BOND POLLS 2014: Sir Roger Moore's best acting moments

edited November 2014 in Bond Movies Posts: 11,119
Roger Moore himself is always kind of underwhelmed about his own acting skills. And although he prefers his funnier acting moments in the Bond films, I think there were plentiful moments in his Bond films where I thought "Ooowh wow....that guy deserves an Oscar!" or "Man, this is how Ian Fleming meant Bond to be!".

Down below I have summarized some of the finest scenes/moments in his 7 Bond films. Usually these moments have depth & drama. They are all about well-written dialogues being executed wunderfully thanks to Sir Roger Moore's acting skills.

Voting is simple. Rank the "acting moments" in TOP 5 order.
Your 5th place gets 1 POINT
Your 4th place gets 2 POINTS
Your "bronze medalist" gets 3 POINTS,
Your "runner-up" gets 4 POINTS.
And your "favourite acting moment" gets 6 POINTS.

The list:

--> Best Acting Moment #01, "LALD":
<<Bond enjoying the bathroom - death threat by snake>>
Nature of scene: medium-sized scene, not much dialogue, prominent scene for actor Roger Moore
--> Best Acting Moment #02, "LALD":
<<Bond's little finger cut off-threat - Kananga reveal>>
Nature of scene: medium-sized scene, lot of dialogue, prominent scene for actor Yaphet Kotto
--> Best Acting Moment #03, "LALD":
<<Bond making love to Rosie Carver - making her run to her death>>
Nature of scene: small scene, medium amount of dialogue, prominent scene for actor Roger Moore
--> Best Acting Moment #04, "TMWTGG":
<<Bond in Macau - Bond confronting Lazar>>
Nature of scene: medium-sized scene, lot of dialogue, prominent scene for actor Roger Moore
--> Best Acting Moment #05, "TMWTGG":
<<Peninsula hotel room scene - Bond confronting Andrea Anders>>
Nature of scene: larger scene, medium amount of dialogue, prominent scene for actor Roger Moore
--> Best Acting Moment #06, "TMWTGG":
<<Bond & Scaramanga having "light dinner conversation">>
Nature of scene: medium-sized scene, lot of dialogue, prominent scene for actors Roger Moore and Christopher Lee
--> Best Acting Moment #07, "TSWLM":
<<Bond & Stromberg face to face - Bond kills Stromberg with his PPK>>
Nature of scene: small scene, medium amount of dialogue, prominent scene for actor Roger Moore
--> Best Acting Moment #08, "TSWLM":
<<Bond & Anya introducing each other - Bond's past>>
Nature of scene: small scene, medium amount of dialogue, prominent scene for actress Barbara Bach
--> Best Acting Moment #09, "TSWLM":
<<Bond explaining Anya why he killed Boris - Cala di Volpe Hotel>>
Nature of scene: small scene, medium amount of dialogue, prominent scene for Roger Moore/Barbara Bach
--> Best Acting Moment #10, "MR":
<<Bond being tortured by the centrifuge - his reaction afterwards>>
Nature of scene: small scene, not much dialogue, prominent scene for actor Roger Moore
--> Best Acting Moment #11, "MR":
<<Bond investigating neuro toxin in Venice - death of scientists>>
Nature of scene: larger scene, no dialogue, prominent scene for actor Roger Moore
--> Best Acting Moment #12, "FYEO":
<<Bond visiting Tracy's grave - look on his face>>
Nature of scene: small scene, no dialogue, prominent scene for actor Roger Moore
--> Best Acting Moment #13, "FYEO":
<<Bond kicking off Emile Leopold Locque from the cliff>>
Nature of scene: small scene, not much dialogue, prominent scene for actor Roger Moore
--> Best Acting Moment #14, "FYEO":
<<Melina and Bond having a sleigh ride - Bond very sensitive>>
Nature of scene: larger scene, lot of dialogue, prominent scene for actor Roger Moore
--> Best Acting Moment #15, "OP":
<<Bond getting mad at Orlov "What happens when US retaliates!!">>
Nature of scene: small scene, lot of dialogue, prominent scene for actor Roger Moore
--> Best Acting Moment #16, "OP":
<<Chasing the bomb - from stealing car till dismantling bomb>>
Nature of scene: larger scene, medium amount of dialogue, prominent scene for actor Roger Moore
--> Best Acting Moment #17, "OP":
<<Bond chased by 2nd twin - Bond killing 2nd twin>>
--> Best Acting Moment #18, "AVTAK":
<<Bond meets Zorin for the first time - "Flycasting">>

Comments

• Birdleson wrote: »
    The problem I have with this one is that I would probably have a whole different set of Best Moore Acting Moments.

