Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited March 2012 Posts: 4,813
    If you really want to get a good look at him, watch 'Shame' :-))

*edit: found this hilarious pic:
    michael_fassbender__james_bond_by_trpbootan-d3ibwgo.jpg
    You know who could have made a great Bond- though it's definitely too late now:

Daniel Day-Lewis. Just wrap your head around that for a sec, considering his reputation as an actor. He's known for method acting to the extreme and changing himself physically if necessary- he always becomes the character he plays!
    Just for example, in 'The Boxer', he trained just like a real boxer would- and his trainer had said that 'if he wasn't doing this movie, he could go pro if he wanted to!' He would have been SCARY AWESOME as Bond!!
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited March 2012 Posts: 1,699
    Day-Lewis is such a good actor he could have probably played an intense Craig-like Bond in his sleep. He'd certainly have looked handsome and dangerous enough too.

But I suspect he'd have rather become... ooh, a cobbler than become Bond.

Oh no, wait a minute, he did become a cobbler, didn't he...? ;)
  • 

By the time who knows it might a compley new chap
  • This actor cannot play Bond now but in the 60's and 70's he would have been the PERFECT successor to Connery.

His name is Jorge Rivero, star of numerous "B" Mexican movies.

I can't figure out how to post his picture here - but you can just Google him and go to "images" and you can enter his name on youtube and watch several clips from the 60's and 70's (most of which are shirtless, but he looks great in a suit too. lol).

• St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited March 2012 Posts: 1,699
    hard2cumbi wrote:
    This actor cannot play Bond now but in the 60's and 70's he would have been the PERFECT successor to Connery.

His name is Jorge Rivero, star of numerous "B" Mexican movies.

I can't figure out how to post his picture here - but you can just Google him and go to "images" and you can enter his name on youtube and watch several clips from the 60's and 70's (most of which are shirtless, but he looks great in a suit too. lol).

I did a google search for 'Jorge Rivero' and up came this guy...

PDVD_005.BMP

Errrrmmm...

You said it was 'B-movies' he worked in, right...? ;)
  • I think Fassbender has the acting range to be superior to Craig and has the look to Bond that has been sought for YEARS. But I'm not so sure, Fassbender could almost be "too obvious" to be Bond.
  • Yes, most of Rivero's movies were what we would call "B" movies, as they were cheaply produced, light on writing and character development, and almost all of them featured him shirtless throughout most of the film.
    In actuality however, he was a very good actor and earned a role in "Rio Lobo," opposite John Wayne.
    He then went on to become a prominent producer and resident of Hollywood.
    Thanks so much for posting the pic - believe it or not - don't let the physique fool you - he's a bit older here. He was an incredibly handsome man in the late 1960s and 1970s and in his physical prime then (in his 30s) - known primarily for his sex appeal to both genders!!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Tom Hiddleston. He's 31 at the moment. Is an excellent actor. Put him in the gym nd BANG! He's Bond.

Tom-Hiddleston-014.jpg

tom-hiddleston19.jpg

Tom+Hiddleston+Brighton+Rock+European+Film+jNSEyVDp6j8l.jpg

tom+hiddleston+4.jpg

tumblr_m2cj5xhZDE1qdhkuro1_500.png
    He looks a lot like Fassbender. I'd need to see more of his acting, though. So far, I've only seen him in Thor.
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    @nbdelboy For now, i'm afraid they won't get any Black People into Bond world.

To repeat once again Bond should never be played by a black actor. It would be PC gone mad! It would be like a white guy playing John Shaft.

• edited April 2012 Posts: 774
    Tom Hiddleston has my vote. Terrific actor. And with regards to him hitting the gym, he put on around 20 pounds of muscle in an attempt to be Thor, only for Kenneth Branagh to cast him as Loki. So him getting buff for the role shouldn't be a problem. Tall, dark, handsome, women love him, a terrific actor, an interesting and apparently genuinely nice and funny person off screen. Maybe a little bit of a man crush. I want him to be Bond.

And if it comes down to Fassbender vs Hiddleston (evenly matched actors, in my opinion, only Fassbender has the larger body of work), Hiddleston is 1 and a half inches taller at 6'1 and a half.

Only problem might be that he could be too heavily associated with Loki in the Avengers. But the same could be said about Fassbender with regards to X-Men.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 135
    Quoting Benny from my post :To quote Bond and Q in DAD...
    "You should be able to get through that in a couple of hours."
    "Only took a few seconds Q."

Much like finding the topic regarding potential Bond actors.

A, I'm not Bond and B, your search doesn't work. Try that yourself. :-B

And talking about Christian Bale, no-one saw Daniel Craig as a potential Bond, or even Pierce Brosnan. Craig was directed terrifically in CR that's why people were blown up by his performance. Same can happen to Bale.
    @GermanLady too young, why not? Bond is portrayed as an early 30 something.

