How TLD came so close to being the quintessential 007 movie

AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
edited November 2014 in Bond Movies Posts: 1,727
This post is this not only because I’m partial to the film (always in my top 5), but I feel that if it had been fine-tuned a bit more before shooting, The Living Daylights could have quite possibly been the ultimate Bond film, period.
That, and also cos I’m bored and waiting for some decent official B24 news…
Indulge me, if you will, for just a moment.

Eon pulled all the stops out for TLD because it simply had to score big on thrills & visuals to establish a new Bond after public darling Moore retired. It was most likely written first for Roger Moore, then edited with Brosnan in mind, and only a few minor script details were made once Dalton came on board. IF EoN had taken a bit more time to tailor the script to Dalton’s strengths (although he does very well with it) – ie. dispensed with the Moneypenny silliness and made an effort to write the main villains properly - then I venture that TLD would be on a par with FRWL and CR.

Things that could have been done better:

- Minor script changes to dispense with silliness (Moneypenny, Cello-on-snow…)
- Slightly better lines for Kara (although I think she has more charm than most other Bond girls…)
- Cast Koskov and Whitaker properly, and give them a slightly stronger script to work with

Things TLD already does better than 90% of all the Bond films:

- Pre title sequence, up there with the very best
- Strong 007 - whether you like Dalton or not, he made Bond utterly believable for perhaps the very first time. His scenes with M & Saunders, in particular, are top-notch.
- Real cold war plot. Not ‘complicated’ as many state, merely more intricate than most Bond films
- Best use of Ian Fleming’s material in the series (Sniper / defection)
- Superior stunt set pieces - Defection, Safe house, Mid-air fight, Escape from C-130 cargo plane, and possibly the best Aston Martin chase of the whole series
- Magnificent score by John Barry, one his very best

Many will still not agree with me, of course, but you can see what I’m getting at, surely…

Comments

I am very fond of TLD, but watching it again recently I was struck how it flags in the second half. The villains are really a bit limp as well. Rewatching OP soon after, I have to say I think I enjoyed it more overall. Having said that, there's still plenty that I love about TLD.

I think for me it would have been great if there'd been a bit more of the serious espionage stuff from the first half.

Amazing score though, and I think Dalts makes a great first stab at the role.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2014 Posts: 23,883
    I agree entirely. This was and is one of my favourite Bonds.

Although I missed Roger Moore at the time, Dalton slipped into the role comfortably and brought a realism & believability to it that was refreshing. I was looking forward to a long tenure for him.

The bit with Saunders and the gun in Vienna is one of the standouts to me. Reminds me so much of that scene with Kerim in FRWL. Dark, espionage-like & beautifully shot. Recently, the China SF scene also brought that same feeling back. All dealing with assassins/sniper type situations.

Pre-titles was also fantastic. “Hold on, you're dead!”

John Barry's best score (apart from OHMSS or TB) & a testament to the man's genius. What a way to go out on top.

My problem was with the casting. I thought that Art Malik & John Rhys-Davies were perfectly cast, as was Andreas Wisniewski (if a bit of a cliche - blonde thug). However, the following were miscast:

1. Maryam d'Abo (a bit plain jane for me). If Isabella Scurupco had this role this movie would be in my top 3
    2. Jeroen Krabbé - clown.
    3. Joe Don Baker - again, clown. Much better as Wade.

It's amazing whenever I watch this movie that we are now fighting the same guys who we were buddies with in Afghanistan. Strange world.

So I thought it was a very promising start for Dalton after AVTAK, and recaptured the '60s' Bond feeling in my mind. Unfortunately, they did not build on this with LTK, but rather unpredictably took a detour in style that the public did not take to (regretably).
  • Campbell2Campbell2 Epsilon Rho Rho house, Bending State University
    TLD's problems are the villains, they feel not at all threatening enough for Bond. Koskov is like a big naughty teddy bear, bit clumsy but almost charming enough you forget he's supposed to be a baddie. Whitaker is just a big boy playing with toys. They should have had one single guy who's brutal enough to finish his girlfriend himself when she's no longer useful and Bond doesn't fall for the sniper ruse.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I agree entirely. This was and is one of my favourite Bonds.

