-majesties-secret-service-aston-martin/
  • I think it would be wunderful if Bond is going to use the 1969 DBS as his private car in "SPECTRE". Because, let's face it, this car is wun-der-ful:

351583-svetik.jpg?m=1
    1969-aston-martin-dbs-007-james-bond-secret-service-002.jpg
    Anyone?
    I would love to see this car return in SPECTRE. After the DB5 1964, this is my next favourite Bond car. Shame it never got to appear in a spectacular car chase.

What I do find puzzling is why no publicity shots of Lazenby standing next to the car were taken. Connery had a few in GF, Dalton I believe had one or two taken with his car, Even Brozza had one with the DB5 in GE.

Unless I'm mistaken and there was a publicity shot done with Laz and his Aston? Anyone?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Sadly I know nothing about the car but I do think it's one of the most
    Beautiful Aston's ever. Same as the one Roger drove as Lord Brett Sinclair
    In The Persuaders. :)
    Not a publicity photo per se, but the closest I've seen

GLWithAstonMartinDBS_3.jpg

jamesbondastonmartins_onhermajestyssecretservice_sl.jpg

0194_cadre.jpg
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    If you were to google GKX 8G the car has its own website hope this is of some help.
  • I'm actually quite sad Lazenby didn't do a 2nd film :-(.
    DrGorner wrote: »
    Sadly I know nothing about the car but I do think it's one of the most
    Beautiful Aston's ever. Same as the one Roger drove as Lord Brett Sinclair
    In The Persuaders. :)
    Yell I remember that I got the diecast from Corgi with Roger Moore the Figure. He trade his saint mobile Volvo for this till when he went as James Bond. His 007 era we remember Lotus. I got couple of DBS diecast all from Minichamps. We remember revived in 2006 when Daniel Craig movies with V12 now Vanquish back. Like Sean Connery came back in Diamonds are Forever That all I can say
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 3,273

Yes I've seen those pics. Not really what I was after. I still can't believe no official promo shots were done with Laz stood alongside his Aston.

Even Moore had a few with his Lotus.
    edited February 2015 Posts: 3,675
    Was the car actually dubbed by a DB5 ( reg. FMP 7B, the Goldfinger "Road Car") as suggests this post?

http://www.pistonheads.com/Gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=1451846&mid=0&nmt=Anyone+know+the+story+behind+the+James+Bond+DB5's

"FMP7B appears in OHMSS as well....sort of.....when they dubbed the film it's FMP7B engine's noise you hear not the DBS's........"
    great movie, great car.

Love the Aston in TLD as well.

Although the current generation of cars are very nice looking, they lack the masculine and aggressive edge of the 70s and 80s models.
    I agree, the 70s and 80s AM , looked more elegant. :)
    Actually, I though the early 2000s Astons looked amazing - the epitome of elegance. I actually think the late 60s, 70s and 80s ones were less elegant - a bit meaner looking. But they suited Lazenby and Dalton down to the ground. Am I right in thinking Rog never drove an Aston even once?

I just had a look at the current range and they've really gone off the boil actually. Nasty sculpted bodywork. The DB10 looks nice though. Don't understand why they don't want to put it into production. Much better looking car than the others.
    I find the last AMs too much like muscle cars,very aggressive, while the
    Lazenby's dBS had lovely lines, less muscle and more class.
    ( only my opinion, of course) ;)

GLWithAstonMartinDBS_3.jpg

jamesbondastonmartins_onhermajestyssecretservice_sl.jpg

0194_cadre.jpg

Great to see George reunited with his Aston! :-bd
    I have good comment does anyone watch Wheeler Dealers They couple of Lotus many cars to fix,revived & sell in profit. Only 1 Aston Martin that DB7 which could be Bond car in Goldeneye but Bond went to BMW roadster in that movie. Someone give a option if they do DB5 & this DBS with either 6 or V8 one day? redo & revived These 2 Aston Martins, Do you think they get over 500 pound profit? I need 7 answers.
    @Agent7F They actually do have a car using the DBS name right now. But its near impossible to put both the DBS and DB5 as they are here back into production.
    @Agent7F They actually do have a car using the DBS name right now. But its near impossible to put both the DBS and DB5 as they are here back into production.
    I'm talking about Wheeler Dealers. Mike Brewer & his partner ED China I haven't seen the DB7 model which they did once. What I'm getting at is if or when the do a DB5 or the original DBS like this one in post. Will they ever get good profit on any of those 2 Aston Martin classic?
    Yes they will make a profit as they never include the £1000's upon £1000's of value added by Ed's weeks and weeks of workshop hours that bring up the down at heel and value car up to a marketable one.