Christian_Bale_2.jpg

christian-bale-is-bruce-wayne-batman-in-the-dark-knight-rises.jpg
    I don't like Bale as Bond. Maybe it's just me. But he's just so serious. Even Dalton and Craig have lighter moments.
    As I said, it takes the director to get the actor to act.
    Idris Elbra.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Idris Elbra.

are you suicidal ? a post like this on here will start WW3 !!

• edited May 2012 Posts: 624
    Idris Elbra.
    Ian Fleming just turned over in his grave.

I think Christian Bale looks the part, and I can't say I'd complain if they chose him, but he's going to be typecast as Batman for the rest of his life. I really don't want to hear stupid jokes like Batbond or Bondman. He's going to be too old by the time Craig is done anyways.

I think Fassbender could do it very well, but he's going to be in his mid to late 40's by the time Craig gets out. Too old.

Henry Cavill is an inspiring choice. He's the right age to take over from Danny. I think right now he looks a little young, but in 5- 10 years or so he'll look like Bond.

But my favorite choice to take over Bond has to be Steve Buscemi.

Steve-Buscemi-steve-buscemi-1592858-365-500.jpg
    Sorry, I had to turn Fleming right side up after what @thelivingroyale said.
    .... I don't see it.

idris-elba-thor-premiere-thumb-400xauto-18683.jpg
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Idris Elbra.

are you suicidal ? a post like this on here will start WW3 !!

Probably, but I still think he would be a great Bond and I'll keep saying that.
    Idris Elbra.
    Ian Fleming just turned over in his grave.

Except Fleming didn't even like the way Connery looked. Plus, Bond was never meant to be a playboy, Bond was never meant to have blonde hair, Bond was never meant to have gadgets, etc. The character has changed tons, his personality and the way he looks, so the way I see it, if Bond can be blonde, if he can crack one liners every 5 seconds and go to space, then why the hell can't he be black?
    .... I don't see it.

idris-elba-thor-premiere-thumb-400xauto-18683.jpg

Give him a bit of a shave first. Plus, he's a great actor, he's awesome in the BBC series Luther

• edited May 2012 Posts: 5,745
    Uh Tom Hiddleston is my vote.

MV5BMTIyNzYxNjQ4MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMjY1MTc1._V1._SX214_CR0,0,214,314_.jpg
    tom+hiddleston+war+horse+eyebrows.jpg&sa=X&ei=7IepT9uzGYn-8ASQ9e3CAw&ved=0CAoQ8wc4Fw&usg=AFQjCNE9PDAd__7ehtGyBlBT2dTT2YBZAg
    tom-hiddleston-noises-off-press-night.jpg&sa=X&ei=8IepT7_iCo6e8gTry5D4Bw&ved=0CAkQ8wc4Mg&usg=AFQjCNGNr2jaTyZJlK3685z4zyyqx_RRVw
    Except Fleming didn't even like the way Connery looked. Plus, Bond was never meant to be a playboy, Bond was never meant to have blonde hair, Bond was never meant to have gadgets, etc. The character has changed tons, his personality and the way he looks, so the way I see it, if Bond can be blonde, if he can crack one liners every 5 seconds and go to space, then why the hell can't he be black

Because quite plainly, Bond isn't black. The look of James Bond hasn't changed much at all. Ian Fleming wrote Bond as a white British male of Scottish and Swiss ancestry. Idris Elbra is of Sierra Leonean and Ghanaian ancestry. He does not fit any description of Ian Fleming's Bond whatsoever. Bond has always (Connery through Craig) been a white British male. There is no need for political correctness in Bond films. It's not racism, it's just the way it is. Besides, Elbra is 39. Too old anyways.

Actually, since we've been discussing this, I've thought of some new movie ideas.

How about a new biographical pic about Martin Luther King? I'm thinking Matt Damon would be perfect.

...or a remake of Shaft? I'm thinking Jason Statham would be excellent.

When you start experimenting with characters, you lose the entire essence of who they are.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited May 2012 Posts: 11,139
    Topgear, your suggestions are more ludicrous than the idea of a black actor to play Bond. Yes, because Bond is as real as Martin Luthor King, if a black man gets cast to play Bond it only stands to reason it's fair for a White man to play King. Keep your infantile absurdities to yourself. FYI, the essence of who Bond is isn't resigned to his skin colour.
    Idris Elbra.

I actually wouldn't mind him as Bond.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Uh Tom Hiddleston is my vote.