What acting moments from Roger Moore would you have added then @Birdleson? I mean, I tried to find the scenes that have the most "gravita", acting-wise, for Roger Moore. And it's not that easy ;-). Which moments would you like to add? Maybe we can cooperate on this poll?
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    I enjoyed the TSWLM first speaking encounter with Anya. Where they 1-up each other and explain each others tendencies and past, with Bond's reaction when Anya mentions his previous marriage.
  • I enjoyed the TSWLM first speaking encounter with Anya. Where they 1-up each other and explain each others tendencies and past, with Bond's reaction when Anya mentions his previous marriage.

I initially had that moment included as well. But most of it is acting from Barbara Bach. In any case, I have re-included the scene. Also because I really like Bond's reaction. Which is also good acting.
    Love the whole defusing the bomb sequence in OP.

What about the bit in Macau where he gets info from Scaramanga's bullet maker. Nice scene.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Bronze: Eating terribly interesting mushrooms with Scaramanga
    Silver: A clown defuses the bomb
    Gold: Wait, Locque was in the car I just kicked off the cliff.
  • Okay, I have updated the scenes acording to @Birdleson 's and @MooseWithFleas 's recommendations. There are now a total of 18 scenes from which you can choose for your TOP 5. It's now TOP 5, because there are now more scenes to choose from. I have also written a small description of the nature of the scene/acting moment. Time to vote now :-)!
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited November 2014 Posts: 2,629
    Kerim wrote: »

Revised vote:

Gold: Wait, Locque was in the car I just kicked off the cliff
    Silver: A clown defuses the bomb.
    Copper (4th): This is for 009 making me vote again.
    Aluminum Foil (5th): Lazar held his piece often before and after Bond left.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    :))
  • Kerim wrote: »
    Kerim wrote: »

Revised vote:

Gold: Wait, Locque was in the car I just kicked off the cliff
    Silver: A clown defuses the bomb.
    Copper (4th): This is for 009 making me vote again.
    Aluminum Foil (5th): Lazar held his piece often before and after Bond left.

You're funny @Kerim :D
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    1.) #9 - TWSLM Bond explaining death of Boris
    2.) #8 - TWSLM Bond Anya introduction
    3.) #4 -TMWTGGBond with Lazar
    4.) #2 - LALDBond/Kananga/Mr Big reveal
    5.)#16 - OP bomb diffuse
  • The more I look into this topic, the more I start to believe that Roger Moore really did his best acting in TMWTGG. He really had to act here. He was cold-hearted, Fleming-esque. I start to think that Moore's best performance as Bond was in TMWTGG, followed closely by FYEO and OP.

Anyway, my TOP 5:
    01 --> Best Acting Moment #05, "TMWTGG": Peninsula hotel room scene
    02 --> Best Acting Moment #04, "TMWTGG": Bond in Macau, confronting Lazar
    03 --> Best Acting Moment #16, "OP": from stealing car till dismantling bomb
    04 --> Best Acting Moment #13, "FYEO": Bond killing Emile Leopold Locque
    05 --> Best Acting Moment #07, "TSWLM": Bond kills Stromberg with his PPK
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I would add these-

AVTAK- "killing Tibbet was a mistake"

AVTAK- "I'm speechless with admiration"

Being my favourite Bond, I'm finding it difficult to conjure a top 5, but everything mentioned so far are good contenders.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I was going to mention the "speechless with admiration" line, as well. One can almost feel Moore's palpable contempt of Zorin in that scene.

