The Next American President Thread (2016)

Comments

• chrisisall wrote: »
    jobo wrote: »
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Who knows, how much they got paid. Its not, that I doubt, there are real protestors, but imagine, you just lost this - you would try to play out exactly a thing like this.

@-) ^#(^
    Oh c'mon, she's just playing with us. She's doing conspiracy theory nut to get us going is all.
    :))

And Trump was just "playing" a brainless racist on TV. Any day now the real DT will emerge to lead us all to a land of unicorns and brand new jobs in defunct industries.

Lots of folks covered this song, written by Dino Valenti using the nom de plume of "Chet Powers." The Youngbloods' version is probably the best known, so here it is -- "Get Together" -- hippie utopian visions at their finest.

• edited November 2016 Posts: 4,622
    Jimmy Kimmel

"Last night Donald Trump reached out and grabbed America by the.....Virginia."

"Hillary underperformed among women, African-Americans, Hispanics, and young voters. Really the only place she did really well was among pollsters"

Jimmy Fallon

"After the results came in , Donald Trump gave a big victory speech. He said he couldn't have done it without the love of his life, his rock, his better half....FBI Director James Comey"

:)) har har har
  • timmer wrote: »
    :D har har har

You make your choices: learn to laugh or you can only cry.

Godley & Creme, "Cry":

• edited November 2016 Posts: 3,564
    I sang this song twice in different settings today...but didn't know of this SNL opening last night, and only learned of it tonight when I broke my self-imposed internet hiatus. @Gustav, where you been? I depend on you for this kind of info! I don't usually watch much late night TV, if I'm still awake after 11 PM I'm doing something more interesting than watching TV. But here's SNL's version of Hillary singing a song that I posted somebody else singing a few days ago. I didn't post the full lyrics then but I will now. Hallelujah, written by the late great Richard Cohen, performed by Kate McKinnon in her recurring SNL role as Hillary Clinton.

Now I've heard there was a secret chord
    That David played, and it pleased the Lord
    But you don't really care for music, do you?
    It goes like this
    The fourth, the fifth
    The minor fall, the major lift
    The baffled king composing Hallelujah
    Hallelujah
    Hallelujah
    Hallelujah
    Hallelujah

Your faith was strong but you needed proof
    You saw her bathing on the roof
    Her beauty and the moonlight overthrew her
    She tied you
    To a kitchen chair
    She broke your throne, and she cut your hair
    And from your lips she drew the Hallelujah
    Hallelujah (etc.)

You say I took the name in vain
    I don't even know the name
    But if I did, well really, what's it to you?
    There's a blaze of light
    In every word
    It doesn't matter which you heard
    The holy or the broken Hallelujah
    Hallelujah (etc)

I did my best, it wasn't much
    I couldn't feel, so I tried to touch
    I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool you
    And even though
    It all went wrong
    I'll stand before the Lord of Song
    With nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah
    Hallelujah, (etc.)

(BSE here again -- I'll come back with a Leon Russell song later on. He just died today too. We're losing a lot of great ones this year. "Don't you remember you told me you loved me, baby? When are you coming back this way again, baby?")
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    wrote: »
    chrisisall wrote: »
    jobo wrote: »
    Who knows, how much they got paid. Its not, that I doubt, there are real protestors, but imagine, you just lost this - you would try to play out exactly a thing like this.

@-) ^#(^
    Oh c'mon, she's just playing with us. She's doing conspiracy theory nut to get us going is all.
    :))

And Trump was just "playing" a brainless racist on TV. Any day now the real DT will emerge to lead us all to a land of unicorns and brand new jobs in defunct industries.

Lots of folks covered this song, written by Dino Valenti using the nom de plume of "Chet Powers." The Youngbloods' version is probably the best known, so here it is -- "Get Together" -- hippie utopian visions at their finest.

@BeatlesSansEarmuffs, I love that song. The hippie movement turned into the Democratic Party at some point, didn t it?
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 3,564
    Not really. Plenty of us dropped out for good, went up to the country & just plain fell of the grid. Others went for the paycheck & turned into Republicans. I was thinking of throwing down some Canned Heat with "Going Up The Country" but I did promise you all a dose of Leon Russell, so this seems more appropriate right now -- "A Song For You."

And just for a dash of heartbreak here's the Carpenters with a Leon Russell composition, "Superstar." I don't think Karen Carpenter ever knew how many young boys would count her as their first crush. All she wanted to be was a drummer, but God what a voice. She was an early loss due to anorexia, back there in the '70s when the hippie movement was splintering into a million directions. Rest in Peace, Karen...and Leon... and so many more...

