The Interview

KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
Sony chickened out by not releasing The Interview on Christmas because of potential terrorist threats.

Yet no raised an eyebrow when Team America: World Police came out several years ago. Basically the same synopsis, but with puppets.

Disappointed that Sony caved in.

Comments

• SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Well the difference is that Team America was really smart and funny and this film was, by most accounts....not.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I'm not sure its not the studio making these terror threats to try and boost the box office of a film they knew was going to tank. All publicity is good publicity.
  • once the US theatre chains decided not to show the film SONY pulled it from release. The cinémas gave in first. This is quite understandable considering the threat. If the chains had continued to show THE INTERVIEW and something terrible did happen they would have been in serious trouble and the lawyers would be out and then they would be slammed in the press for not acting. Also they didn't want to be in a situation where the public may have stayed away from other films if THE INTERVIEW was playing in the screen next door. While they have said its from a safety standpoint its also quite clearly aswell an economic decision.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Yeah anything can happen, remember that batman incident when TDKR was released?
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I'm not sure its not the studio making these terror threats to try and boost the box office of a film they knew was going to tank. All publicity is good publicity.

And the leaking of their email would be a stunt to get people already interested in SPECTRE?
    unlikely, methinks.

I think it's a pity they gave in, it was a comedy after all. And North Korea ready to start terrorist attacks in the US? fat chance, then the Korean War would start all over, but thistime without China chipping in.
    So their bluf worked again.

And the leaking of their email would be a stunt to get people already interested in SPECTRE?
    unlikely, methinks.

Dont think I accused them of doing that. But I only thought it was the premiere that had been pulled but now it seems everyone has shat themseleves and pulled it from cinemas. Do they really think North Korea have got sleeper agents all over small town America ready to detonate themseleves in any cinema showing this?
    I think it's a pity they gave in, it was a comedy after all. And North Korea ready to start terrorist attacks in the US? fat chance, then the Korean War would start all over, but thistime without China chipping in.

Arent North Korea skint and on their knees anyway? Apart from the US not bowing down to them I would think Sony as a corporation would be worth more than the whole North Korean economy. Why arent the yanks and Sony crippling their feeble internet infrastructure with cyber attacks?

Now this podgy little twat with his pudding bowl haircut and his two warheads with a range of 50km will think hes a world player.
    once the US theatre chains decided not to show the film SONY pulled it from release.

Exactly. Don't blame Sony, blame the cinema chains!
  • http://nos.nl/artikel/2009591-acteurs-boos-over-terugtrekken-the-interview.html

Check the tweets from the actors in this article. Before Sony "chickened out" many people, in here, actually accused Sony of all this, and especially the "rich" and "bad" Amy Pascal. Many of us in here thought "it was Sony's own mistake not taking cyber warfare seriously", when actually there WAS already a private FBI-investigation going on early this year upon request of Sony (You think Sony makes these leaks public during such top secret investigation. Now Sony is acting, CONTINUES acting, and then we STILL condemn everything Sony is doing.

Not for once I have read something like "Hunt down those damn cyber criminals" or "The US government, with help of the CIA, needs to invest more in counter-hacking measures, so companies like Sony don't become victim anymore" or "Who is the victim here? Sony or Guardians of Peace? Sony off course!" or "Time to assassinate Kim Yun-Un, AND to warn Americans who start friendships with this teenage psychopath".

And do not make mistakes here. Be careful what you wish for regarding Sony. Because next time these hackers strike again, and "SPECTRE" might be victimized in a similar way as with "The Interview".

Moreover, I fully agree with actors Seth Rogen, Ben Stiller and Rob Lowe. But I do like to point out that way earlier we could have asked ourselves these issues regarding freedom of expression, ethics and democracy. Because indeed now, Sony is doing a "Neville Chamberlain" here.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

unlikely, methinks.

Dont think I accused them of doing that. But I only thought it was the premiere that had been pulled but now it seems everyone has shat themseleves and pulled it from cinemas. Do they really think North Korea have got sleeper agents all over small town America ready to detonate themseleves in any cinema showing this?

Arent North Korea skint and on their knees anyway? Apart from the US not bowing down to them I would think Sony as a corporation would be worth more than the whole North Korean economy. Why arent the yanks and Sony crippling their feeble internet infrastructure with cyber attacks?