Bronze - Dinner with Scaramanga
    Silver - Chatting with Orlov
    Gold - Bond and Anya in their hotel room
    Kicking the assassin off the cliff in FYEO.
  • Keep voting guys. Current standings will follow this week.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2014 Posts: 23,883
    1. MR - g-force simulator scene. He doesn't talk much, but he does more and shows more fear in that scene without speaking than I've seen elsewhere or by any other Bond actor except maybe Craig when he comforts Vesper in the shower

2. TSWLM - scene with Anya at Mojaba club when confronted about Tracy and scene after the car chase when confronted about Anya's boyfriend, to his look in the submersible at the end when he thinks he's about to be shot.

3. Clown scene in OP

4. Interrogation scene/Mr. Big revelation in chair in LALD

5. TMWTGG - Lazaar

6. TMWTGG - smacking around Andrea Anders at the Penninsula hotel
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    One of the shortest lists in history, along with 'great British lovers' :D

But seriously, old Rog is king in the land of fantasy James Bond.

His scene:

Best Acting Moment #08, "TSWLM":
    <<Bond & Anya introducing each other - Bond's past>>
    Funny how none of his memorable moments are usually action sequences.
    But that's the same with any actor. Dialogue driven scenes, or "quieter scenes" and scenes of tension, is when acting gets a chance to shine.
    I think he was at his best in the fights in TSWLM. The Chandor encounter (I think he actually lifted his leg above waist line in that one, which was, for Sir Rog, quite impressive) and the fight with Anya's thugs near the pyramids were standouts for me.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    The Sandor fight was great, but mostly for that ending. I believe that Moore's best hand to hand fight as Bond was jun the belly dancer's dressing room in TMWTGG.

I loved that one too, but because of Barry's outstanding score and Moore's classic quip at the end, bloody lip and all.

@doubleohdad has a real hard-on for pointing out that Moore's fights were shitty. We get, and no one is saying different. For those that love Moore, his believability in action was never the issue or the reason. Move on.

If you're admitting they were shitty, then why complain?
  • retrovertigoretrovertigo Australia
    I like this list. Good work putting it together. I've always rated two scenes in Octopussy very highly, the bidding on the egg against Kamal and the "double" - "you can only win with a double six" exchange with Kamal. Both Roger and Lois did very well with both.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    I like this list. Good work putting it together. I've always rated two scenes in Octopussy very highly, the bidding on the egg against Kamal and the "double" - "you can only win with a double six" exchange with Kamal. Both Roger and Lois did very well with both.

Agreed. The auction scene in OP was Moore's most subtle & Fleming-esque moment (and the best part of that film by a mile).
    Right up there with his cliff-top 'execution' of Loque in FYEO...

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I think FYEO is Roger's finest film and has many excellent moments in it. More than a few.
    I vaguely remember the Moore Bond knocking his tie away from someone, who then falls to his death??? The unknowing killing of the MI6 agent in QoS seemed to riff off that idea.
    That was Bond vs Sandor in THE SPY WHO LOVED ME, one of the iconic moments in the franchise. The bit in QUANTUM was a definite homage.

TSWLM was filled with so many of those (iconic moments that is) it isn't funny.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2014 Posts: 15,690
    1st place: TMWTGG - Lazar
    2nd place: MR - Centrifuge reaction
    3rd place: FYEO - Kicking the car
    4th place: TSWLM - Killing Stromberg
    5th place: TMWTGG: Dinner with Scaramanga

Honourable mentions: 'Banana' Q scene (FYEO), letting the guy fall off the roof (TSWLM), Auction scene (OP), M scene and leaving with a smug smile (TMWTGG), the hand wave to Gogol (FYEO), 'it's all in the wrist' (OP).
    I vaguely remember the Moore Bond knocking his tie away from someone, who then falls to his death??? The unknowing killing of the MI6 agent in QoS seemed to riff off that idea.

I've actually never thought of that. But yes, it certainly must be.
  • I agree that the auction scene from OP was pretty good. But we need to vote now :-). I can't change the list constantly, especially not now the voting has been open. That's a bit unfair.

So please keep voting and choose your favourite scenes from the list.