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I posted Going Up the Country a little while ago, on another thread. The youtube thread, I think.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    There's something happening here...
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited November 2016 Posts: 4,554
    Blofeld is not impressed:

Translated here:

http://crooksandliars.com/cltv/2016/11/christoph-walz-warns-about
    That's Greek to me.
  • File it under: Trump can't possibly be a fascist, nope, no way: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-to-hitler-comparison-teacher-suspended_us_58286a2be4b060adb56edd4e

Just for you, @chris -- "For What It's Worth"

File it under: Trump can't possibly be a fascist, nope, no way: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-to-hitler-comparison-teacher-suspended_us_58286a2be4b060adb56edd4e

Just for you, @chris -- "For What It's Worth"

Hitler no but Mussolini absolutely.

Of course, i was not kidding, when i said, its organized. Also therfe are way less people protesting, then they pics make us believe.
    Here is one article. Of course, they cannot just let it happen. They will fight it and try to change it till January. The more I see of him, the more he wow's me. Vaccination being the last topic attacked. Wonderful.

https://southfront.org/soros-sponsored-groups-is-core-of-anti-trump-protests/
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 4,622
    Of course, i was not kidding, when i said, its organized. Al upso therfe are way less people protesting, then they pics make us believe.
    Here is one article. Of course, they cannot just let it happen. They will fight it and try to change it till January. The more I see of him, the more he wow's me. Vaccination being the last topic attacked. Wonderful.

https://southfront.org/soros-sponsored-groups-is-core-of-anti-trump-protests/
    That's a great article @GL. One party democracy indeed.
    This bit below has become rather apparent.

==

"It’s an election where they had all of the media, power and money and yet they’ve lost to him,” Gasic told the RT information website. “It’s a toss-up now between the Clinton-Soros view that the only democracy allowed is a one party democracy that agrees with what they say and if that doesn’t happen they are ready to do a counter-revolution to destroy that democracy and that democratic vote.”

• Welcome to Trump's America. Just saying "Stop it" on 60 Minutes isn't going to be enough. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/a-male-trump-supporter-punched-a-woman-eating-dinner-in-the-face_us_582b2c86e4b060adb5704c25
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    While it is a bit more complex than first thought, it is worth posting for perspective:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2156907/us-riot-teenagers-beat-donald-trump-voter/

And they're Clinton supporters? Remind me again, who are supposed to be the deplorables?
    And you believe the Sun ?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited November 2016 Posts: 13,894
    Gerard wrote: »
    And you believe the Sun ?

No, but I believe the clip when I hit 'play'.

"You voted Trump, you voted Trump. DAYYYYYYYYMMMMMMM you voted Trump"
    "Beat his ass"
    "Dumbo Trump... Dumbo Trump"
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 11,119
    What can I say @BeatlesSansEarmuffs :-). The kind of political ethics and beliefs I am adhering to, become more and more a 'minority scream' :-).

I accept Trump as president. I hope we can at least strike a more unifying tone. It's sad that some Trump supporters can't start a more positive tone. Mr Trump is democratically elected. Let's now focus on what he will do, how he will do it, and if he really becomes a president for all Americans....not just for 47% of the electorate.

I still am very much worried. But there's not much I can do. Obama's campaigns were way more positive-spirited than what I am still reading in here.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited November 2016 Posts: 2,721
    Trump won't hold up many of his election promises...

He won't 'Build A Wall'
    He won't 'Lock up Hillary Clinton'
    and most damningly he won't 'drain the swamp' of Washington. That will be impossible. Congress will not allow itself to be gutted like that.

Trump won the election fair and square - now watch the Republican establishment insulate itself from criticism, reduction or change.

And the 'working class' who voted for him (obviously 11 per cent less than voted for Clinton) will not see any significant change.

You want change to a corrupt system that offers unfair advantages to rich, entitled people who dodge taxes and farm out jobs to cheap labour? Maybe don't elect a rich, entitled person who dodges taxes and farms out jobs to cheap labour.

And for people who say 'get behind him - maybe he'll succeed'. Succeed in policies they disagree with and behaviour they find abhorrent? Why should they? Banning Muslims from traveling? Deporting 2 Million people? Locking up the person they voted for? Promoting a climate changer denier to the head of the EPA transition team?

The only one most of his opposition could get behind is his 'drain the swamp' of Washington and I expect to see a 100 foot high wall across the southern border before that happens.

The election was rigged alright. And we're not going to let it stand. No music for you today, GL, hope it makes you happy...

If it was rigged? By whom? Because those, who could have done it, lost!!!! and yes, it does.

The election was rigged alright. And we're not going to let it stand. No music for you today, GL, hope it makes you happy...

If it was rigged? By whom? Because those, who could have done it, lost!!!! and yes, it does.

