Italy... again. Really??

AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
edited October 2014 in SPECTRE Posts: 1,727
Saw that Rome is one the locations list... although 007 hasn't been there on screen yet, haven't we had plenty of Italy during the Craig tenure?
So many great, cinematic European cities to choose from, but no, we go back to the boot of Europe. I think Barcelona, Lisbon, Porto, Budapest or Stockholm (to name but a few) would have been more original & should have been considered before another Italian city...

Comments

• dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Does it really matter? It's still a different city, no more unique to the Bond series than those cities you mentioned.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    THANK! YOU!

I thought I was the only one who's sick of Italy. QOS could have been called "From Italy with Love", we have already seen enough of Italy (which, let's face it, is not the best country in the world).
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    It's a conspiracy, guys! The Pope is behind this. The Illuminati rule Rome and...

Wait, no no no, I never said that. ;-)

Yeah, the Bond films like Italy but then it's a beautiful country with many possibilities. Still, I agree that there are other places on the Earth left, many of them in fact, that we haven't visited yet, beautiful places that could indeed compete with Italy.

I'm not 'angry' that this is where we go (again) in Bond 24, but maybe a different location wouldn't hurt?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    "Where's CraigBond?"

"He got The Boot. Again."

It's not a problem for me. I'm excited to finally see OO7 in Rome, and the other Italian locales we saw in CR/QOS all have their own unique look. Also, for all we know, Italy might only have minor screentime in B24, with the focus on Austria, Morocco or wherever else he ventures.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited October 2014 Posts: 1,727
    It doesn't 'anger' me either :> , just that my first thought when I saw that was "isn't it time for another country to get some of that 007-love now?"

Italy is indeed wonderfull with diverse locales, sure, but I do find it bizarre that a city such as Barcelona (with it's port, architecture, low-mountain backdrop it offers so many Bond-movie possibilities) has been overlooked ever since it's regeneration some 20 years ago...
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    QBranch wrote: »
    "Where's CraigBond?"

"He got The Boot. Again."

It's not a problem for me. I'm excited to finally see OO7 in Rome, and the other Italian locales we saw in CR/QOS all have their own unique look. Also, for all we know, Italy might only have minor screentime in B24, with the focus on Austria, Morocco or wherever else he ventures.

By the way - Austria.... Morocco .... echoes of TLD there...
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I'm with @QBranch pretty much on this. Personally, I love Italy and having scenes right in Rome will be awesome for me. Really happy it is in Italy, actually.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited November 2014 Posts: 17,797
    I too love Italy and its history and am glad to see it feature more prominently in the Bond films again. And especially Rome which has never featured in a Bond film before. And Ian Fleming's 'Risico' was set in Italy let's not forget. Perhaps that is even the title of Bond 24? Only time will tell on that score...
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Beats going to Sierra Leone and being quarantined in Syria for three weeks.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Hey @Kerim, long time no see! Don't tell me that happened to you :-/
    edited November 2014 Posts: 2,629
    No, had to travel a lot away from home for a bit for work. Nothing to do with any health scares though.

Besides, if I was quarantined, you'd all be seeing a lot more of me. :)
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    :-)) It's good to know you are alright!
    Sandy wrote: »
    :-)) It's good to know you are alright!

Indeed! :)
    I like Italy and certainly excited at the prospect of this car chase!
    I am all for Italy as a setting. Yes, it has been used more often during the Craig era, but it is a beautiful place.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 7,653
    As long as 007 stays away from Bunga Bunga parties I am fine with it.

And can we have a table in the background with Gina, Sophia & Claudia so that those three Italian beauties finally can be welcomed as Bond ladies as they should have been so long ago. :x
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Rome may be the capital of Italy, but it's almost a world of its own. Believe me when I say that Rome is more than the sum total of its buildings and famous art work. Rome is the perfect setting for a Bond film and it's a shame they never went there before.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Rome may be the capital of Italy, but it's almost a world of its own. Believe me when I say that Rome is more than the sum total of its buildings and famous art work. Rome is the perfect setting for a Bond film and it's a shame they never went there before.

I think often people forget that a country is not a monolithic block. England is not only London, or the monuments in London, France is not only Paris and Italy has many distinct parts.
    Here's an interesting tidbit:

USA:
    GF (Miami, Fort Knox)
    DAF (LAX, Las Vegas)
    LALD (New York, New Orleans)
    MR (LAX)
    AVTAK (San Francisco)
    LTK (Florida Keys)
    CR (Miami)

Italy
    FRWL (Venice)
    TSWLM (Sardinia)
    MR (Venice)
    FYEO (Cortina d'Ampezzo)
    CR (Venice, Lake Como)
    QOS (Siena)
    Bond 24 (Rome)

If this holds, Italy will tie the US for the most visited non-UK country.

