Anthony Horowitz's James Bond novel - Trigger Mortis

edited May 2015 in Literary 007 Posts: 9,730
Ian Fleming Publications Ltd. and the Ian Fleming Estate are delighted to announce that bestselling and award-winning author Anthony Horowitz has been invited to write the next James Bond novel, due for worldwide release on 8th September 2015.

Horowitz is one of the UK’s most successful authors and has over forty books to his name including his recent Sherlock Holmes novel, The House of Silk, and his enormously successful teen spy series featuring Alex Rider. As a TV screenwriter he created both Midsomer Murders and the BAFTA-winning Foyle’s War, and is looking forward to taking on his next project:

‘It’s no secret that Ian Fleming’s extraordinary character has had a profound influence on my life, so when the Estate approached me to write a new James Bond novel how could I possibly refuse? It’s a huge challenge but having original, unpublished material by Fleming has been an inspiration. This is a book I had to write.’

Set in the 1950s, Horowitz’s story will be unique among the modern James Bond novels, in that a section will contain previously unseen material written by Ian Fleming. Fleming’s great niece, Jessie Grimond explains:

‘In the 1950s Ian Fleming wrote several episode treatments for a James Bond television series. But it never came to be made and he ended up turning most of the plots into the short stories that are now in the collections For Your Eyes Only and Octopussy and The Living Daylights. However, there are a few plot outlines which he never used and which, till now, have never been published, or aired. Given that Anthony is as brilliant a screenwriter as he is a novelist, we thought it would be exciting to see what he would do with one of them.’

The treatment which will act as a starting point for Anthony Horowitz’s Bond novel is titled Murder on Wheels, and follows Bond on a mission in the world of motor racing. Set at the Nurburgring in Germany, Murder on Wheels would have seen 007 thwart a Russian plot to cause racing legend Stirling Moss to crash.

The novel will be published in the UK and Commonwealth by Orion Publishing Group and simultaneously by HarperCollins Publishers in USA & Canada.

http://www.ianfleming.com/anthony-horowitz-to-write-new-james-bond-novel/

yeah this is offical and I am conflicted

Comments

• Campbell2Campbell2 Epsilon Rho Rho house, Bending State University
    Now THAT is news! Thanks for sharing, Risico007! I wonder if the Fleming segment will be pointed out. Haven't read Horowitz until now.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Brilliant. I've been calling for this for yonks. There is no better candidate in my view; he even said in an interview that he really wanted the Bond continuation gig!
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 4,622
    This is top notch news!

Fleming’s great niece, Jessie Grimond explains:

‘In the 1950s Ian Fleming wrote several episode treatments for a James Bond television series. But it never came to be made and he ended up turning most of the plots into the short stories that are now in the collections For Your Eyes Only and Octopussy and The Living Daylights. However, there are a few plot outlines which he never used and which, till now, have never been published, or aired. Given that Anthony is as brilliant a screenwriter as he is a novelist, we thought it would be exciting to see what he would do with one of them.’

The treatment which will act as a starting point for Anthony Horowitz’s Bond novel is titled Murder on Wheels, and follows Bond on a mission in the world of motor racing.
    - See more at: http://www.ianfleming.com/anthony-horowitz-to-write-new-james-bond-novel/#sthash.nP6KsQy1.dpuf

I was hoping we might be done with the period pieces but we can make an exception for this - fleshing out an original Fleming story set in the '50s. I hope we get some sense of where the story might fit vis-a-vis the other books.
    IIRC, Fleming had also originally intended DN as as TV story and then adapted it to novel format, when the TV opportunity fell through, so we might be looking at something set between DN and GF or immediately post GF or possible between FRWL and DN.
    Yes, the news just gets better once on reads the announcement in full!
    I would recommend reading the announcment in full. It's a good piece. That's just a snippet above.
    A few points

