The Clint Eastwood Appreciation Thread

I have just been watching his movies again and I have to say, what a guy!

The Dollars Trilogy is fantastic, the Dirty Harry series is always entertaining and he directed and starred in films like High Plains Drifter and The Outlaw Josey Wales! What do you guys think of the man legend?

Post away!

Comments

A great actor and a great director.
    Ah, Clint Eastwood. The man is a legend. What a perfect old Bruce Wayne he would be for a Batman Beyond film. Too bad it will probably never happen.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    An excellent actor with such awesomeness. They don't make em like that anymore.
    Thought he was brilliant in "Gran Torino!"
  • Murdock wrote: »
    An excellent actor with such awesomeness. They don't make em like that anymore.

Second that! Plus his achievements as director put many to shame that actually started out in this profession.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Firefox rocks.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Agreed. Legend.

Love Firefox & Where Eagles Dare.

Also really enjoyed his 90's work, including Absolute Power, In the Line of Fire & Space Cowboys.

I have all the Dirty Harry films. The first two are real classics. I see influences even today in the likes of Jack Reacher.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    Agreed. Legend.

Love Firefox & Where Eagles Dare.

Also really enjoyed his 90's work, including Absolute Power, In the Line of Fire & Space Cowboys.

I have all the Dirty Harry films. The first two are real classics. I see influences even today in the likes of Jack Reacher.

Sure they are, but mostly Reacher is a thoroughly softened adaption of Mickey Spillanes Mike Hammer. If you ever want to read about a detective who does his research the tough way then that's the one for you
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited November 2014 Posts: 15,423
    THIS Sounds like my arena! :D

the ones I enjoy most are:
    The Dollars Trilogy
    Where Eagles Dare (best spy film ever on my account)
    the first three films in the Dirty Harry series
    City Heat
    Firefox

And I certainly agree with your statement @bondjames, Jack Reacher is indeed the Dirty Harry of the 21st Century.
    THIS Sounds like my arena! :D

the ones I enjoy most are:
    The Dollars Trilogy
    Where Eagles Dare (best spy film ever on my account)
    the first three films in the Dirty Harry series
    City Heat
    Firefox

And I certainly agree with your statement @bondjames, Jack Reacher is indeed the Dirty Harry of the 21st Century.

Great call on "Where Eagles Dare!". Love absolutely everything about that movie!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I am a big Eastwood fan. I had the great opportunity to work as an extra on Tightrope. I actually got to talk to him a bit as scenes were set up. He is just as cool in person as he is on the big screen.
    I found this online and sent off for the actual still. I am the fellow on the right, in the white lab coat

Tightrope_zps6d7b2582.jpg
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    talos7 wrote: »
    I found this online and sent off for the actual still. I am the fellow on the right, in the white lab coat

Tightrope_zps6d7b2582.jpg
    So cool!! It's so much fun to spot yourself in a finished film, but I've never been in a film of that magnitude...

@RogueAgent, the music alone gives me the chills, very atmospheric, suspenseful, fitting with the storyline like glove! Indubitably it's the best spy film ever made! The setting, the Nazi headquarters, the locations, the action, everything is so perfect about this film! And both Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood were incredibly intense!
    (SPOILER) It's been a while since I see Where Eagles Dare but I remember a scene that was handled so well. A spy is discovered he's going to be brought back, or given the choice to jump from the plane. What I liked about this scene was the way they handled the jump. If I remember correctly the door of the plane is opened and you can hear the wind outside. You don't see the guy jump; you just hear a "gap" in the sound of the wind. You don't see the leap but know it happened. I know I'm fuzzy on the specifics. Now I have to order it on Blu-ray. It's available as a double feature with Kelly's Heroes
    talos7 wrote: »
    (SPOILER) It's been a while since I see Where Eagles Dare but I remember a scene that was handled so well. A spy is discovered he's going to be brought back, or given the choice to jump from the plane. What I liked about this scene was the way they handled the jump. If I remember correctly the door of the plane is opened and you can hear the wind outside. You don't see the guy jump; you just hear a "gap" in the sound of the wind. You don't see the leap but know it happened. I know I'm fuzzy on the specifics. Now I have to order it on Blu-ray. It's available as a double feature with Kelly's Heroes
    I believe he did jump, talos7. Because he was going to be executed had he was brought back on the western soils. And besides, his identity was going to be exposed in public, and he was going to be utterly humiliated, something not every man can stand. So, he took "the alternative" instead. I do remember in the novel, though, that Eastwood's character and the "pretty Alpine Rose" got married, with the former couldn't stop looking at her in the book, often praising her beauty, while in the film, they barely had a dialogue. I did hear a marriage scene was planned for the ending, though, with the script being slightly different. Things is, I am a massive Alistair MacLean fan, and I do enjoy every single film he has made, and the books he wrote. But I do think, Where Eagles Dare is his best of all, followed closely by Ice Station Zebra.
    Indeed, I had no doubt that he did. I really like that it was conveyed with sound.
    That makes two of us. Powerful moment.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    William Munney in UNFORGIVEN. What a character. And what a cast that movie had.
    "We all got it coming, kid"
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    English Bob and Little Bill sure did.
    @RogueAgent, the music alone gives me the chills, very atmospheric, suspenseful, fitting with the storyline like glove! Indubitably it's the best spy film ever made! The setting, the Nazi headquarters, the locations, the action, everything is so perfect about this film! And both Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood were incredibly intense!

You sum it up perfectly, and the twists in the film are brilliant too!

I have just been watching his movies again and I have to say, what a guy!

The Dollars Trilogy is fantastic, the Dirty Harry series is always entertaining and he directed and starred in films like High Plains Drifter and The Outlaw Josey Wales! What do you guys think of the man legend?

Post away!
    Well Clint Eastwood is good & always be most loved Actor. His role he did like the man with no & Dirty Harry will never be play by another actor because no one can play like him. It called untouched roles. Like Syvester Stallone Rocky & Rambo. I glad what he in the past of his career.

• RogueAgent wrote: »

You sum it up perfectly, and the twists in the film are brilliant too!

Yes they are,but they are also a prime example of volatile writing. The script was written on the fly (right on set so to speak ) and if you really think about it many of the twists especially towards the end don't make much sense. Still it's a hell of an entertaining movie.
    From Where Eagles Dare. When you saw the movie in its entirely, did the ending have your mind boggled? Wasn't the last revelation a big plot twist?
    10426217_866475293383603_4459732790510146619_n.jpg?oh=2a9c6c2af05f5820083825b266f3ed36&oe=5504B612&__gda__=1427403690_b95a7fe4417a4c983d84f4137579d0f4
    From Where Eagles Dare. When you saw the movie in its entirely, did the ending have your mind boggled? Wasn't the last revelation a big plot twist?
    10426217_866475293383603_4459732790510146619_n.jpg?oh=2a9c6c2af05f5820083825b266f3ed36&oe=5504B612&__gda__=1427403690_b95a7fe4417a4c983d84f4137579d0f4

And as luck would have it? It was on tonight! :-bd
    I ordered the Blu-ray and it looks great. The two stars really play off of each other well.
    Most definitely. Both are incredibly intense.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    A Fistful of Dollars hits 60 years old this year, I rewatched the film last night, incredible cinematic experience, a masterpiece showcasing the talents of three all time greats in Eastwood, Leone and Morricone.

I always thought that the Burton's role was intended for Connery.