GL, you are a very nice German lady indeed, but you understand practically nothing about Trump or the political machinations of my country's government (much like the majority of our own populace). Which is odd in that I've found that usually folks from your neck of the woods understand it all better than WE do. :))
    May I join you on Fantasy Island? It seems pleasant there... :-j
  • Look, even a less polarized message in here gets unnoticed. Time to stay away here more often.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited November 2016 Posts: 8,090

GL, you are a very nice German lady indeed, but you understand practically nothing about Trump or the political machinations of my country's government (much like the majority of our own populace). Which is odd in that I've found that usually folks from your neck of the woods understand it all better than WE do. :))
    May I join you on Fantasy Island? It seems pleasant there... :-j

Could you sound more condescending?

Did you fail to notice that Hilary was the candidate with all the corporate interests funding her campaign? Did we forget that she and the DNC worked, sorry, colluded together to rig the primary and steal it from Bernie?

No clearly GL is mistaken, no corruption here, no way. Who ever heard of the Clinton family being associated with a scandal of some kind? Don't be silly...
    Look, even a less polarized message in here gets unnoticed. Time to stay away here more often.
    I noticed it; I just didn't have any comment to make on it.

• Trump won the election fair and square - now watch the Republican establishment insulate itself from criticism, reduction or change.

But he DIDN'T WIN "fair & square." He lost the popular vote and only took the electoral college by suppressing the vote in black areas in North Carolina, Wisconsin & other contested states. That's the point. He didn't win, any more than GW Bush did. "Fool me once, shame on you you. Fool me twice, uh --- Don't Get Fooled Again!"

You want change to a corrupt system that offers unfair advantages to rich, entitled people who dodge taxes and farm out jobs to cheap labour? Maybe don't elect a rich, entitled person who dodges taxes and farms out jobs to cheap labour.

You got that one right, Major. Here, get down with The Who:

He lost the popular vote and only took the electoral college by [voter suppression] in black areas in North Carolina, Wisconsin & other contested states.
    Beatles, you crack me up. You'll believe anything if backed up by facts. Free your mind.... let go... embrace simple reactionary opinion! Things and stuff get repeated for a REASON.

b-(
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited November 2016 Posts: 2,721
    I don't understand this complaining about the electoral college. If you disagree with it in principle then that's a different discussion but it has always been in place. It's part of the election - which Democrats knew they were entering into. He won that - under the current rules.

If you want to talk about voter suppression - then that goes in to a broader discussion that has specific examples that can be debated back and forth. And were the same ones that were happening in George W Bush's time and Obama's. I don't doubt that dirty politics have been engaged in - that is the nature of the system - and one only needs to look at Clinton's blocking of Sanders to see that some of HIS supporters claim their voice was not recognised and diminished.

Complaining about Trump's election victory seems counter-productive and can be easily dismissed, rightly or wrongly, by the victors. What would seem more productive - on this forum at least - is a discussion about the actual policies that Trump will enact. This is the issue I have with those that voted for him. Some did it as a protest vote. Simply to fight back at the out-of-touch liberal elite by voting for the out-of-touch conservative elite - who campaigned on nothing more than 'everything sucks - we'll fix it'.

Trump's policies are extreme ones that he must realise that he can never fulfil. He will not build a wall, he will not prosecute Clinton, he will not clean out Washington lobbyists. He could appoint conservative supreme court justices. Something, I think it's safe to say, he has displayed little interest in or understanding of. So I expect this to be an establishment Republican appointment.

I expect Trump will run into roadblocks quickly. He is in the fairly unique position of not only having a Democratic opposition to contend with but also a dubious and defensive Republican congress who will not just rubber stamp his demands - and in many cases will oppose them. This opposition will be spelt out to him behind close doors - and he will be struck with the reality of trying to 'changing the system' - something he hasn't explained how he intends to do anyway. And he has people like Gingrich and Christie who have benefitted all their political lives from the Washington gravy train so I find it disingenuous and insulting that they are claiming their place among the fresh bristles of this 'new broom'

What I see is an entrenchment from both sides - yet again. The pro-trump voices on this forum seem to be going from 'let's see what he's like' to 'he's awesome!' - because they are being attacked in their eyes. And they have to entrench themselves further. While the liberals are being called whining and entitled and even told that their genuine feelings, frustrations and protestations are nothing more than a left wing conspiracy paid for by interested parties.

And there are people with plenty to lose and be effected by if he actually enacts change. But that change will really be standard, Republican agendas. Nothing new.

What I'd prefer to see is a genuine discussion of policies - the ones Trump ran on his election campaign and ones that people on here believe will actually be made into law.

What I'd prefer to see is a genuine discussion of policies - the ones Trump ran on his election campaign and ones that people on here believe will actually be made into law.
    Trump doesn't himself what he's doing; how can one possibly theorize specifically except to cite who he's surrounding himself with?
    Sarah Palin will be especially entertaining from a comic POV.
This discussion has been closed.