First the Positives
    1. A lot people here whom I Trust have wanted Horrowitz
    2. The world of Racing is intriguing and sounds already much more cohesive then Solo so I am happy
    3. Finishing a Fleming story is also kind of cool

now the negatives
    1. the 50's really I mean how many times do I have to say this Fleming never meant to make bond a period peice in fact he once told Cubby and Harry "Make it relevant to the time make it interesting and make it exciting" Why is IFP insistant on period peices.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Seriously I am very pleased!! :)
    Risico007 wrote: »

1. the 50's really I mean how many times do I have to say this Fleming never meant to make bond a period peice in fact he once told Cubby and Harry "Make it relevant to the time make it interesting and make it exciting" Why is IFP insistant on period peices.
    I agree. I don't want period pieces either, but again, I think this works because they are fleshing out an original Fleming story.
    Otherwise, no, I would prefer new contemporary post-Fleming Bond adventures in the Amis, Pearson, Gardner, Benson, even Deaver tradition.
    What's nice also, is that IFP isn't going to simply feed us a steady diet of Young Bond. We get normal Bond too.

• Cool news. I'm glad we're getting a new continuation novel. Not entirely sure how I feel about a period piece (it could be really well done), but the idea of incorporating unpublished Fleming has me really excited. Hopefully it's executed well. I've never read Horowitz before, but if he has other Bond fans excited, that's good enough for me.
    Horowitz is praised for his Sherlock Holmes continuation work, so that probably worked in his favour with IFP.
  • 007InVT007InVT Classified
    A great choice. He knows his SOE too which could be helpful for backstory. Quite an honor to helm both a Holmes and Bond novel!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Exactly, @timmer. I think he should do a really good job. At least I'm more optimistic now than for the last few authors.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 2,594
    Well, it appears the Fleming Estate have listened to the fans or maybe they were always trying to get Horowitz for adult Bond. I like how he'll be fleshing out a Fleming short story. I'm all for period pieces but I don't mind contemporary settings either, as long as they are obviously well written books and the author remains faithful to the character of Bond (which Deaver didn't do!) with the exception of the chauvinism as long as there aren't any comments that suggest that Bond has become the exact opposite.

I guess if AH can't write a good adult Bond novel then it'll be time to give up hope. I still don't want to get my hopes up too much. I wonder if the original writings of Fleming will be included in this book. I hope so. I had never heard of this unfinished short story. Sounds good. If AH writes a good book, it would be wonderful if he is contracted to write more. This would provide new hope for the literary world of 007. I'm sick of just one off books but then again we've never had a decent adult Bond novel since the Gardner era so I wouldn't have wanted Faulks and the rest of them to write more than one anyway, with the exception of Boyd if he would have weaved a decent tale the second time around.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    James Bond meets Foyles War and goes to the Grand Prix !
    This could have quite a lot going for it
    But as always we shal have to wait and see.
  • Er ... absolutely delighted that the Fleming Estate has commissioned master storyteller Anthony Horowitz to write the next Bond novel and that his starting point will be an undeveloped short story by Fleming himself, 'Murder on Wheels', which sees Bond on a mission against the Russian at the Nürburgring racing circuit in Germany. However, am I not right in believing that a plotline with Bond in a 'duel to the death' with SPECTRE on a racing circuit (?in America) has already been used to great effect by another master storyteller, John Gardner? For the life of me, though, I cannot recall in which of his several Bond novels this appears - but doubtless someone out there will tell me!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    This could be the one that actually works. I like the idea of motor racing, the 50's and some unseen Fleming being used.
    Good news. Loook forward to reading the unused fleming
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    For once I'm excited about a continuation novel!
    Er ... absolutely delighted that the Fleming Estate has commissioned master storyteller Anthony Horowitz to write the next Bond novel and that his starting point will be an undeveloped short story by Fleming himself, 'Murder on Wheels', which sees Bond on a mission against the Russian at the Nürburgring racing circuit in Germany. However, am I not right in believing that a plotline with Bond in a 'duel to the death' with SPECTRE on a racing circuit (?in America) has already been used to great effect by another master storyteller, John Gardner? For the life of me, though, I cannot recall in which of his several Bond novels this appears - but doubtless someone out there will tell me!