Now this podgy little twat with his pudding bowl haircut and his two warheads with a range of 50km will think hes a world player.
    It would be very nice if they were. as it stands they've got one of the biggest standing armies in the world. So they do pose a threat indeed, and a lot will be destroyed if war breaks out, or actually resumes, as it's only a cease fire now.

I'm not quite sure they aren't attacking the N. Koreans on a daily basis. All I know is that they'll do little to let the world know if they do.

Still, I think Sony should push through I think. But I heard their CEO singing 'I'm so ronery' so perhaps they won't.

We have to remember as well that Team America had Kim Jung Il as target, and his son, the current leader, is far more of a hothead.
    Those were very serious threats. I.understand the fear, yet that's this overgrown Asian Caligula deserves: ridicule. I badly want to see the movie now.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    doubleoego wrote: »

That was just the action's one nutjob and TDKR kept playing.

@nobodydoesitbetter does bring up a valid point about the theatres deciding not to show the film. That's what caused Sony to pull the film altogether and I hereby retract that part of the statement.

Still kind of discouraging the movie theatres went this route and thus unwittingly giving this megalomaniac a moral victory. Should have been left up to the populace as whether this movie was worth the money or not.

• So has the release been delayed? Shame, I was looking forward to it. Love these films (Superbad, Pineapple Express, etc) and I was looking forward to this.

Actually I still haven't seen This Is The End. I have the DVD but I never got round to watching it. Might watch it later if my wife agrees.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Kerim wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »

That was just the action's one nutjob and TDKR kept playing.

The point I'm making is, people can be unpredictable and do anything. It doesn't matter if it was one person or 10 people, the fact is, there are individuals out there who can find any excuse or don't even need a reason to take up some anarchist cause and that's what's scary. Sometimes the implications of what could happen based on experience just isn't worth it and it's crying shame because where will it end. This whole business ironically reeks of similarities to what SF was echoing in terms if it's message and themes but fortunately like you said, batman still kept playing but batman and the characters of his mythology aren't real so there's no one to legitimately offend. Sadly copycat acts of terror in varying degrees aren't uncommon. There was the tragic Columbine massacre and others that have been "inspired" by movies. It's beyond sad.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    The U. S. government should buy the theatrical rights & post it on the internet for free. Eff that Kim Dang Dung.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 2,015
    Do they really think North Korea have got sleeper agents all over small town America ready to detonate themseleves in any cinema showing this?

I think it's more a matter of fearing to have blank screens in all the cinemas...
    Not for once I have read something like "Hunt down those damn cyber criminals" or "The US government, with help of the CIA, needs to invest more in counter-hacking measures, so companies like Sony don't become victim anymore" or "Who is the victim here? Sony or Guardians of Peace? Sony off course!".

Well I have written from the start about the real victims here (the Sony and former Sony employees). Even you, you seem to discuss only about a few millionnaires who will never have to worry about finding a job.

The former had their private data made public, but for some reason it seems the latter used the network only for professionnal matters. Is it because they were aware it was not that reliable ? They fired the IT team, and kept secret the early attacks, even to their own employees, and you think they have zero responsibility ?

In your black-and-white world, consider this : it is because I have some connection with Sony employees, that I had the scripts a bit before everyone else here it seems. Yes, believe it or not, the leak of the boss' mailbox was the "fun" part of the story for those who are really concerned by what happened. The cyber attack didn't even start with the leak of the boss' mailbox, one has to remember that. And well, the release of every employees' mailbox is next in line it seems...

• edited December 2014 Posts: 12,837
    So am I the only one on here who cared about the film before the Sony hack? :P

I thought it looked funny and I like these films (the Seth Rogen/Evan Goldberg written films) and I was looking forward to this. Franco and Rogen make a great double act (see Pineapple Express) and I thought the trailers looked funny and the premise sounded great.

It's a real shame that Sony have pussied out. Hope it's released sooner rather than later.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I still don't care about the film, but I'm sorry to see it robbed of it's theatrical venue simply because of hackers. After all, if f*cking Sharknado 2 can get a limited theatrical showing, anything deserves at the very least a limited theatrical showing.
    So am I the only one on here who cared about the film before the Sony hack? :P

I thought it looked funny and I like these films (the Seth Rogen/Evan Goldberg written films) and I was looking forward to this. Franco and Rogen make a great double act (see Pineapple Express) and I thought the trailers looked funny and the premise sounded great.

