MI6 policy on SPECTRE/SONY leaks (updated 1/1/15)

DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
edited January 2015 in MI6 Headlines & Feedback Posts: 23,527
All members are discouraged to post leaks anywhere on the forum. However, some mild bits and pieces can be tolerated but only in this thread. They shall be removed anywhere else and members are asked to instantly flag a heavy spoiler or leaked bit not posted here. Yet even in this thread we cannot tolerate everything. Our forum has chosen to remain absolutely free of script screenshots, direct quotes from the illegally retained materials, and the like.

If you are unsure as to whether or not you can post something, please post only a link to another website and with clear spoiler warnings in this thread, or better still, PM a mod.

Since some leaked content can seriously spoil the fun of being a Bond fan for our members and in fact damage this website that we can all enjoy for free, violation of these rules may result in warnings and eventually in a permanent ban.

ADDENDUM 1/1/15: In addition to the spoiling of other people's enjoyment of this forum and the film, those actively engaging in file sharing of illegally obtained documents should be warned. MI6 is not a file sharing website. Using any service on our domain name to solicit or share the script drafts, outlines or any other material pertaining to SPECTRE or the Sony leaks will be treated seriously. Bans will be issued at the moderator's discretion without warning.

Thank you for your cooperation.
The MI6 Community mod team

Comments

Thank you! I feel like Harry Potter facing off with the deadly Basilisk in "The Chamber of Secrets" when moving around this thread: Always alert and with great care, my eyes constantly half closed. :) I simply don't want to know more about SP than what was revealed in the title announcement!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Potter was bitten by the basilisk.....

but then the phoenix came to save the day.

Looks like all will end well then.
    Thank you for putting your statement out there DD!!! I for one love coming on this forum and do not want the movie ruined. Not got a problem if other people wish to know everything and its all in this thread.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Potter was bitten by the basilisk.....

but then the phoenix came to save the day.

Looks like all will end well then.

I think DD is the phoenix sent by Dumbledore! ;)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    If I'm supposed to be a Phoenix, I prefer the X-Men version. ;-)

DarkPhoenix.jpg
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited December 2014 Posts: 17,786
    Yes, it's a pity that this leak happened but at least measures are in place to limit any damage to this site or spoil the film for members (such as myself) who want to enjoy the new Bond film spoiler-free.
  • Dragonpol wrote: »
    Yes, it's a pity that this leak happened but at least measures are in place to limit any damage to this site or spoil the film for members (such as myself) who want to enjoy the new Bond film spoiler-free.

Although I hate the fact the fact that the script was "leaked", I think I'm gonna enjoy seeing the finished movie and seeing what stayed the same and what changed from the original draft. I enjoy seeing the process of a film that's why I don't mind that I've read the spoilers.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    AdaShelby wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Although I hate the fact the fact that the script was "leaked", I think I'm gonna enjoy seeing the finished movie and seeing what stayed the same and what changed from the original draft. I enjoy seeing the process of a film that's why I don't mind that I've read the spoilers.

Yes, that can be informative but in the age of government leaks being so very common on an almost daily base what chance does a Bond film (or any film for that matter) really have?
  • Thank you so much for announcing this. Jobo's hilarious Basilisk analogy perfectly describes how I've been perusing threads: out the corners of my eyes. I feel much freer to roam now.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 2,015
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Yes, that can be informative but in the age of government leaks being so very common on an almost daily base what chance does a Bond film (or any film for that matter) really have?

The script was on printed paper, with ID of the owners printed on it to, well, identify who would be responsible for any leak. At least two persons scanned it for convenience, to send them over the Internet, and only then it started life on an electronic format that could leak. The very last leaked script is a scan from the copy that was sent to Glickman, the MGM boss. He's 45 yo, so he's fully aware of what the Internet is, he's not a 80yo who "doesn't understand the Internet"...

It's very telling that the leak does not come from some VFX guy paid $1600 a month (VFX guys see the script and storyboard very early sometimes), but from a guy who is paid an insane amount of money...
  • I hate leaks as for as Bond films are concerned, and will not read them at all
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Thank you, @DarthDimi! It has been a nightmare trying to avoid these awful leaks. This should surely help. I will stay vigilant, dear Mad-Eye Moody - I mean, our Captain DarthDimi. I want to be able to enjoy this forum for all the upcoming months to the film.

