Never going to complain about Die Another Day again

I am never going to complain about this movie again. I am watching it right now, and through the first half I found myself thinking, its not as bad as everyone says it is. I'm currently at the icarus part, and I've come to the realisation that Die Another Day is a 60s Bond movie set in modern times. The CGI is terrible, I will give you that, but the movie is something Ian Fleming would dream up on his golden eye. If you can't enjoy it, try looking at it as a big homage to the James Bond / Ian Fleming legacy.. It was the 40th anniversary after all.

Currently enjoying this film!

Comments

• SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    is something Ian Fleming would dream up on his golden eye.

spittake.
  • O6GO6G
    Sark wrote: »
    is something Ian Fleming would dream up on his golden eye.

spittake.
    Fair enough. Still a modern 60s Bond film.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    No its a modern bullshit film.
  • O6GO6G
    Righty then. Consider me out...
    Maybe that's what they were trying to do, but they did a horrible job of it. THere's no grade for trying.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    It's certainly more enjoyable than The Man with the Golden Gun which kills my brain cells. ;)
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    call whatever you want.. you can't polish a turd..

there are so many glaring problems with that movie that it's hard to pick and choose which one you look at first... even comparing that trash to something Fleming would come up with is, is like comparing a 2 year old's finger painting to Da Vinci's Mona Lisa... EON could literally feel Fleming rolling in his grave after that mess, which is why they made CR.
  • It's better than the film that preceded it.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2014 Posts: 23,883
    I agree with the title of this thread in the sense that the less said about this movie, the better.

I also agree with you @ThighsofXenia. I actually prefer watching it, despite the fact that it's a low point in the franchise, to its schmaltzy melodramatic predecessor as well.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    i'll take TWINE - even with it's flaws... because they at least tried, but fell short..

DAD - it's like they tried for 15 minutes, then just said F-it for the rest of the film.
  • I liked it, in fact I haven't seen a bond movie I don't like. There's just some better than others. DAD is just not at the top.
    ^^

i can agree with that... if given the choice between watching TMWTGG / DAD or lets say Twilight?? or any other crap like that... Bond wins out 99% of the time..

I can sit through most Bond movies on repeated viewings and enjoy - i am just fully aware that some are not the best quality - doesn't mean i still don't enjoy them..... its funny, but as i get a little bit older each year, i start to subscribe less and less to a rigid listing of Best to Worst Bond films... its getting to the point where "either i like it, or i don't" and thats good enough - not going to bother trying to rank them..
    I agree you with how I will never complain about the movie. I came to this realization some years ago. It's not classic, nor Fleming, not as good as Moonraker or You Only Live Twice. But what it does it tries to do it's best ; being a fun over the top caper, very much like the films I mentioned above. It's the last ott Bond, for now, and gives us something else to watch now that the Craig films have taken another route to portray our favorite spy.
  • As good as any of the other Brosnan-era films.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    It has climbed up my ranking, now at #15. There's good and bad to it, at the end of the day, no Bond film is perfect.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 4,622
    DAD does work as a good anti-North Korea film.
    Timely, considering recent events.
    And that aside, I do really enjoy much of it.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited December 2014 Posts: 12,459
    It has its merits - but only parts of it shine. First half is not bad, but really as soon as Jinx hits the screen it starts to plummet. Brosnan's first two are great Bond films, and he is actually still quite good in DAD. But much is terribly wrong about DAD. So it deserves to be towards the bottom of rankings. But yes, there are some things to enjoy in it. I'll still complain about the film, but I will still talk about the good things in it, also (which are mainly the story and tone of the first part of the film, Brosnan's Bond, Rosamund Pike's performance, the fine sword fight and the Cuba scenes pre-Jinx).
    whatthehell_zpsc516d1b0.jpg

:)
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I still consider it the worst in the series, but I'll usually watch it over TOMORROW NEVER DIES. When DIE ANOTHER DAY turns to crap it does so thoroughly and mercilessly, but the first forty-five minutes (except for Jinx's scene) or so are a great watch. TND averages out to be the better movie, it is a halfway decent Bond film for about an hour, then a bore for the next hour, but doesn't sink anywhere near as low as DAD does.

I think we can pinpoint the exact moment DAD turns to complete crap: when Jinx does that stupid terribly CGI'ed back dive off the top of the hospital.
    Sark wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I still consider it the worst in the series, but I'll usually watch it over TOMORROW NEVER DIES. When DIE ANOTHER DAY turns to crap it does so thoroughly and mercilessly, but the first forty-five minutes (except for Jinx's scene) or so are a great watch. TND averages out to be the better movie, it is a halfway decent Bond film for about an hour, then a bore for the next hour, but doesn't sink anywhere near as low as DAD does.

I think we can pinpoint the exact moment DAD turns to complete crap: when Jinx does that stupid terribly CGI'ed back dive off the top of the hospital.

Totally agree. Everything after that is diabolical.
    Sure like to read O6g's thoughts after the second half of the picture, lol.
    for me... where the movie starts circling the bowl is in Cuba.. but the fencing scene after redeemed a little bit of that nonsense that came before... but once it gets to Iceland - the film goes right down the drain..... and just when you thought it couldn't get any worse... he surfs the big wave..... ugh....
This discussion has been closed.