What brand of cigarettes Bond would use if he was to smoke, nowadays?

ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
Now, as you see, Fleming's Bond was a heavy smoker, and his brand of cigarettes was Morland. But the company went extinct about 50 years ago as far as I know, meaning there are no Morland cigarettes to put in use any longer. I wonder, what kind of brand Bond would have adopted if he was to smoke, these days? Any suggestions?
1357187778-4.jpg

Comments

Like in the novels he would still have his own brand.
    I wonder if there really were tobacconists who'd make up fags in your own special blend. Assuming it wasn't a complete invention, such a business would surely have run out of sufficient custom by now. He'd be on the Bensons I reckon.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Sounds very logical to me, Bond leaping to the Bensons.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 246
    *cough* "Packet o' Bennies and a Sun please mate" *cough*

"'Course, I used to get me own fags made for me back I was a spy. Did I ever tell you about me saving the country and knocking off proper fit birds all the time? Probably haven't. Official fuckin' Secrets. I was a bleedin' hero I was mate."

"gis a Special Brew while you're at it. that's a man's drink for you."
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Bond retires and adopts a 2 bit cockney lifestyle.
    Don't we have Harry Palmer for that? Lol! Or probably Nigel Powers! =))
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Bond retires and adopts a 2 bit cockney lifestyle.

I rather like the idea of Bond as a senior citizen having dispensed with the snobbery and pretention of his working years; disillusionment, gambling and a failure to secure a decent pension (likely because he went AWOL after a job instead of retiring gracefully) putting him in penury. All that's left is the outsider thug he started out as - only he's lost his physical prowess so he becomes an angry anti-social vagabond, with only his wits intact to keep him from going 'full tramp'.

Oh, and Timothy Dalton's choice of smoke was Silk Cut - at least at the time when Licence To Kill came out. So maybe that would be the better brand to saddle Bond with in the absence of his preferred supply.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited June 2016 Posts: 17,787
    Anon wrote: »
    I wonder if there really were tobacconists who'd make up fags in your own special blend. Assuming it wasn't a complete invention, such a business would surely have run out of sufficient custom by now. He'd be on the Bensons I reckon.

Yes, such tobacconists still exist, though not in large numbers one suspects. I know that Timothy Dalton smoked Benson and Hedges Gold cigarettes while filming The Living Daylights - there's a video tape out there somewhere of him riding about on a motorbike on that film. This scene was later cut I believe.
    Haven't tried B&H before. Do they have the same recipes as Morlands or Larks?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited March 2018 Posts: 17,787
    Haven't tried B&H before. Do they have the same recipes as Morlands or Larks?

No idea, as I don't smoke. I've sold many a pack of them. I think they're fairly strong though.

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    In LTK, the last one where he smoked, it were Larks.

They even advertised for them:

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I agree with all, who've said he'd still have his own blend of tobacco, made into
    custom cigarettes
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Failing custom blends Bond may very well smoke Dunhill .
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    Failing custom blends Bond may very well smoke Dunhill .
    I smoke Dunhill! :D
    As do I
    As do I
    With the recent metal case I've acquired, now I can wander around in public, pretending myself to be Sean Connery's Bond. :D

PKK9swQ.jpg
    Very nice. =D>
    I stil use my late fathers case gunmetal grey and battered but I smoke the international length so can only fit 10 in lengthways I've looked for a moden replacement but try as I might can't find one that I feel would be suitable
    Looking at your picture and the fact that your Dunhill are all white are you in the USA ?.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 15,423
    Very nice. =D>
    Thank you! :D
    I stil use my late fathers case gunmetal grey and battered but I smoke the international length so can only fit 10 in lengthways I've looked for a moden replacement but try as I might can't find one that I feel would be suitable
    Looking at your picture and the fact that your Dunhill are all white are you in the USA ?.
    At the moment? No, I'm not on US soil. Only sent on educational practice and training as an experimental teacher somewhere in a not well-known Eastern European country.
    I no longer smoke, but as a Teen, I had a cigarette case. Which actually
    saved me a couple of times at school, when an occasional over zealous
    teached would search us, anthing that felt like a pack of cigarettes would
    have to be taken out of your pocket to be seen.
    Happily my case, was always missed. ;) several of the other guys used
    to joke it was my "Junior smokers kit"
    I no longer smoke, but as a Teen, I had a cigarette case. Which actually
    saved me a couple of times at school, when an occasional over zealous
    teached would search us, anthing that felt like a pack of cigarettes would
    have to be taken out of your pocket to be seen.
    Happily my case, was always missed. ;) several of the other guys used
    to joke it was my "Junior smokers kit"
    James Bond Junior by name. James Bond Junior by reputation. :D
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Smoking is still a very cool activity, like wearing sun glasses. B-)
    Smoking is still a very cool activity, like wearing sun glasses. B-)
    I do both. So far, no complaints. B-)
    so if you smoke while wearing sun glasses, you're super cool ? :D
    so if you smoke while wearing sun glasses, you're super cool ? :D
    I'd like to think so. :D
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Used to smoke Gauloises, I think Fleming mentions those in CR, but I've quit several years ago.

Pretty wise decision, although I think Bond should smoke just like his literary counterpart.
    While I think that Flemings James Bond mirrored the times the James Bond of today would be taken out of service if he would light one up as the expectancy of his job requires being top fit and being a smoker as in the novels would be impossible. And Craigs very physical 007 would not being able to function if he smoked like a bloody chimney like his book character.

I love Fleming but recognise that the modern version should not be smoking. And if they ever had the chance of 007 smoking it would have been before his return to active duty as 007 after his ressurection in SP. Then in his retraining they could have told him of with the filthy habit.
    Maybe he would vape.
    Camel Turkish Royal - I will also go as far as saying they'd be what Ian Foeming would smoke today, if he were alive - back at Jamaica with Ann.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Morland specials of Groveser Street. London.