Do I require permission to create Secret agent cartoon parody advert?

I'm thinking of creating a secret agent parody cartoon advert for a website but as James Bond is a huge franchise, I know people may associate it with James Bond, so is there any necessary permission to avoid a lawsuit or is there any criteria of different the advert would require to be?

Doing a bit of research, I have found out Honda were sued for an advert resembling James Bond but I have also seen many parodies who didn't have any issues, so I'm stuck.

If I do require to get permission, does anyone know any contact details of who I require to contact?

Your help is appreciated.

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Avoid the name James Bond (James Bomb is ok) and any direct references and you should be ok. I think.
  • ONE-TIME use for parody is acceptable. Honda's problem was probably that an ongoing advertising campaign is more than a one-time use.
  • Hi everyone,

Thank you for getting back to me.

The parody will be used on the website and uploaded on youtube/vimeo, so I'm assuming they may not like that because it may be deemed as an ongoing campaign.

The characters won't be referenced but it will be based on a sophisticated secret agent, who does high energy activities.

Do you think it's worth contacting them to see if it's acceptable?
    If so, does anyone know the contact details?

Thank you for the help.
  • You're asking a fan site for advice of a professional nature. We may not be the best source of the specific info you're looking for; in cases like this you get what you pay for and what you're paying is nothing. I'd advise consulting a copyright attorney to be on the safe side.

Nonetheless, if you want to continue on with the info that you get here: I'd guess that as long as you don't get specific about names, (James Bond, M, Q, Dr. No etc.) gadgets (don't have your guy drive an Aston Martin) and generally make it as generic as possible, you're on safe ground and don't really need to contact anybody for permission. Man From U.N.C.L.E., Our Man Flint and the like have made it clear that the spy tropes in general are in the public domain. It's when your guy orders a "vodka martini, shaken not stirred" that you're heading for trouble.
  • Just use other James Bond parodies like Austin Powers and Archer (which if you aren't watching already, you should be) as guidelines for how closely you can mirror the material you're spoofing. Generally speaking, you can get away with more in a parody, but you'll notice none of the names are the same and the characters still have their unique personality traits.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited December 2014 Posts: 17,804
    I think you should probably seek proper legal advice before you embark on this as Eon Productions are fairly litigious in nature, especially those who they might perceive to infringe on their intellectual property rights.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    I'd avoid it if I were you. Do something less controversial like a parody of North Korean leader or Mohammed.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Kerim wrote: »
    I'd avoid it if I were you. Do something less controversial like a parody of North Korean leader or Mohammed.

LOL^

Hi am a copyright lawyer in the UK,

without limitation, any text, graphics, images, artwork, illustrations, photographs, animations, music, video, audio, audiovisual works, designs, logos, software and any other content  (“Material”) are protected by copyrights, patents, trade secrets or other proprietary rights owned by Eon Productions and/or its licensors (“Copyrights”). Some of the characters, logos or other images incorporated by Eon Productions on this Site are also protected as registered or unregistered trade marks, trade names and/or service marks owned by Eon Productions or other third parties (“Trade Marks”). Eon Productions.

EON are very protective they will take action if the above is breached. I would avoid mimics of Bond for commercial reasons just not worth the risk they see something they don't agree with however. Cadbury did this for years with their Milk Tray adverts with no issue so perhaps check you tube for the old adverts and see what they did. Good luck.
  • Hi everyone,

Thank you for the comments, there's some very useful feedback and I will do some research and see if I can change anything.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Hi everyone,

Thank you for the comments, there's some very useful feedback and I will do some research and see if I can change anything.

So will it be Kim or Muhammad(Police be upon him)?
  • Hi everyone,

So will it be Kim or Muhammad(Police be upon him)?

I think I should stick to the secret agent theme haha