Flag away when necessary, people! :-bd
    jobo wrote: »
    Thank you! I feel like Harry Potter facing off with the deadly Basilisk in "The Chamber of Secrets" when moving around this thread: Always alert and with great care, my eyes constantly half closed. :) I simply don't want to know more about SP than what was revealed in the title announcement!

Exactly so, dear @jobo!
    So far so good it seems.
    Thanks to all!
    it seems some new members need to read this asap; thanks
  • MI6MI6 Administrator
    I'm drawing a line under the soliciting of illegally obtained documents.

MI6 is not a filesharing website. Using any service on our domain name to solicit or share the script drafts, outlines or any other material pertaining to SPECTRE or the Sony leaks will be treated seriously. Henceforth bans will be issued at the moderator's discretion without warning.
    Thank you for being clear about this.
    MI6 wrote: »
    I'm drawing a line under the soliciting of illegally obtained documents.

MI6 is not a filesharing website. Using any service on our domain name to solicit or share the script drafts, outlines or any other material pertaining to SPECTRE or the Sony leaks will be treated seriously. Henceforth bans will be issued at the moderator's discretion without warning.

Fully agree and support this! =D>
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DarthDimi wrote:

ADDENDUM 1/1/15: In addition to the spoiling of other people's enjoyment of this forum and the film, those actively engaging in file sharing of illegally obtained documents should be warned. MI6 is not a file sharing website. Using any service on our domain name to solicit or share the script drafts, outlines or any other material pertaining to SPECTRE or the Sony leaks will be treated seriously. Bans will be issued at the moderator's discretion without warning.
    Ye be warned!
    Good call, Mods! =D>
  • @MI6
    @JamesPage
    @Benny
    @DarthDimi
    @DiscoVolante
    @MajorDSmythe
    @nick_007
    @NicNac
    @St_George
    @Creasy47
    @Samuel001

I understand people want to talk about the leaks but the fact is people clearly find it very difficult to go to those threads and keep the information to themselves. Too often we are finding ourselves in situations where people in the loop are nonchalantly revealing information.

I propose Mi6 lock the SonyLeaks thread and ban any discussion of the topics found in the Sony hack. Anyone actively speaking of the leaks and defying the ban should be disciplined and if necessary removed from the forum. More worryingly people are soliciting the material over the Mi6 private messaging service.

Sadly I feel like we have reached this point. Numerous members are disgruntled and upset with the way Mi6 have handled things here, myself included.

I shouldn't feel like I need to leave these forums because people are actively trying to spoil the film for me. It should be those who are sharing and talking about the hacked information who should be forced to leave. In my opinion, Mi6's current conduct is facilitating and encouraging criminal activity.

Mi6 is a James Bond forum not BitTorrent.
    I am in complete sympathy with you on this, @Pierce2Daniel.
    However, my concern about locking the one allowed thread entirely is that I do not think it would stop others from posting. Human nature, new members, etc. and it is quite probable that people will post things they shouldn't, spoilers taken from leaked Sony info, etc and if there is not one thread where they can be redirected then they will definitely post that on whatever thread they choose at that moment.

I think having the one thread continues to serve a purpose of containment. Links are not allowed there either. But discussion of the leaked info is. If locking that one thread and threatening to ban if anything illegally leaked is posted, I still think (just my guess, my opinion) it would not resolve the issue. I believe a few people would still post, and then do so on any available thread or make their own with a spoiler in the title (especially a new member who is excited and has not read our forum's policy).

PMs soliciting leaked info should not be allowed either. This is illegally obtained information, after all. But I, for now, tentatively support keeping just the one thread open, and the mods banning as stated in the new updated policy.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Agreed. My view is below, just posted on another thread:

Deal with the situation at hand and only the situation at hand.

It is quite simple. Stop people sharing the scripts. The recent updated policy has clearly given warning. I agree with this.

Discipline and warn people who leak the information onto other threads (1st time with a private warning, the 2nd time with a public warning and beration, and 3rd time with a ban).

