Dench keeps tight lipped about Bond 23 details, script delivered

JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
edited July 2011 in Skyfall Posts: 1,380
Dame Judi Dench opened the Czech film festival at Karlovy Vary, <a href="http://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=9555&t=mi6&s=news">where she was also awarded the Crystal Globe</a> for outstanding artistic contribution to world cinema.

But anyone hoping for some dirt on where James Bond will be heading in the 23rd adevntures was out of luck, reports <a href="http://www.screendaily.com/home/blogs/dench-and-fukunaga-kick-off-karlovy-vary-in-style/5029441.article"; target="_blank">Screen Daily</a>. “I can’t tell you any single thing about it,” she said.

“I’m not allowed. You take a little vow. When the script was delivered to me, it was delivered by a man completely dressed in black. He just gave me the script and left. It’s very secretive.”

Comments

• edited July 2011 Posts: 1,856
    Tried Dench Try Craig

(what do ya think would happen if she told the press?)
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    I reckon Bond 23 will see the demise of judi dench as M. Let's assume Property of a Lady be the title and the fact that the original screenplay was cited as being the "most shocking story yet" who best to go after those responsible than her prized possession?? I know we have seen vengence many times before but against a decent back story and subsequent fall out this could be really exciting as bond goes head to head with the assassin. Thoughts?
  • I am guessing the script is done now.......
    I am guessing the script is done now.......
    At least the current draft ;-) .

• edited July 2011 Posts: 2,782
    I can tell you the script's shocking element is that M is kidnapped by Quantum and forced to have a sex change; M wakes up in a white cell as a woman!!!!!!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Well, we now have confirmation of some sort of finished script.

Maybe Craig will say something later this month during his Cowboys & Aliens interviews...
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    I hope they use part of the novel TMWTGG and Bond attempts to assassinate M.
    Maybe Craig will say something later this month during his Cowboys & Aliens interviews...
    I hope so. I am also hoping Mendes will say something in the coming month. Ever since he was first rumored back in January 2010 we never heard him saying anything about Bond 23.

• I realize it's just conjecture, but you might have something there Aubergine. Dench's M had been acting very nervous at the prospect of taking on a secret organization and a man with the under the table power of this Guy Haines involved in it. If it were me in on writing the script, I think I'd stay away from the vengeance thing until much later in the movie. That is even if you want to go that route. We just had a good dose of that in QOS, so I am hoping we'll get back to a more traditional and much relaxed Bond for the better part of the movie. A Bond who is back to his usual womanizing and enjoying his job a little bit more.

Now if they DO go that way and save the latter half of the film for some more serious moments, what would be more interesting to me is a storyline for M that has her removed from power at Haines' instigation, and is warned if she or MI6 interfere in his business the consequences could be dire. Of course she is then in an even more dangerous position without any allies but Bond, and is killed when she continues to give him counsel and access to resources he could not get on his own. This storyline could then be continued in the next film. This would also be a good way to introduce her successor, and while I don't seem to have the problem others do with a female M, I would like to see the role returned to that of a male. Here's what could make it all even more interesting- does Haines have a "puppet M" installed to protect Quantum who facilitates M's death on their behalf? He then is arrested or eliminated by the end of the film and a new M is introduced in BOND 24. Or do we get the successor now, a man who tries to prevent her death, and then sees the handwriting on the wall and takes the patriotic road, playing and then outwitting Haines as a way to get rid of him and any other sympathetic elements who have infiltrated MI6, thereby earning the right to continue in the position?

Any thoughts? Is my reasoning way out there or does it make sense to others as a fresher idea should Aubergine be right? The one thing for sure is that no one but those involved know which way this movie is going, and that we should all try to remain positive instead of taking a negative view based on past films.

• edited July 2011 Posts: 9,770
    One thing i want to point out Dench has the script when do we get the title?

and as far as using TMWGG opener as a story element that is fine but brainwashing would be ridiculous I still say having Bond Framed and drugged so even he isn't sure if he killed M (similar to Doubleshot) then has to prove his innocence though out the remainder of the film could be extremely interesting. and a very suspenseful story if done right. I'm sure some on here would hate it but I would love it.

Perhaps It is orchestrated by guy Haines and a fellow Quantum operative (Ralph Fiennes) Bond then gets a clue as to who could of committed the crime and goes after the real assassin (Javier Bardem) I could see it working.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    @sirhenry

exellecent idea
  • Thank you Royale65. I'm thinking MI6 has been infiltrated by QUANTUM, so who's to say since QOS that MI6 hasn't returned the favor? Dench's M knows she is too visible and vulnerable to rid MI6 of Haines and his operatives, so she sets them up through a double agent of her own who would also has the credentials to be her successor.
    No, revenge plots. Just have her retire, or in fact go as far as to have her retired early in the movie, and then, BANG, it's the new M behind the desk. Both in the same movie.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2011 Posts: 15,690
    I realize it's just conjecture, but you might have something there Aubergine. Dench's M had been acting very nervous at the prospect of taking on a secret organization and a man with the under the table power of this Guy Haines involved in it. If it were me in on writing the script, I think I'd stay away from the vengeance thing until much later in the movie. That is even if you want to go that route. We just had a good dose of that in QOS, so I am hoping we'll get back to a more traditional and much relaxed Bond for the better part of the movie. A Bond who is back to his usual womanizing and enjoying his job a little bit more.