MV5BMTIyNzYxNjQ4MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMjY1MTc1._V1._SX214_CR0,0,214,314_.jpg
    tom+hiddleston+war+horse+eyebrows.jpg&sa=X&ei=7IepT9uzGYn-8ASQ9e3CAw&ved=0CAoQ8wc4Fw&usg=AFQjCNE9PDAd__7ehtGyBlBT2dTT2YBZAg
    tom-hiddleston-noises-off-press-night.jpg&sa=X&ei=8IepT7_iCo6e8gTry5D4Bw&ved=0CAkQ8wc4Mg&usg=AFQjCNGNr2jaTyZJlK3685z4zyyqx_RRVw

Though Tom Hiddleston remains my favourite pick for Bond.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 624
    doubleoego wrote:
    Topgear, your suggestions are more ludicrous than the idea of a black actor to play Bond. Yes, because Bond is as real as Martin Luthor King, if a black man gets cast to play Bond it only stands to reason it's fair for a White man to play King. Keep your infantile absurdities to yourself. FYI, the essence of who Bond is isn't resigned to his skin colour.
    How is that infantile or absurd? I'm saying Bond isn't black. That's not the way Ian Fleming intended him to be. Doing anything to change that is just plain politically correct nonsense that has no place in a Bond film. MLK was my example because he is a significant figure to a lot of people. If they were to change anything about him for the sake of being different is just plain wrong. He was who he was and what he wasn't was a white man. Same thing with Bond, he is who he is, and who he is looks nothing like Idris Elbra.

I never said that the essence of Bond is that he is white. I said if you start changing anything about any character, you lose who they are. I don't want Bond to be American. I don't want to have a Cockney accent. I don't want Bond to wear a hoodie and sweatpants. I don't want Bond to be a female! I want Bond to be the same guy he has been for the past 50 years. I don't want any radical changes to the formula that makes Bond, Bond.

• This is like shooting fish in a barrell because it literally could be anyone! Knowing the UK media, there will probably be a campaign for David Beckham to be the next Bond with James Corden as Q. Hideous

Alex Pettyfer?

Dominic West would be an amazing Bond. Anyone who has seen The Wire will testify to what a magnificent actor he is
    This is like shooting fish in a barrell because it literally could be anyone! Knowing the UK media, there will probably be a campaign for David Beckham to be the next Bond with James Corden as Q. Hideous

Alex Pettyfer?

Dominic West would be an amazing Bond. Anyone who has seen The Wire will testify to what a magnificent actor he is

Pettyfer has only played a troubled teen and a stripper. I'm not convinced he can play a suave, sophisticated agent.

West definitely has some better acting chops, but imo doesn't look the part.
  • JWESTBROOK wrote:
    This is like shooting fish in a barrell because it literally could be anyone! Knowing the UK media, there will probably be a campaign for David Beckham to be the next Bond with James Corden as Q. Hideous

Alex Pettyfer?

Pettyfer has only played a troubled teen and a stripper. I'm not convinced he can play a suave, sophisticated agent.

West definitely has some better acting chops, but imo doesn't look the part.

Didn't Pettyfer play a spy already? I mean I'm trying to gaze into the crystal ball in about 20/25 years time where he looks older and has grown up. Moore-esque in appearance, perhaps? I don't know

Saw west play a child killer couple of months back and he was unbelievably creepy and nailed the part. Terrific acting. Can understand about the looks though...few years, he would make a good M though.
    Hasn't nobody mentioned Dougray Scott

I mean he really should of got the part earlier ideally, taken over from Brosnan perhaps, but I think he'd look the part, has the Scottish side of it, looks good in a tuxedo etc. I think age is against the actor now, Craig is actually younger I think, but they did consider him years back if memory serves but lost out, as so many actors do, for the immortal part of playing James Bond. Would of been something to see perhaps
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Except Fleming didn't even like the way Connery looked. Plus, Bond was never meant to be a playboy, Bond was never meant to have blonde hair, Bond was never meant to have gadgets, etc. The character has changed tons, his personality and the way he looks, so the way I see it, if Bond can be blonde, if he can crack one liners every 5 seconds and go to space, then why the hell can't he be black

Because quite plainly, Bond isn't black. The look of James Bond hasn't changed much at all. Ian Fleming wrote Bond as a white British male of Scottish and Swiss ancestry. Idris Elbra is of Sierra Leonean and Ghanaian ancestry. He does not fit any description of Ian Fleming's Bond whatsoever. Bond has always (Connery through Craig) been a white British male. There is no need for political correctness in Bond films. It's not racism, it's just the way it is. Besides, Elbra is 39. Too old anyways.

Actually, since we've been discussing this, I've thought of some new movie ideas.

How about a new biographical pic about Martin Luther King? I'm thinking Matt Damon would be perfect.

...or a remake of Shaft? I'm thinking Jason Statham would be excellent.

When you start experimenting with characters, you lose the entire essence of who they are.

MLK was a real person. Bond is a fictional character who has changed tons anyway. And with Shaft, he's never actually changed, he's never been played by someone else. Whereas Bond has been played by 6 different actors, all of them looking different and having different personalities, alot of the time they weren't close to the character Fleming wrote. Elbra is a great actor and looks young enough, so I don't see the problem of him debuting in his 40s once Craig leaves, didn't Moore, Brosnan and Dalton all make their first Bond film when they were over 40 anyway?

" Ian Fleming wrote Bond as a white British male of Scottish and Swiss ancestry"

He only became Scottish because of Sean Connery. And Fleming didn't even like the look of him at first.

I think West could do it.