The Flash (TV Series 2014– )

edited November 2014 in General Movies & TV Posts: 1,107
Discus the new tv series The Flash here !

After witnessing his mother's strange murder and his father's wrongful conviction for the crime, Barry Allen is taken in by Detective West and his family. Allen becomes a brilliant but socially awkward crime scene investigator for the Central City Police Department. His obsession with his tragic past causes him to become an outcast among his peers; he investigates cold cases, paranormal occurrences, and bleeding-edge scientific advancements that may shed light on his mother's murder. No one believes his description of the crime—that a ball of lightning with the face of a man invaded their home that night—and Allen is fiercely driven to vindicate himself and to clear his father's name. An advanced particle accelerator malfunctions during its public unveiling, bathing the city center with a previously unknown form of radiation during a severe thunderstorm. Allen is struck by lightning from the storm and doused with chemicals in his lab. After a nine-month coma, he discovers he has the ability to move at superhuman speeds. Harrison Wells, the disgraced designer of the failed accelerator, describes Barry's special nature as "metahuman"; Allen soon discovers that he is not the only one changed by the radiation. Allen vows to use his gifts to protect Central City from the escalating violence of metahuman criminals. He is aided by a few close friends and associates who guard his secrets.

maxresdefault.jpg

Comments

he is a fast dude, isn't he?

This show is supposed to bring back the fun in the superhero genre.

I liked the previous TV show with the Flash too, early on in the effects specialty for TV.

As the pilot has aired on the internet months ago I am curious how the next installments will be. Yesterday nothing new to see.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited October 2014 Posts: 4,416
    I expect this wil be on Dutch tv in January or February with the start of Arrow S3. I hope there show some flashbacks from Arrow episodes he whas in.
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    I like the pilot. Since reading him in the New 52, I've come to like Barry Allen and the Flash, and was really looking forward this show. I can't wait to see what they have in store for the rest of the season and their crossover with Arrow.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 4,813
    I watched it tonight on Hulu, a day late. I enjoyed it and it fits perfectly in the established CW Arrow universe. My only issue was this: that 5 minute trailer from a few months ago seriously showed everything you needed to see. It showed him get his red suit, and the nerdy test track suit, which would have been funny- and 90% of the Oliver Queen cameo. I mean- it even showed how Barry defeated the villain at the end!
    Thanks to that, there were few surprises unfortunately. If you haven't seen that 5 minute trailer then you should be good.

I did enjoy the final scene
    where wheelchair guy stands up and observes the newspaper from the future( I also liked the nod to Crisis in Infinite Earths)
    and of course, John Wesley Shipp-- I hope we see more of him!
    First Look: Reverse-Flash/Prof. Zoom Costume On Set; He's Fighting THE FLASH!
    Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=108943#WhMKxCqEs5uqmddu.99
    This is my favorite tv show right now the second episode was just awesome !
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Never, in a million years, did I think Harrison Wells would be a member of the Order of Assassins from Assassin's Creed. But then I practically cheered when he popped that hidden blade.
    Barry really reminds me of Garfields Peter Parker in this show. I feel like he has a lot of similar mannerisms and way of speaking. They also look quite a bit alike IMO
    New Featurette For THE FLASH Released; Shooting "Fastest Man Alive"
    Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=109513#U1gZHXvqtJOcEgQF.99
    Geoff Johns Talks 'Captain Cold', 'Gorilla Grodd', 'Reverse-Flash' And More In THE FLASH
    Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=109458#rHTIMoCoOdokGrcu.99
    Stephen Amell And Grant Gustin Tease Their ARROW/THE FLASH Crossover Fight Scene
    Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=109566#oSd4tIpzLq75JrIh.99
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    No offense, @Dalton12, but does this website pay you to advertise for them? You post so many things from them, and while most are good, I can't help but think keeping you off the payroll is their biggest mistake.
    No offense, @Dalton12, but does this website pay you to advertise for them? You post so many things from them, and while most are good, I can't help but think keeping you off the payroll is their biggest mistake.