This is the nonsense of the programme if you look at it as a business proposition but from an enthusiast diy perspective it shows you can make a profit as a sideline to your main job.

As a big car enthusiast myself I enjoy the tips and background features to Ed's work but cannot endure Brewer with the rubbish he speaks - it is repetitive, predictable and very dull.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    They would never get the chance to go near either of the Astons they don't have a big enough budget on the show
    The last DB6 that I had in from a client was one that he bought privately that had been dry stored for over twenty years and whilst it was not a complete basket case when he got it it still took me and my team eighteen months and well in excess of Fourty Thousand Pounds to make it into the car that it should be
    So I'm sorry Mr Mike Brewers would be better sticking to the usual everyday stuff that he and his spanner man normaly play about with.
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 820
    andmcit wrote: »
    Yes they will make a profit as they never include the £1000's upon £1000's of value added by Ed's weeks and weeks of workshop hours that bring up the down at heel and value car up to a marketable one.

This is the nonsense of the programme if you look at it as a business proposition but from an enthusiast diy perspective it shows you can make a profit as a sideline to your main job.

As a big car enthusiast myself I enjoy the tips and background features to Ed's work but cannot endure Brewer with the rubbish he speaks - it is repetitive, predictable and very dull.
    I agree with these 2 comments. I think it never happen. I watch the episode which they did the Aston Martin DB7. They didn't make good profit. It was 532pounds. If they did with the classic DB5,original DBS or any other model like DB4 or 70's,80's or 90's model,they never do better.
    For the love of cars season 2 on it 6th episode. They did the Aston Martin DBS mentioning the remembered On Her Majesty secret Service movie. We have to wait what profit they got out their Aston Martin DBS.
    DBS-related - Roger Moore had one in his role as Lord Brett Sinclair in The Persuaders, yet never drove an Aston as Bond,
  • tigers99 wrote: »
    DBS-related - Roger Moore had one in his role as Lord Brett Sinclair in The Persuaders, yet never drove an Aston as Bond,

A real shame that Sir Roger never drove an Aston Martin as Bond. Was the pick up truck on the way to the mine in AVTAK the last mode of transport that Sir Roger drove as Bond ?, or am I missing something.

Back on topic. The Aston in OHMSS is a really nice car...

Yeah the pickup truck would have been his last.
    Come to think of Late Patrick McNee TV series The Avengers in one of the episode I think a Villain drove an Aston Martin DBS before I think appeared in On Her Majesty Secret Service, in the new Avengers a light yellow coloured DBS appear in Midas Touch in Car chase with late Gareth Hunt & Joanne Lumley in red V12 Jaguar lucky none of the cars were damaged. But Joanne Lumley killed the driver in fight when Gambit say we him alive . Some people think the car chase was not classic I think it is. Long before Bond movies.
    On the New Avengers, they had so much trouble from British Leyland supplying cars.
    sometimes a completely different coloured car would be supplied, they seemed to
    have no idea about continuity. So when it came to making the Professionals, they
    went with Ford.
    The Return of the Saint had similar problems, With Simon supposedly driving the
    same Jaguar XJS in Britain and Europe, even though the European car had a totally
    different interior colour. :D
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    This DBS is by far my favourite Aston Martin in the Bond series. Just a lovely car. The mesh wheels in particular give it a unique look. I wish they had used this model more often, rather than going back to the overexposed GF DB5 over and over again. I'd take this one in a heartbeat over that. I even much prefer Roger's Lotus to the GF DB5.