The book you're referring to is 'For Special Services'. My favourite Gardner Bond book.
  • Maybe the baddie could be a short billionaire with a silly haircut called Bernie. Oh wait...
    Bounine wrote: »
    Er ... absolutely delighted that the Fleming Estate has commissioned master storyteller Anthony Horowitz to write the next Bond novel and that his starting point will be an undeveloped short story by Fleming himself, 'Murder on Wheels', which sees Bond on a mission against the Russian at the Nürburgring racing circuit in Germany. However, am I not right in believing that a plotline with Bond in a 'duel to the death' with SPECTRE on a racing circuit (?in America) has already been used to great effect by another master storyteller, John Gardner? For the life of me, though, I cannot recall in which of his several Bond novels this appears - but doubtless someone out there will tell me!

The book you're referring to is 'For Special Services'. My favourite Gardner Bond book.

Yes, that immediately sprung to mind for me too. Hopefully the 1950s period detail will set it apart. Interesting connection with an earlier and great Bond continuation author, though.
    Any suggestions where to start reading Horowitz if you want to get a taste? I'm no Holmes fan though.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Campbell2 wrote: »
    Any suggestions where to start reading Horowitz if you want to get a taste? I'm no Holmes fan though.
    How about the Alex Rider books? Apparently, he was hugely inspired by Fleming when writing those novels (in fact, the titular character is named after Honeychile Rider).

I haven't read them myself (although I will give them a try once I've finished the other twenty-thirty books I have on my pile), but I've heard that they're really good.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Using some unpublished Fleming material? Maybe this one won't be pants, like the last 3 books were.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Walecs wrote: »
    How about the Alex Rider books? Apparently, he was hugely inspired by Fleming when writing those novels (in fact, the titular character is named after Honeychile Rider).

There's a baddie named Bill Tanner in one of them, too. Alex Rider was Young Bond before Young Bond existed.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I wish was contemporary not another classic timeline. I think that and author misfires are severely hurting the literary Bond.

I just think general audiences including me would prefer present day. Fleming himself did. Just technology alone what ya going to do?

Glad in choice if author and storyline maybe but booo to another timeline adventure.
    Like the previous ones it will be pre-ordered.

I am worried that now that AH gets the gig he just might not live up to the faith put in him.
    Walecs wrote: »

I haven't read them myself (although I will give them a try once I've finished the other twenty-thirty books I have on my pile), but I've heard that they're really good.

In fact I circled around them a few times at the bookseller's when they had them on display. Was reluctant to buy one or two though. I suppose now is the time to change that.
  • What absolutely fabulous news!
    After all their Kamakazee missions, IFP have at last got the message and I for one am completely delighted. Furthermore, I have total faith.
    The fabulous thing about Horrowitz is that he has the talent without the literati ego of a Faulks or a Boyd. Furthermore with his Holmes works (there is a new one soon), he has shown what he can do with an iconic character. Furthermore, I always loved Foyle.
    Regarding the period, I favour completely the period approach. In my opinion literary Bond would lack any relevance in a modern setting. The spy world has moved on and I don't think that Fleming's core attributes carry credence in modern times.
    Villiers53 wrote: »
    In my opinion literary Bond would lack any relevance in a modern setting. The spy world has moved on and I don't think that Fleming's core attributes carry credence in modern times.
    I like the period piece, only because we are working with an actual Fleming story, or story outline, conceived back in the day at the height of Fleming Bond.
    But I do think Bond is a timeless character. A man of his integrity, talents, courage, loyalty and style, personal quirks and indulgences - those attributes can be adopted to any period.
    He may not smoke as much or even at all. He could certainly booze like a champ though. Hard drinking men have always existed.
    Womanizing is a timless pursuit. And if Fleming were writing today, there are no shortage of contemporary attitudes, that Fleming might relate to, that he could infuse his Bond with.
    One trick to writing the modern Bond I think, would be to put a man of Fleming's tendencies in the current context, and go from there.
    Bond could be just as ruthless, just as efficient, just as glib, and with knowledge of weaponry and tradecraft, as would befit a "now" 00 agent.
    The world is always a violent place. There is always need for blunt instrument of Bond's skills.