However, do not stop people discussing it on the designated threads & do not lock the the leaks thread. This is not Nazi Germany or Russia or China. Free speech should be allowed, but not file dissemination or spoiling other's enjoyment elsewhere. Any other approach will just cause spillover into the other threads anyway and will be pointless. Prohibition did not work and neither would any draconian approach to curtail free speech.

Just my two cents.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    bondjames wrote: »
    Prohibition did not work and neither would any draconian approach to curtail free speech.

Just my two cents.
    Two cents? Free speech costs more than that.
    Send me $1000 US and I will guarantee free speech on this site, and all others. Conditions and rules apply. Exceptions in various countries. Possible toxic repercussions not covered. Agree at your own risk. May be processed at a facility that processes nuts and nuclear waste. Additional fees may be applicable.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 3,167
    Too often we are finding ourselves in situations where people in the loop are nonchalantly revealing information.
    Too often? Really? Where? There is one example in the production thread and it has been dealt with.
    I propose Mi6 lock the SonyLeaks thread and ban any discussion of the topics found in the Sony hack. Anyone actively speaking of the leaks and defying the ban should be disciplined and if necessary removed from the forum.
    I propose that you relax.
    Sadly I feel like we have reached this point. Numerous members are disgruntled and upset with the way Mi6 have handled things here, myself included.
    "Numerous members"? Who? Are you speaking for those? Why just not flag the posts? You want members "removed"?
    I shouldn't feel like I need to leave these forums because people are actively trying to spoil the film for me.
    Well, just stay away from the leak discussion thread, avoid spoilers and flag those posts that reveal things obtained from the leak, and you should be fine.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Discipline and warn people who leak the information onto other threads (1st time with a private warning, the 2nd time with a public warning and beration, and 3rd time with a ban). However, do not stop people discussing it on the designated threads & do not lock the the leaks thread. This is not Nazi Germany or Russia or China.
    This!
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 4,619
    Well said, @Zekidk ! @Pierce2Daniel needs to calm down. Locking the Sony Leaks thread would not prevent spoilers from sometimes being posted by a few ignorant newbies in the other Spectre threads.
  • DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast
    Rather than lock the lone thread for discussion of information freely availability on news sites such as The Daily Mail, I actually think there should be MORE threads allowed to discuss thoughts and opinions arising out of them.

As there is only one thread, it is easily derailed or, as recently, go off track with a heated 'debate' between two or three individuals about who was to blame for earlier script problems. As a result, it has become difficult to discuss specific points, e.g. future of Bond/Spectre or location photos.

I think this has led to people who have read the leaks taking part in other threads, which has had the inevitable result that sometimes someone will add their two-shillings worth based on their knowledge of the situation (BTW, the facts these posts are usually jumped on as being based on the links makes me think more people have read the leaks or the thread on them than they're letting on).

I'm totally on-board with stopping people posting links or file sharing and understand the tricky situation for people who want to know nothing about the film until opening night. I don't think trying to stop discussion of information is the way to go. Whatever your opinion on the links, they will forever be a part of the story of how Spectre made it to the screen.
    No only one thread. That is important. It should not be discussed anywhere else.
    edited January 2015 Posts: 23,527
    We will do everything within our abilities to prevent leaks from littering our forum. However, newbie or not, anyone insisting on sharing material that's obviously not supposed to be known, gets no second chances.

Here's a simple guideline:

A) check the homepage, see what's already out in the open

B) you found out something that's not on the homepage? contact an admin - if the content is safe, our homepage will print it and we can all talk about it; if the content is contaminated, the admins will say so and no harm done

C) you still drop the ball even if you were politely asked not to? bye bye it is!
  • My big concern really is is over what has leaked.

There is so much ambiguity for us who have avoided the leaks so when a morsel does seep out it's very difficult to really know whether something is real or not.

For us uninitiated could someone just make a quick bullet point list of what is out there.

It's the reason I created this thread really:
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/10527/spectre-sony-leaks-straw-poll-no-spoilers

So people would know those who had read the leaks and if so what they had actually read. But as is always the case with lock-happy moderators at Mi6 it was closed down.