Haha actually some of the people on that site are my best friends they write those articles but you are right they should pay me.
    Wells I am pretty confident is the Reverse Flash...he went back in time to kill Barry's mom but when he did it there was a time warp and it took his powers from him since it cut him off of the negative Speed Force because Barry hadn't become The Flash yet to make the regular Speed Force for Thawne to siphon off of yet....so he stays in the present and becomes a great scientist with his knowledge of future tech and tries to make sure Barry becomes The Flash so that he can become The Reverse Flash make the negative Speed Force and go back to his timeline. All of this was in The Flash movie script by Greg Berlanti and it seems like they're borrowing a lot from that here with this show so it wouldn't surprise me if it plays out here like it was supposed to in the movie but much slower and more drawn out because it's a TV show.
    That would be... Well... For once, it seems like it would be a closed-loop time paradox, which is always nice. Two, I can't see how murdering Simon Stagg would aid that, nor does that jive with the out'n'out hero worship he seemed to have for Barry last week.
    Awesome episode! Loved the train rescue scene, Wentworth Miller was great as Captain Cold, and always nice to see Felicity.

The Flash will return Nov 11th"??? NOOOOOOOOO!
    But the question I have is, if Wells knows certain things about the future, is he fighting to push it forward as planned, or trying to alter it?
    That's the big question of the season, I'm certain of that.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 1,107
    Oh and that train sequence from the new episode oh my lord, that was Phenomenal how many times have we seen scenes like that in the comics but to actually see it in live action fantastic. The episodes keep getting better and better.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 4,813
    They've gotten us on a path to thinking he's bad, but what if they're really faking us out, and he's actually future Barry Allen and it's revealed in the season finale that he's really been setting things up so they turn out right?

Or he's bad. But still Barry Allen.

The actor really resembles an older Grant Gustin

Most of all though, I really want to see THIS costume:

tumblr_nd3t9eswNS1qht9lao1_500.gif

It's RED, not practically brown like it is now, and he has the correct logo.
    I did read up on Reverse Flash, so to expand upon this...

1) Reverse Flash is from the future, and Wells has highly advanced knowledge of physics....

2) Reverse Flash idolized The Flash - so much so that he altered his appearance surgically to look more like Barry Allen.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 1,107
    There are more than one Reverse Flash :

Jay Garrick has The Rival. Originally Edward Clarris, a colleague of Jay's who believed he replicated the source of Jay's powers. Currently a cyborg with his powers that looks like him.

Barry Allen has Eobard Thawne, Professor Zoom. A man from the 25th Century who idolised, but now hates, the Flash. He is even powered by his own Negative Speed Force.

EDIT- Also, Barry now has Daniel West who did call himself Reverse Flash iirc.

Wally West has Hunter Zolomon, Zoom. A friend of Wally's, tried to use the Cosmic treadmill to go back in time, it backfires, and he is left with time based powers. He wants to make Wally a better hero.

Bart Allen has Thaddeus Thawne II, Inertia. A genetically engineered child, identical to Bart. Whereas Bart aged quickly, Tad aged slowly. Their feud stems from the centuries long Allen/Thawne rivalry.

Edit: Another Theory : Alhough the Wells goes back in time and kills Barry's mum but gets stuck in the past is a great one, to play devil's advocate, and since they're so set on having us look at Wells, I'm going to go out on a limb and say -

Reverse Flash/Zoom/ Barry's mum's murderer is Eddie Thawn.

They have us all focusing so much on Wells, Thawn has totally disappeared into the background. He could be pulling all the strings and watching things play out perfectly, and no one (in the TV show or us viewers) have caught on.

How does this explain Wells' actions? Well, I think Thawn travelled back from the future, told Wells certain things have to happen, in order to create this Flash character, all for the greater good. Wells looks like the big bad but I think he is just the puppet. Thawn is the puppeteer.

Alright I changed my mind and made this theory :

All righty, here's my elaborate (but probably wrong) theory on just who Harrison Wells really is. I'm more than convinced now that he is, in fact, an older, future version of Barry Allen. After all, I think it's more than coincidental that the actors playing Barry and Wells (Grant Gustin and Tom Cavanaugh respectively) have uncannily similar builds, but are both dark haired and blue eyed. Moreover, I believe Wells is the future Barry Allen from the original timeline. Why do I say that?

Because thanks to "the man in the lightning" killing Barry's mom, history has already changed.

