Unused Gunbarrels

PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
in Bond Movies Posts: 3,675
I was curious as to the number of gunbarrels that were filmed, but never used.

Mods, if there is already a discussion on this, feel free to point me in the right direction and lock this one up.

Comments

• edited November 2014 Posts: 4,813
    I think there is a thread, but it must be so old that I can't find it!

There are (at least seen by the public) unused ones for Dalton and Brosnan that I can think of. Dalton's isn't very good I dont think; he hops like Bob Simmons and lands with his knee pointed funny and inward.
    royaldaltontldgb.jpg

Brosnan's was pretty cool though- it can be seen in the original TND teaser trailer and he uses both hands on the gun, just like Moore

Untitled-1-2.jpg
  • I've heard they filmed Roger Moore with a hat (a la Connery and Lazenby) but everyone involved concluded it didn't look right.
  • ^Cool I never new that. I'm picturing it and I'd have to agree it probably looked funny.

On the other hand, I suppose they could have filmed a brand new one for Connery without the hat since Bond tossed it away in OHMSS.

IMO Pierce should have had more due to his long tenure and ever changing hairstyle. Looks a bit funny seeing GE Bond walk out and suddenly it's DAD Bond, lol
    Moore should have had a third- his was pushing 10 years old by the time AVTAK came out!
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    i remember Broz on the DAD commentary said that he wanted to re-film that opening gunbarrel, but they never got to do it...
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    edited November 2014 Posts: 3,332
    Following up on what others have said, here is Timothy Dalton's unused Gunbarrel:

Also when searching I found this weird Moonraker gunbarrel. 99% it is fan made, but it still freaks me out!

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    :)) loved the Moonraker one.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Wow. That jump is quite large. Like the Moonraker one, too! Did Pierce Brosnan film one in 1986?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited November 2014 Posts: 13,882
    Wow. That jump is quite large. Like the Moonraker one, too! Did Pierce Brosnan film one in 1986?

I doubt it, they didn't get as far as to film anything with Brosnan, in 1986/87.

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

I doubt it, they didn't get as far as to film anything with Brosnan, in 1986/87.

I recall seeing a photo in a magazine with Brosnan with a clapperboard with The Living Daylights on it. However, that was most likely only a publicity shot, but who knows?
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    An unused gunbarrel DC filmed during Quantum of Solace.

nhPaJc7.png
    Any truth to these? Found on the gunbarrel talk page of Wikipedia.

"Details are often added regarding unused gunbarrel sequences (e.g. those that are filmed but not used in the movies). I suggest a separate section - "unused sequences". I can think of at least five - Roger Moore in 1973 (used in several of his trailers), John Gavin in 1971, Pierce Brosnan in 1986 (mentioned in numerous reference works), Pierce Brosnan in 1995 (used in Goldeneye trailer), Daniel Craig in 2008 (as mentioned in the ReelzChannel interview)"
    A lot of the gunbarrels up until Pierce/Craig use Roger's gun noise (Ka-BANG!). Is that really how a PPK sounds?
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    A lot of the gunbarrels up until Pierce/Craig use Roger's gun noise (Ka-BANG!). Is that really how a PPK sounds?

No, I'd have to listen to them all again to be sure but QOS may be the most accurate representation of a PPK's sound. At least for a PPK being fired in an empty room.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited July 2015 Posts: 10,586
    This picture of filming of what I'm assuming is an unused gunbarrel was found in the Skyfall Bond on Set book. I know DC had a different pose in the one that was used.

hqdefault.jpg
    do you think DC will film a new Gun barrel for Spectre or do you think they will use the Skyfall one? I quite liked the Skyfall one, it was much better than the QOS one, but I do like the pose of the still from the unused QOS.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I hope he re-films it with a tux. DC's best 'pose' was the CR gunbarrel.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    They need to sllooooow down the GB for SPECTRE
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    They will definitely refilm it
    An unused gunbarrel DC filmed during Quantum of Solace.

nhPaJc7.png

This 'shape' is much better than the actual gunbarrel used.
  • SMC514SMC514 Station C
    tld-dtooo-1405022411.jpg

Found this after a few days of researching on alternate/unused gunbarrels. I'm pretty sure this was only a promotional image because it's slightly different from the workprint gunbarrel pose. (Dalton's legs seem further apart and his front knee has a slight ben in the workprint). If only high quality versions of alternate gunbarrels were released :D
  • SMC514SMC514 Station C
    GW253H347

Also found this. Small and black and white, but it's pretty damn close to the workprint gunbarrel. I think Dalton just stands a little straighter in the gunbarrel though...
    Thank you for this, @SMC514, and welcome to the forums.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Yes, thanks for posting those, @SMC514. :) It's interesting to see what could have been Dalton's gunbarrel pose. Though I prefer the one that made it into the film.
  • There's a STARLOG cover shot of Dalton that has a dynamic pose while filming gunbarrel that looks more 'balanced' than the reject one and tons better than the actual one. Could have just been posed too, there is no smoke in it, but I always think of that one as the gunbarrel we needed and wanted (and still do, though Brosnan's is almost adequate.)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I remember seeing some behind-the-scenes featurette for SF, and as Craig turned to do the pose, he took a deeper stance than usual- kind of like a martial artist would, and instead of his feet pivoting to face the general direction of the gun barrel, he turned at the hips instead. It looked bloody awesome- and much better than the awkward pose we ended up with.
    Interesting. Well hopefully this time it will be in a tux and at the beginning!
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Is it just me or is Dalton's stance very weak looking?
    New gunbarrel for SPECTRE?
    Ha! Just found this while Googling unused gunbarrels. Imagine that.
    The John Gavin 1971 gunbarrel is one I would like to see.