Also, for those of you whom have issues with Italy being used in three of the last four films, Italy was previously used in three consecutive films (TSWLM, MR, FYEO).
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2014 Posts: 23,883
    I don't have a problem with Rome at all. At least it's a beautiful and an (to me at least) exotic location befitting of Bond.

I do have a problem with the USA for the very reason that it's not 'exotic' to me. Same with Canada. The same would apply to the UK, but it is Bond's home so we can forgive that one.

I agree with the suggestion that Barcelona should be considered, as it also is a beautiful city that has not been used before. Maybe in Bond 25?
  • Oh yes, Spain should absolutely feature in one of the future films.

As for Rome, well, Rome is an entirely different beast from what we've seen of Italy in the series. It's like suggesting SF shouldn't have been used in AVTAK because NY featured in L&LD. We're long overdue for Rome and I hope they really show off the city in Bond 24.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I second Spain for Bond 25.
  • Ludovico wrote: »

I think often people forget that a country is not a monolithic block. England is not only London, or the monuments in London, France is not only Paris and Italy has many distinct parts.

Still the point about Bond movies has always been living a fascinating life and going to Places usual folks don't. In this regard neither Italy and especially the UK (no matter what part from) qualifies.Before flying became cheap dirt generations of Europeans drove to Italy,Spain and Portugal during holidays.It is almost collective heritage. About the Uk - well,apart from those living in Asia and South America just about everybody lives in a country where foggy,rocky,harsh or hill laden countrysides are not to far away (mind you,those living in the south of Spain certainly have a longer way,than those residing in Germany. The mountains of the alps on the other hand are a complete different story. Doesn't matter how often you see them,they are awe inspiring every time.

Well said DD.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Agree, Rome should look fantastic.
    Matt_Helm wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »

Still the point about Bond movies has always been living a fascinating life and going to Places usual folks don't. In this regard neither Italy and especially the UK (no matter what part from) qualifies.Before flying became cheap dirt generations of Europeans drove to Italy,Spain and Portugal during holidays.It is almost collective heritage. About the Uk - well,apart from those living in Asia and South America just about everybody lives in a country where foggy,rocky,harsh or hill laden countrysides are not to far away (mind you,those living in the south of Spain certainly have a longer way,than those residing in Germany. The mountains of the alps on the other hand are a complete different story. Doesn't matter how often you see them,they are awe inspiring every time.

Not many parts of the world now are out of reach from usual folks, except Antartica, Groenland and some remote parts of Far East and Africa. Yes, now people can travel pretty much everywhere, traveling has been democratized. Conversely, shooting in some places instead of others can be prohibitively expensive.

IMO, what is important is to find a place with character and atmosphere, not merely that looks like a postcard picture. And I am all for using the UK in moderation. Fleming did in his novels, if only to stress its dreary and mundane aspect.
  • Ludovico wrote: »

A)Not many parts of the world now are out of reach from usual folks, except Antartica, Groenland and some remote parts of Far East and Africa.

B) And I am all for using the UK in moderation. Fleming did in his novels, if only to stress its dreary and mundane aspect.

A) And that's exactly where we should find James Bond. Leave the mundane places to the more down to earth spies.

B) And he made it a point to have Bond never let hang around there for long ( apart from MR of course). Actually,to my mind he used it for contrast purposes exclusively and so should Eon.
    Let's have the locations in North Korea, Hong Kong, Cuba and Iceland. What could possibly go wrong?

A)Not many parts of the world now are out of reach from usual folks, except Antartica, Groenland and some remote parts of Far East and Africa.

B) And I am all for using the UK in moderation. Fleming did in his novels, if only to stress its dreary and mundane aspect.

A) And that's exactly where we should find James Bond. Leave the mundane places to the more down to earth spies.

B) And he made it a point to have Bond never let hang around there for long ( apart from MR of course). Actually,to my mind he used it for contrast purposes exclusively and so should Eon.

Good, try to find the money and equipment to shoot Bond 25 in Antarctica. My point is: there are places where it is far more difficult to shoot, for various reasons. And there are not many places nowadays that are out of reach from the middle class person. I say find settings that are classy, atmospheric and that can have a geopolitical importance. Whether or not the average moviegoer can reach them should be secondary. I have been to Pinewood studios. I don't find it any less appealing on screen.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 7,500
    @Matt_Helm

So you are basically saying that modern Bond films should be filmed at the poles or the rooftop of K2? Well, to cite Daniel Craig; "good luck with that"...

Besides, using Fleming as an example is not very fitting. In the novels Bond spent most of his time outside the UK in generic French country side or Jamaica. Fleming would always use places he was himself familiar with. Pretty "mundane" stuff by your definition.

Which reminds me of... in relation to this thread: Visiting the same countries and locations over and over again is in fact very Flemingesque :)