Although I missed Roger Moore at the time, Dalton slipped into the role comfortably and brought a realism & believability to it that was refreshing. I was looking forward to a long tenure for him.

The bit with Saunders and the gun in Vienna is one of the standouts to me. Reminds me so much of that scene with Kerim in FRWL. Dark, espionage-like & beautifully shot. Recently, the China SF scene also brought that same feeling back. All dealing with assassins/sniper type situations.

Pre-titles was also fantastic. “Hold on, you're dead!”

John Barry's best score (apart from OHMSS or TB) & a testament to the man's genius. What a way to go out on top.

My problem was with the casting. I thought that Art Malik & John Rhys-Davies were perfectly cast, as was Andreas Wisniewski (if a bit of a cliche - blonde thug). However, the following were miscast:

1. Maryam d'Abo (a bit plain jane for me). If Isabella Scurupco had this role this movie would be in my top 3
    2. Jeroen Krabbé - clown.
    3. Joe Don Baker - again, clown. Much better as Wade.

It's amazing whenever I watch this movie that we are now fighting the same guys who we were buddies with in Afghanistan. Strange world.

So I thought it was a very promising start for Dalton after AVTAK, and recaptured the '60s' Bond feeling in my mind. Unfortunately, they did not build on this with LTK, but rather unpredictably took a detour in style that the public did not take to (regretably).

I thought Maryam d'Abo was good. Agreed, she doesn't set the screen on fire, but her relationship with Dalts is very convincing. One of the better Bond girls IMO. In a way, the fact she isn't just eye candy helps the film.

I thought Krabbe was good but what his performance lacked was a peeling away of the clownish exterior to reveal a truly unpleasant and nasty villain inside - he sort of plays it for laughs right upto the end. In the scene where he betrays Kara, he should have just become utterly emotionless. I'm sure Krabbe was capable.

I don't like Joe Don Baker in TLD or as Wade.

Yes, Bond teaming up with the Taliban is a little 'unfortunate'.
    "Getafix wrote:
    I thought Maryam d'Abo was good. Agreed, she doesn't set the screen on fire, but her relationship with Dalts is very convincing. One of the better Bond girls IMO. In a way, the fact she isn't just eye candy helps the film.

You're probably right. She played well off Tim. I just found her a bit plain physically. I think Dalton deserved someone a little more alluring (i.e. Scorupco). That's a deeply personal opinion of course (and one that is likely not shared by others), but it did influence my view (somewhat subconsciously) of the movie.

Krabbe can be good. He was good in the Fugitive. You're right though - he played it for laughs, as did Baker. Maybe as a counterpoint to Tim's straight portrayal of Bond
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 11,425
    "Getafix wrote:

You're probably right. She played well off Tim. I just found her a bit plain physically. I think Dalton deserved someone a little more alluring (i.e. Scorupco). That's a deeply personal opinion of course (and one that is likely not shared by others), but it did influence my view (somewhat subconsciously) of the movie.

Krabbe can be good. He was good in the Fugitive. You're right though - he played it for laughs, as did Baker. Maybe as a counterpoint to Tim's straight portrayal of Bond

Was never a fan of Scorupco - I find her performance way more bland than D'Abo's.

I assume that when they cast D'Abo they were looking for a Natasha Kinski lookalike. They may even have tried to cast Kinski, for all I know - she was one of the 'it' girls of the moment in 87. I think Kinski would have brought the required level of alluringness to the screen.

But as I say, I think D'Abo's performance is actually pretty good.
    I love The Living Daylights. There's really nothing else I can say about it that hasn't already been said. I think it was way ahead of it's time. I think the plot itself was interesting and I think Timothy Dalton is James Bond. I wish he was given more than 2 movies to develop the role.
    "Getafix wrote:
    I assume that when they cast D'Abo they were looking for a Natasha Kinski lookalike. They may even have tried to cast Kinski, for all I know - she was one of the 'it' girls of the moment in 87. I think Kinski would have brought the required level of alluringness to the screen.

