Dynamite's Bond comics and graphic novels

Comments

Well, about the Kraken thing... Still, Hammerhead remains an interesting read.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Gettler wrote: »
    I've always known. I've always known.

Still, I thoroughly enjoyed the issue. Apart from some dramatic change into a classic character which I detest, the issue didn't disappoint me, and neither did its predecessors. I just hope it won't end with a disappointing conclusion like Eidolon did.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited January 2017 Posts: 5,185
    Gettler wrote: »
    I've always known. I've always known.

Still, I thoroughly enjoyed the issue. Apart from some dramatic change into a classic character which I detest, the issue didn't disappoint me, and neither did its predecessors. I just hope it won't end with a disappointing conclusion like Eidolon did.

yeah i agree.
    of course we've all seen that twist coming from miles away :D but other than that Bond is Bond and thats the one thing that Diggle gets perfectly right. i can't get enough of his Bond. Seeing him sneek around in full tactical gear, infiltrating that ship is all i needed for this month...
    i was a bit distracted by M and Moneypenny being in the crossfire again and all that but.... it's a minor gripe really. I guess Diggle was looking for characters that Bond would actually care about if taken hostage, and there aren't that many of those running around.
    Actually the cliffhanger was quite good, it made me very curious for how the story will continue
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I haven't read #4 yet but the previews and reviews I've read i believe. .
    ...I can look past the obvious hook and just enjoy the story. And I really am enjoying the story.

...I thought I read in a Masters tweet that Diggle is working on another Bond adventure. So we might have another extra adventure outside Benjamin's efforts this year.

Anybody else hear that?
    mcdonbb wrote: »

...I thought I read in a Masters tweet that Diggle is working on another Bond adventure. So we might have another extra adventure outside Benjamin's efforts this year.

Anybody else hear that?

Thanks for the hint. I checked Masters Twitter and he really did say there will be a second Diggle Bond story after Hammerhead. So i guess that one could be released as soon as Felix Leiter is finished and Start in july for example.
    That means good news!
    edited January 2017 Posts: 5,185
    here's the tweet btw:

Oh and i just noticed that Diggle confirmed it himself in the comments....
    The lastest Hammerhead was an enjoyable, if not predictable read. It confirmed all of our suspicions about Kraken, which we've had since issue 1. Would have hoped for a less obvious reveal.
    Looking forward to issue 5 regardless.
    I was thinking it would have been the minister had it played the "predictable" card too obviously on purpose. But, it did confirm our suspicion.
    Bond's interactions with the Fox reminded me a lot of Columbo in FYEO.
    Agreed, which is why I'm loving that character. His raid on the ship was similar to that of the one in For Your Eyes Only. There's a "friend in debt" dialogue as well that reminds me of Kerim Bey all too directly, so to state. But, I don't quite know why did the Fox made that claim.
    yes i really like that character too. he is the classic sophisticated and charming Bond Ally. Diggle is hitting all the right Bond Boxes
    Despite the predictability I am still looking forward to reading #4 hopefully this weekend. There's enough panache plus Diggle's version of Bond that saves this miniseries.

I don't think we are going to be burned by the final issue like some of us felt we were with previous series.
    I sincerely hope so.

I hope along with Diggle, Casalanguida also returns. I don't want Masters back. First he played it too safe, and gave every male character tight pants. :))
    I sincerely hope so.

I hope along with Diggle, Casalanguida also returns. I don't want Masters back. First he played it too safe, and gave every male character tight pants. :))

:))
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Casalanguida is definitely superior to Masters, just going by his panel construction and figures. The way he draws also feels more effective and impactful, giving real drama to the page by how he composes an image. I think Masters' colorists let him down, as the pages can look so boring.

The person they have gotten for Black Box, however, looks to be the best yet. Exciting times.
    Casalanguida is definitely superior to Masters, just going by his panel construction and figures. The way he draws also feels more effective and impactful, giving real drama to the page by how he composes an image. I think Masters' colorists let him down, as the pages can look so boring.

The person they have gotten for Black Box, however, looks to be the best yet. Exciting times.

I agree. For me the comics have gone past just filling the gap left by film series.
    I still personally prefer the team of Casalanguida and his colourist, Chris Blythe for the art. Just look at this image.
    KQ2olr7.jpg

It's brilliant beyond imagination.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Yes, the more textured coloring in Hammerhead is very effective. It makes it more stylish and "comic-booky" if that makes any sense. Its style gives it a more potent identity than the Ellis/Masters run as well, that looks very professional, bringing Bond to the production level of a Batman comic, for example.

If I had to purchase a collection of issues I'd select the former over the latter seven days a week and twice on Sunday. I also hear that the characterization of Bond in Diggle's work is superior, as I haven't liked what I've seen from Ellis'. I don't think Ellis' Bond spends as much time fretting about his contract killing as Fleming's would do.
    That's exactly why I posted that one image for you, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, it's because it felt very much Batman and I loved it just because of that. The thing is, I would post more, but I'm afraid we still have chaps here who would like to read it, still. And by the way, Braders, start picking up Felix Leiter, too. There's no reason why shouldn't you love it, really. Its art is so much like Metal Gear Solid, and Felix feels like a mixture of Solid Snake and John Constantine in appearance, with the personality akin to Phillip Marlowe.

And I agree with you about Ellis. He made Bond a trigger-happy sociopath it wasn't him anymore. In fact, I didn't know if I were reading a combination of 24 and MI5 (or Spooks). Diggle's characterization of Bond is very Brosnan-esque and I love it especially for that reason. Just more capable of being lethal than Brozzer, though.
    I agree with you both even though I enjoyed Vargr and most of Eidolon.
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    I agree with you both even though I enjoyed Vargr and most of Eidolon.
    Ditto.
    I haven't purchased the hard copy and now I might wait for the hard cover but I just purchased a digital copy.

Ok...
    ...I enjoyed this issue. I kinda ruined the impact reading too many previews but as a more steady paced pivotal point in the story I enjoyed it. Very atmospheric in many ways as Vivian's demeanor and appearance via shading shifts to a more shadowy figure. Hunt and Electra must have surely met and exchanged notes at some previous socialite function. Who knows? Hard for me to get past that to truly enjoy this story on its own. Hammerhead has become more of a "Best of Bond". Not unwelcome or unenjoyable but ultimately reliving all Bond's greatest hits ....just not the new "album".
    i noticed something interesting on the Dynamite website.
    Black Box #1 has opened a new category which is "James Bond Vol. 2"
    So my guess is that Percy gets to stick around for at least two consecutive books like Ellis did, or maybe more.
    Just a reminder to everyone:

Hammerhead #5 - February 15
    Felix Leiter #2 - February 08
    Just a reminder to everyone:

Hammerhead #5 - February 15
    Felix Leiter #2 - February 08

Thanks my friend
    also in the next two month we will have a Bond comic every two weeks, which is great.

If you count Leiter then three in March. Black Box #1 Hammerhead #6 and Leiter #3. Right?
    yes, BlackBox on the 1st, Leiter on the 15th and Hammerhead on the 29th.
    On top of that the Hardcover of Eidolon comes out on the 14th.
    March will be awesome
    Thanks, @00Agent. :)

And sorry I haven't been more productive recently, chaps. Still without a computer (ordering a new laptop later today).