I think the "backstory" for this show is as follows: in the original timeline, Barry Allen becomes the Flash as we've seen except for one crucial difference--his mother is still alive, which means Barry's dad never went to prison, just like the pre-Infinite Crisis comics. Also, in this timeline, Barry and Iris would go on to have a romantic relationship and get married, again just like the comics. However, ten years from now, Professor Zoom, in order to get revenge on Barry, killed Iris--which, by the way, was a classic storyline from the Silver Age Flash comics.

But Zoom wasn't done. Zoom goes back in time to change history by killing Barry's mom, and Barry, i.e. Future Flash, managed to chase after him to try on stop him, but couldn't save her. Notice how, in the pilot episode there are actually two streaks circling around Barry's mom? One of them is yellow, which is Professor Zoom, and the other is red, which is characteristic of Barry. This also explains why the young Barry was suddenly transported outside at super speed--Future Flash was forced to save his younger self at the cost of his mom. This also explains how the Flash, ten years from now, disappeared.

Knowing that history had now changed and that he couldn't go back to his original time, Future Flash decided to stay in the past in order to ensure that his younger self still became the Flash and set things right as much as he could. Using his knowledge of the future and scientific advancements, Future Flash changed his identity to Harrison Wells, founded STAR labs, recruited up and coming scientific talents like Caitlin and Cisco knowing they would provide an ideal support network, and built the particle accelerator knowing full well that the accident would result in his younger self gaining superpowers.

As to why Wells is willing to kill which doesn't at all seem like something Barry would ever do? Consider this: if Wells is indeed a future version of the Flash, then not only has he witnessed the murder of his wife, but also his mom, and his entire future. That would obviously unhinge even the most sane of people, and would also make someone go to extreme lengths to protect others, including himself.

Notice also that this theory fits in terms of the character's ages. Barry, as we know, is currently 25 years old. His mom was murdered when he was 11, i.e. 14 years ago. Future Flash, ten years from now when he disappeared, would be 35. If Future Flash went back in time 14 years ago from 2024 to 2000 and stayed in the past, aging normally, then today, Future Flash would be around 50--which is the same age as the actor playing Harrison Wells.

As for Professor Zoom, that's clearly Eddie Thawne (again, just like the comics), and I believe his joining the Central City police force and dating Iris is purely calculated. Why? Again, his getting Iris to fall in love with him is yet another way to get revenge on Barry and to alter his future without erasing Barry from history and thus jeopardizing his own existence. Yeah, Eddie seems like a nice guy, but superficially so--just enough to convince audiences that, while a rival for Iris' affections, he's doesn't seem like such a bad guy, even to Barry.

Not sure if I agree, but I think it's certainly possible. I'm still going with Wells as Professor Zoom, because he won't exist without Barry either - but the future evil Barry theory is a pretty good one. The original Reverse Flash looked a lot like Barry as well - by design.

Still as theories go it's highly plausible, and if you turn out to be correct I will sing your praises (so to speak). I guess the question is, could Barry become that twisted, so as to kill in cold blood to protect his future/past self ? I remember the classic murder of Iris story, and the subsequent trial of the Flash, it was a good one. Maybe the real story in the TV show is a variant on that of some kind ?
    Am I the only one who also thinks Barry was in that lightning? That he saved his past self?
    Am I the only one who also thinks Barry was in that lightning? That he saved his past self?

Reverse Flash is going to be in mid season finale so we will likely find out . We will probably now if Wells is Reverse Flash or Barry from the future or maybe he is something completely different.
    I think the Reverse Flash was in the lightning, too (or, hell, maybe Professor Zoom, even), but I think he and Barry were fighting, sped through time, Barry recognized his own home when they did, rescued himself, and failed to rescue his mother.
  • Perhaps this: Eddie is the Reverse Flash-- but it's before he gets the surgery to look like Barry. Wells is also the Reverse Flash, now older and from the future. So they are the same person existing in the same time
    Perhaps this: Eddie is the Reverse Flash-- but it's before he gets the surgery to look like Barry. Wells is also the Reverse Flash, now older and from the future. So they are the same person existing in the same time

We'll have to wait and see :) I have so many theories now that my head hurts.

Check Out The Awesome Final Scene From This Week's Episode Of THE FLASH
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=110279