God yes. Kinski at that time was quite a stunner. I remember a poster of her wrapped in a snake that was particularly alluring to a young lad growing up in England.

And yes, I'm bringing my personal biases to this discussion. D'Abo was perfectly serviceable in TLD. She certainly wasn't Lynn Holly Johnson, or Talisa Soto for that matter.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 11,425
    D'Abo does look quite a lot like her. A poor man's Kinski, but the resemblance is quite striking.

Soto is so wooden it's like someone has thrown a chair onto the set, but she is quite 'alluring'. Still, a shame they didn't cast a young Salma Hayek.

I think I read somewhere that Davi swung the casting of Soto. He told Glen that she looked like a woman that Sanchez could kill for. Apparently.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited November 2014 Posts: 5,080
    The Living Daylights sits comfortably in my top ten, but falls short of making the top 5 for the following reasons-
    -I did not care for the either villain
    -I dislike the showdown between Bond and Whitaker, it's just silly
    -the films drags a bit in the middle
    -the plot becomes a little convoluted

However, all of these are remedied in Dalton's next picture, and so it is Licence to Kill that makes it into my top 5.

The Cello sequence and some of the gags with the Aston Martin drag this down a bit toward the goofiness of the previous Bond, but otherwise this is a steady, well done if unspectacular picture. The note above about the 007/WHitacker showdown is fair as well, not shot very interestingly in my opinion. The first two sequences in this picture are absolutely brilliant, the Gibraltar opening and the Sympphony sequence. Just brilliant.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Something I like about TLD (and it applies to LTK as well) is that the movie feels a bit 'small', kind of like a Fleming novel. It's cozy, like Connery's first two. No big world threat to head off at the last second or the like.
    That shot above the parachuters, above Gibraltar, with a few flutes at John Barry;s whim…sublime.

Some of the gags in the Aston Martin chase are cool, others are just too silly for my taste.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Had they had a good Bond better script far better director this might have worked but sadly it didn't and its follow up almost killed Bond.

Dalton needed coaching ..too stiff. Too boring.. I think Fleming kinda would have wanted entertaining. Not this cheap looking rubbish.
    This picture also had to be compared to some of the big-boy action films of the time, like the Indy films and Die Hard. I think it's directed well enough, as is License, but not if you compare it to some of the other genre stuff at the time. As far as the cheap-looking comment, you tread heavily…but truthfully. The heart in the ambulance looks like a second rate makeup shop effect, and there's still some residue from the commercially successful but critically reamed Moore Bonds, which also helped to nearly kill the franchise. COmpare that picture action-wise with Cameron's Terminator, or the INdy films, or Die Hard, and you can see where the franchise was sagging, stories being made by an older-generation
    All opinions are valid, I guess... *COUGHBITEME*

:))
    "mcdonbb wrote:
    Dalton needed coaching ..too stiff. Too boring.. I think Fleming kinda would have wanted entertaining. Not this cheap looking rubbish.