Now if they DO go that way and save the latter half of the film for some more serious moments, what would be more interesting to me is a storyline for M that has her removed from power at Haines' instigation, and is warned if she or MI6 interfere in his business the consequences could be dire. Of course she is then in an even more dangerous position without any allies but Bond, and is killed when she continues to give him counsel and access to resources he could not get on his own. This storyline could then be continued in the next film. This would also be a good way to introduce her successor, and while I don't seem to have the problem others do with a female M, I would like to see the role returned to that of a male. Here's what could make it all even more interesting- does Haines have a "puppet M" installed to protect Quantum who facilitates M's death on their behalf? He then is arrested or eliminated by the end of the film and a new M is introduced in BOND 24. Or do we get the successor now, a man who tries to prevent her death, and then sees the handwriting on the wall and takes the patriotic road, playing and then outwitting Haines as a way to get rid of him and any other sympathetic elements who have infiltrated MI6, thereby earning the right to continue in the position?

Any thoughts? Is my reasoning way out there or does it make sense to others as a fresher idea should Aubergine be right? The one thing for sure is that no one but those involved know which way this movie is going, and that we should all try to remain positive instead of taking a negative view based on past films.

Very good idea, @SirHenryLeeChaChing !!
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    It would be an exit with a bang if M were to be executed by Bond (think of the President in first season of "24"), but would just barely escape. By the end of the movie she could actually die, sacrificing herself for a greater good. If this were done without Bond to go on a revenge mission for Bond24, then I would like the story. Desmond Llewelyn as Q disappeared without explanation, but Judi Dench should be given a grand treatment. I quite liked her composure in TWINE and how she tried to escape with wit and knowledge.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    The greater good.
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 2,107
    deleted for failure in fuction
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    It would be an exit with a bang if M were to be executed by Bond (think of the President in first season of "24"), but would just barely escape.
    No thanks, sorry. ;-)
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    I see, the less Dench is involved, the better? I think she is a great actress, Bond23 should be her last, and she deserves a sympathetic farewell in style.
    edited July 2011 Posts: 15,690
    I see, the less Dench is involved, the better? I think she is a great actress, Bond23 should be her last, and she deserves a sympathetic farewell in style.
    Yes she is a great actress, but she has been polluting the franchise for the last 4 outings. Let's keep the damage minimal in her last one.... don't give her 30 mins of screentime for her 'goodbyes'... Kill her, and that's it... don't make a 'fake' death only to have a real one later. One death, please.
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 2,107
    Aye! I agree. She's one of the best things happened to Bond in the past recent decades. And I mean it. She brought a fresh female authority in the almost all male MI6.

And she's a great person too. Judi I mean.
  • Meow DC007.

This M will leave with DC - if she is killed off - DC will be on another (yawn) revenge mission. I think she'll retire with DC after two more films and we'll start afresh yet again aaaaaaah.
    Best she retired before Craig. Remember, she's an elderly lady.
    Dench will be 80 in B24... Too old for M, sorry.
  • She looks good for someone hitting the 80 mark. Is that in dog years? And what's the betting they'll shoot Bond 23 and 24 back-to-back and surprise us all?

She should have stayed and retired with the PB era - hindsight is a beautiful thing.

I always fancied Kenneth Branagh - in the role but he's only about 7 yrs older than DC - but govt ho's are getting younger these days.

• Meow DC007.

This M will leave with DC - if she is killed off - DC will be on another (yawn) revenge mission. I think she'll retire with DC after two more films and we'll start afresh yet again aaaaaaah.
    That's incorrect. This is the last film Dench is contracted for and she will not be back. Craig will have a new M for BOND 24.

Count me as a Dench fan too. She did a fine job and shouldn't be blamed for some of the scripts she was handed. I thought she was terrific in GE and both of Craig's outings in a role equally mentor and boss. If you pay close attention to the last two films, you can see her M teaching the novice agent valuable lessons that become part of the more familiar character we've been used to. Thanks for the earlier compliment DC, but calling her role in the last two films "pollution" isn't a point I understand.

edited July 2011 Posts: 13,350
    I hope so. I am also hoping Mendes will say something in the coming month. Ever since he was first rumored back in January 2010 we never heard him saying anything about Bond 23.

Because of this I wonder if we'll not hear anything until November. It wouldn't surprise me. It'll be during the press conference that month that the lid will be lifted on the film and maybe at this rate, the cast as well!

With official pre-production underway later this month Craig be allowed to, or at least say something.
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    Meow DC007.

That's incorrect. This is the last film Dench is contracted for and she will not be back. Craig will have a new M for BOND 24.

Count me as a Dench fan too. She did a fine job and shouldn't be blamed for some of the scripts she was handed. I thought she was terrific in GE and both of Craig's outings in a role equally mentor and boss. If you pay close attention to the last two films, you can see her M teaching the novice agent valuable lessons that become part of the more familiar character we've been used to. Thanks for the earlier compliment DC, but calling her role in the last two films "pollution" isn't a point I understand.

Ere ere on the scripts handed to her. Let's see fresh blood on B24. Purvis and Wade are no match for Maibaum. Time for them to close their laptops.
    I don't think they'll kill M off. It sounds too much like fanservice. Brown and Lee retired with dignity; EON never went to extremes to write them out of the films. I don't see why the plot should revolve around Dench taking a bullet. If I were writing BOND 23, M would simply be retired and in BOND 24, her success would remark that she left a note in Bond's file: his methods are unorthodox, but he can be trusted. M needs to survive BOND 23 or else we risk getting back into rehashed trust-based subplots with the new M.
    When EON decide to tell us.
    It's likely a title hasn't even been decided on yet. We should know around the time filming begins as per usual, in this case, November.