Hyper-reality check here...

chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
in Bond Movies Posts: 17,691
[Place Bond Movie Title Here] would have ended dead in its tracks if only [Place Villain or Henchperson name here] had killed Bond at their first opportunity.
Most believable nonsense IMO: Grant playing with Bond (He WAS a nut, right?).
Least believable nonsense: Burying Bond in an oil pipeline to seal his fate (smelling like a tart's handkerchief). :))

Thoughts on this?

Comments

• edited December 2014 Posts: 4,622
    Least believable nonsense: Burying Bond in an oil pipeline to seal his fate (smelling like a tart's handkerchief).
    This scene fooled me for the longest time, due to the ominous Barry music. I thought poor Bond was in big danger...however, even with the workmen not noticing his ample bulk resting in the pipe, what really was the threat?.... getting bumped by a relatively harmless machine, getting knawed on by the odd lost rat ?

Getting trapped in the piping was an inconvenience, but considering the presence of the work crews, it does seem banging on the piping would have eventually led to rescue.

Still, the scene works well enough. The music does convey ominous danger. Bond does seem to be in peril. He might truly have been trapped in that piping and died.
    And Wint and Kidd, do like to off-their-targets in creative ways. Can't just very well shoot them. (shady tree aside)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    timmer wrote: »
    He might truly have been trapped in that piping and died.
    You love DAF, admit it! ^:)^
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I thought the way Kristatos wanted to rid himself of Bond and Melina in FYEO is pretty believable. I can imagine Kristatos didn't want dirt on his fingers, especially since he was still buddy-buddy with the British, so the sharks were convenient.

And I never thought I'd say this but actually TMWTGG has a pretty convincing moment to offer too. Scaramanga wants to keep Bond around because he considers a duel with Bond more important than a quickly shot Bond.

The worst? Perhaps Stromberg. Why keep Bond around? You're on an oil tanker. It's not like you're going to stain the carpet or anything. Shoot him and go on conquering the world!
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    It's not like you're going to stain the carpet or anything.

:)) =)) :-j
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Birdleson wrote: »
    That whole, pipe, rat, handkerchief thing actually happened to my aunt, so I can't agree.
    Love this.

=))
    How about Alec putting James & Natalia in the 'copter ALIVE-? Talk about a Batman TV series set-up. Like Alec wouldn't see the possibility of Bond escaping that predicament...
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 4,622
    chrisisall wrote: »
    He might truly have been trapped in that piping and died.
    You love DAF, admit it! ^:)^
    Well, I do of course....but.....the scene does work, despite its being easily deconstructed as I did in previous post.
    The ominous Barry music is the key. This is great filmmaking. The music, and mood of danger and peril it creates, does the selling.
    Same with the suspensful build-up to the attack of the scary pipe-welding machine.
    As we must often do with 007, we suspend disbelief. Barry delivers in that respect.
    I can buy it, every time I watch. :)

Well, I do of course....but.....
    No BUTS. It's total fun. Like Hamilton's Remo. I'm right there with ya.
    ;)
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    i never felt like any of the situations where the villains try to dispatch Bond in exotic ways were ever believable..

as much as i fault Grant for not offing Bond when he had him knocked out - he wanted to humiliate Bond before he executed him.. there is something more believable about that kind of hubris in a guy that has spent his whole training doing one thing - and thats being able to outsmart and kill Bond..

the least believable because of the circumstances surrounding the events that started the film is Drax trying to kill or harm Bond in Moonraker.... as it stands, Drax could very well be the dumbest villain in the history of the franchise - he steals back the shuttle he loaned to Britain simply because one of his own developed a fault and needed to be replaced....... hello, he builds the damn things - he could've built a new one, adjusted his timetable, and killed the entire planet before anyone would've gotten wise..... but be that as it may - it was still unclear to everyone that Drax was responsible for the theft of his own shuttle, so when Bond shows up to investigate, instead of being welcoming and thankful (as much as his pompous bravado would allow him to be).. he does everything possible to let Bond know "Hey, I'm the bad guy you're looking for." - from the way he talks to Bond, then upon meeting him - he orders his lackey to harm Bond... why on earth?? it makes no sense... let Bond investigate and then move on.... but nope....

so, it was a bit of lengthy explanation - but yeah, the least believable moments for me would be every time Drax tried with Bond, because had he not been so shortsighted from the jump - he wouldn't have had to deal with Bond at all..
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited December 2014 Posts: 16,330
    It's called Escapist Fantasy for a reason. :))
    My mistake. I've had a bit too much to drink tonight. :P
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    That whole, pipe, rat, handkerchief thing actually happened to my aunt...
    Was she a bit "dotty", and bequeath you a stable of horses in her will?

Birdleson wrote: »
    @Murdock , I feel an obligation to look out for you, young sportsman. Watch out for that strong drink, leads to trouble.

I don't always drink, but when I do. It's always in the safety of my own home.