Ouch...
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Thank goodness they removed the "Magic Carpet" scene.
    Ouch...
    Time for a small wake up call here- Bond was not conceived as a super hero, & the movies at the beginning were not designed as blockbusters. Cinematically, Goldfinger was the pivotal moment. Big & flashy, yet heavily Fleming at the same time. That precise mix would never happen again IMHO, and the reason so many feel it's the perfect Bond movie. For me, smaller films are more Fleminesque (not to say others aren't fine achievements).
    Ok I got a tad worked up. In all honesty I like TD ...even given my opinion. I wanted people to like him but what they gave us was just no where near on par with the competition. Bond deserved so much more.
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Ok I got a tad worked up. In all honesty I like TD ...even given my opinion. I wanted people to like him but what they gave us was just no where near on par with the competition. Bond deserved so much more.
    I don't WANT my Bond on par with BIG Hollywood noise-makers. At least not most of them. YOLT, TSWLM & TND are fine, but we need more intimate movies with less reliance on heavy mindless action once in a while... just sayin'.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 2,189
    Goldfinger and Thunderball are quintessential Bond movies. If you think that TLD is even CLOSE to being on that same level, you should reassess your Bond fandom . . .
    Goldfinger and Thunderball are quintessential Bond movies. If you think that TLD is even CLOSE to being on that same level, you should reassess your Bond fandom . . .
    Umm, uh, well, I *THINK* I made it clear that they are different films on different levels, uh, didn't I?
    GF & TB are awesome, it's just that they are bigger movies, and I prefer more intimate, smaller Bonds like DN & LTK... I feel smaller is more 'Fleming', but feel free to disagree! I won't take offence. It's all opinions here.
    \m/
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    You should really stop judging people's tastes. We don't all think like you do. We each hold a different Bond movie to be a gold standard. I see GoldenEye as the best, others don't and I respect that. I don't tell people to reassess their fandom for liking a different film. Enough of this If you think Film A is better than Film B then your not a Bond fan. Everyone has unique tastes.
    Everyone is stating their opinion. And I'm not talking just big bang blockbusters btw I mean just in the quality of the production standards

Murdock wrote: »
    I see GoldenEye as the best
    I see it as the perfect third in the TLD/LTK/GE trilogy.
    :)>-
    "mcdonbb wrote:
    Everyone is stating their opinion. And I'm not talking just big bang blockbusters btw I mean just in the quality of the production standards

@mcdonbb, I'm curious. What did you not like about the production standards of TLD? It seemed on par with the last few Moore entries and was directed by the same team.

It's true that 'action' movies were going through a quantum change at that point (with Lethal Weapon & particularly Die Hard the following year upping the ante & changing the rules of the game), & that may have dated your perception of Bond in comparison (interestingly, a similar quantum shift occured during the Brosnan era with the Bourne Identity, and had a similar 'dating' impact on how Bond movies were perceived in comparison).

Was it that comparison with the contemporary movies of the day that made you feel it had inferior production values? Or was it just Dalton's more serious portrayal, and the shock effect vs. what we'd come to expect from Moore, who defined the role for so long? If so, I get that. Dalton was before his time.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited November 2014 Posts: 1,727

If we are going down that road, I suggest you reassess your knowledge of the early Bond films, as From Russia With Love can easily be considered more 'quintessential' & 'classic' than Thunderball.

And Goldfinger? Give me a break! That's the 'quintessential' lowest common-denominator 'best Bond'.

Be original. Buy an edge.

Hop on board for a full 15 rounds with AceHole b-(
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Can you still hear other peoples opinions from up there.

As far as I am concerned, The Living Daylights is a quintessential Bond film. It has all the elements of a Bond film, and in all the right measurements for me.
    TLD suffered due to its poor "villains" average looking Bondgirl and an actor that had to take over the role from a hugely popular Roger Moore, and when it came to charm Dalton just does never measure up to Roger Moore. Like Craig any new actor has a newby factor that gets the movie bums in the seats. But with LTK it showed that Dalton just did not register with the US audience, important in those days, as his whole BO was similar to Keatons Batman opening weekend.

While the story for TLD is actually quite good, a nice collection from Flemings various books, it does not measure up to the early Connery and the Moore great movies.

The music is brilliant and shows Barry going into a new direction with a more electronic feel which we had not heard before. Sadly the soundtrack is the last time we got a piece of work this brilliant connected to a Bondmovie, that in itself gives the movie a lot of extra which the modern movies seem to lack. I do enjoy listening the cd,.

Overal I would say that the US audience were right and I generally prefer to skip the Dalton years because with LTK the era took an even deeper nosedive with a story that was done better every week in the series Miami Vice that looked better and gave the feeling of a bigger budget. And as for Dalton he was a bigger miscast than Lazenby for me.

As for Quintessential I would go with DN, FRWL, GF, TB, OHMSS, TSWLM/MR, FYEO & CR.