It's a real shame that Sony have pussied out. Hope it's released sooner rather than later.

I wanted to see it just because it poked fun and ridiculed a tyrant (as I said, an overgrown, overfed, overweight Asian Caligula).
    A precedent has certainly been set with this decision? I wonder what will be next?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    A precedent has certainly been set with this decision? I wonder what will be next?
    Kim Dum Un will start to make SPECTRE like demands all over the place now. [-(
    Personally, from what I read, its not a film, people NEED to seet, but, of course, the wider picture might be different. Give in or not? But lets imagine, IF something happened during a show. People would be outraged and would accuse the studio, to have reacted wrong just to make money. Right now, they can't win IMO.

A man was once forced to go into hiding for writing a book. I find it very worrying that now a few hackers can decide what we'll see or not. Let's not forget at least one Bond movie had North Koreans as baddies.
    So if we're going to bow down to this clown what about someone who constitutes an actual threat like Putin who will now think he can dictate to us and we will cower?

What happened to not giving in to terrorism? Now we give in merely to the threat of terrorism.

Kim Jong Un like all dictators needs to be derided and we shouldn't be compromising our free speech principals out of fear. Especially fear of someone so politically weak he has to imprison half his population otherwise they would leave or overthrow him.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Would the US have liked it if it was Obama that was lampooned by another country? Look at The Naked Gun (1988) film that had that HRH Queen Elizabeth look-a-like in, we didn't throw a tantum. The Interview hasn't done too badly. More people will likely see the film on DVD, than on the big screen if it hadn't been pulled.

I had no interest in seeing this film, and still don't. Just my 2p. It looks like a disposable comedy that would have been forgotten about after the release. I suspect that wont be the case now. So Sony wont do too bad off the film. The leaks, that's a different matter.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 6,601
    True points, but how would you feel if you were among the victims of an explosion or whatever while seeing the damn film? In a way, it was absolutely stupid, to make this film in the first place. It was like slapping the dictators face and the out of his mind, he is, he felt, he had to react or his people did. Why is it necessary to bring out this situation for a FILM? These idiots just wait for a reason to implant fear and terror. They gave it to them. In their minnd, they have every right. This world is in a bad enough place as it is without creating new threats so randomly.

Oh, its always soo nice to talk about rights and free speech and whatnot. But maybe some people need to do some thinking as well. This son of a bitch prtobably feels, we have no right to ridicule him.
    Germanlady wrote: »
    True points, but how would you feel if you were among the victims of an explosion or whatever while seeing the damn film? In a way, it was absolutely stupid, to make this film in the first place. It was like slapping the dictators face and the out of his mind, he is, he felt, he had to react or his people did. Why is it necessary to bring out this situation for a FILM? These idiots just wait for a reason to implant fear and terror. They gave it to them. In their minnd, they have every right. This world is in a bad enough place as it is without creating new threats so randomly.

Oh, its always soo nice to talk about rights and free speech and whatnot. But maybe some people need to do some thinking as well. This son of a bitch prtobably feels, we have no right to ridicule him.

So lets just ban all films, books and TV shows then shall we Germanlady? In this world we currently live in where the only inalienable human right is to be offended there will always be someone who takes umbrage at something so all they need to do now is ring up and say they'll bomb a cinema/theatre/bookshop and they get what they want.

Is this how democracy dies? Not with a whimper but cowering behind the sofa.
    You overreact. There should be a difference between important issues and a film and no, I don't believe, its all the same. There is a principle behind all this, sure, think again, what these people WANT is all sorts of war. In NOT giving in, you give them just what they want. You give then the reason to go o and on and not stop.
    When the Islamic world got hysteria because of the caricature of Mohammed, some free thinkers started draw Mohammed Day in response to the threats and fanaticism. Make the offence and the ridicule common, multiply it, dilute the danger... And make a stand for freedom of thoughts and expression. I suggest we do something similar. Make fun of mini Caligula. Ridicule him as this movie does. With caricatures, jokes, films, what have you.
    Freedom of thoughts gives everybody the right to be unsensitive to the beliefs (how ridiculous they might be for us) of others? I don't think so. Freedom of whatever ALWAYS contains a huge dose of responsibility. You can't just gawk out whateverysou want and deal with the response in saying "Oh, we have freedom of whaever" That this is not working is what we see all around. Freedom is fine, but most people don't know how to handle it. Its a precious and fragile gift to have.